PDA

View Full Version : Playing in a Pro event...

RedHell
08-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Yesterday, I received by mail the announcement of a new Pechauer Pro tour for Quebec. Tho, I'm nowhere near the speed to play on such a tour, I wondered something.

The tour will be playing one event at the PH I play in. Registration for pros is 125$ and 100$ for amateur. I thought that it could help my game to register to one event. It's a 100$ (Canadian mind you so it's like 50 cents for you my south-of-the-border-friends), and they play best of 17 double elimination. I will probably be 2 and out but, do you think that playing against a pro player for 18 games minimum is worth that money ?

BTW can someone help me on how is Pechauer pronounced ?

Tanx !

Barbara
08-14-2003, 09:07 AM
It's pronounced "peach-ow-er".

I say, go for it! I love to get a chance to shoot against the Pros! When we have "Open" events in JPNEWT and Karen Corr and Julie Kelly and Fran come out to play, it's a real treat to play against someone of their caliber for only $50! My most memorable tournament experience was trading racks with Karen Corr in Providence, RI for 6 games until she went into "safe mode" and froze me out for the rest of the match.

Barbara

RedHell
08-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I doubt that I would get the level of play you are refering to, but If I'm lucky I could draw Alain Martel or Danny Hewitt !

I don't really like Martel, but It would be nice to play Danny, he's a good chap and very easy going !

Steve Lipsky
08-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Red, at approximately what level do you play? I would say if you are at least a B, the tournament will be a great experience for you. (If you wacky Canadians /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif don't use the same ranking system, a B level player can run out frequently, but will miss about once a rack.)

Remember that a lot of "open" pro tournaments will draw quite a few players in your position; you could get a nice draw and win some matches as well.

If you play, good luck!

- Steve

RedHell
08-14-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm actually ranks C player in the VNEA. But I work a lot on my 9-ball over the summer and I believe in the right state of mind, I can play B level.

If I play for fun, I'll probably run at least one rack in a race to seven. As for running out, 6 and up is a given, I run 5 and up prolly 4 out of 5, it's at 4 and up that I start making silly mistake.

I know I would get my A$$ handed to me, but I wonder if the stress and the adrenaline experience would be good.

There hasn't been a game in a year that has brought that nervousness in me, and I usually excell when I feel that rush of stress and pressure thru my body.

Steve Lipsky
08-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Red, based on what you are writing, I think you're gonna do just fine. It'll be a great experience for you!

- Steve

RedHell
08-14-2003, 10:08 AM
BTW, thanks for the peach-ow-er ;-)

pooltchr
08-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I try to play against better players than myself any chance I get. It can be a learning experience, and it doesn't hurt to measure yourself against the best. It can give you some goals to work toward. Maybe you go 2 and out in your first one, and maybe the next time you win a match or two. You can really see what kind of progress you are getting in your game that way. Not to mention, it's FUN!!!!!!!!

Thierry Layani
08-14-2003, 01:36 PM
You could even draw me if you're lucky!
I'll be playing in every event this year. It's nice to finally have a 'big' tour in Quebec. I don't know your level but you have to come and play in this event. If many players like you decide to do so, then we all get a chance to maybe win a few matches.
I guess I'll see you in Quebec city!

Thierry Layani ~~hoping to win a few~~
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

rackmup
08-14-2003, 01:43 PM
I thought it was:

"Pee-shower"

(oh my...that doesn't look good at all)

Nevermind,

Ken

dg-in-centralpa
08-14-2003, 01:47 PM
I would jump at the chance to play with the pros. Even if I lose badly, the experience is worth the price. Also you can measure your skill against someone who is better. It is a great learning experience.

DG

RedHell
08-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Thierry,

Drawing you would be a pleasure. You might remember that we met in MTL (Scratch Brossard), about a week before Danny won the Atlantic city 10-ball. I was hoping to get in a few games with you but you went and hide yourself in the back playing someonelse ;-)

I saw the Layani logo in the sponsors and was very happy to see it. I hope someone will be showing your cues when the tour come to Quebec City.

People here needs to be introduced to other cues then Cuetec, hey I know a guy who dropped 400$Can for a Cuetec, I just couldn't believe it !

I'm still saving my money to get a Layani, the next one I buy will definetly be it !

Barbara
08-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Ken,

Trust me, when Scott answers the phone and says "peach-ow-er", you know that's how it's pronounced.

I was pronouncing it wrong!

Barbara~~~and they're my title sponsor! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

rackmup
08-14-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm glad I was wrong in my interpretation. Can you imagine their answering machine message:

"Hello, thanks for considering a Peeshower to improve your play..."

Regards,

Ken (good to be wrong sometimes...)

RedHell
08-14-2003, 02:19 PM
What next, a Peeshower with gold rings ?!?!?!

Fred Agnir
08-14-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>

BTW can someone help me on how is Pechauer pronounced ?

Tanx ! <hr /></blockquote>

According to Jerry Pechauer, it's pronounced: petchower.

But, what does he know, anyway?

Jerry Pechauer Pronunciation (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=19981119134032.24090.00000057%40ng35.aol.co m)

and

Jerry Pechauer Pronunciation Part Two (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=petch+group:rec.sport.billiard&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp; ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=01bc29ad%244a59a040%2430d812d0%40pjpechauer .dct.com&amp;rnum=3)

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-14-2003, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I thought it was:

"Pee-shower"<hr /></blockquote>

That's what I thought, too.

Fred's Pronunciation of Pechauer (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=733v1n%24l9b%241%40nnrp1.dejanews.com)

Hope this helps,

Fred

RedHell
08-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Interesting, the more we go on about this pronounciation the closer we get to how I prononced it.

I used pay-chower...

UWPoolGod
08-14-2003, 02:43 PM
I usually pronounce it pesh-hour...keep em coming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Oh man!! I'm STILL pronouncing it wrong???

Sorry Scott and Jerry...

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pooljunkie73
08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
RedHell,

If it was me, i would. It's always great to play the better compitition.

Do you have the full schedule? Some of us New Brunswickers might drive up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kent Mc.

Ralph S.
08-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Red. if you can afford to part with the entry fee money, I would do it with out a doubt. It will be a very good experience and about like paying for a lesson provided attention is payed. Also, lightning can strike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
08-15-2003, 08:10 AM
I do have it at home. I'll try to remember to bring to work on tuesday, and send it to you as a pdf. Would that help?

I haven't found an online site for it, but I think IPM might list the event. Not sure.

RedHell
08-15-2003, 08:16 AM
Oh man, would I ever pay attention !?!?!

When table are run against you, for some reason, it takes a whole different meaning. The only thing I enjoy more than watching my opponents running a rack, is me doing it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I have the right attitude to enjoy getting beat and learn from it ! For one thing I never get frustrated when my opponent is playing better than me, I sometimes get frustrated when I judge that I'm playing bad.

I guess it's normal.

pooljunkie73
08-15-2003, 10:30 AM
RedHell,

I'll PM you with my e-mail addy, you can send it there if you don't mind. Thanks alot.

Kent Mc.

Thierry Layani
08-17-2003, 10:48 AM
I remember. I had committed to someone else unfortunately. I hope to see you in Montreal again, or else in Quebec city.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)