PDA

View Full Version : Rules Questions

UTAddb
08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
9 ball- You are being spotted the 8, If it is illegally pocketed does it stay down or is it spotted like the 9? What if you make the 8 legally but scratch?
Another thing, I was looking up the rules for my college and a couple things looked strange.

<font color="blue"> JUMPED OBJECT BALLS: All stay pocketed; no penalty if a legal shot is executed at the same time (except 9-ball).
ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS: All spotted. (Common Option, coin-operated play: None spotted except the game ball).</font color>
If you hit a ball off the table while making a legal shot, it's just like making a ball? I've never heard of illegally pocketed balls being spotted(maybe to stop intentional fouls)? Can someone please decipher these? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

holls
08-14-2003, 10:37 AM
UTA-

assume you are being spotted the 8 ball...

It all depends on who's shooting. If your opponent is shooting and illegally pockets the 8, then it gets spotted. If you're shooting and you illegally pocket the 8, then it stays down.

If you pocket the 8 and scratch, then your opponent gets bih and the 8 stays down. If your opponenet pockets the 8 and scratches, you get bih and the 8 gets spotted.

Hope this helps.

Leviathan
08-14-2003, 04:23 PM
UTAddb: I think that holls is describing common practice rather than "official" rules. I don't think that the BCA rules or the Texas Express rules say anything about handicapping of this kind. If you're gonna play in some local tournament, and the TD announces that women get the Eight, it doesn't hurt to ask him or her how these situations will be handled. No need to take these things for granted--local variations are common.

DM

SPetty
08-14-2003, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> JUMPED OBJECT BALLS: All stay pocketed; no penalty if a legal shot is executed at the same time (except 9-ball).

<font color="black">This conflicts with the BCA rules (BCA 9-ball rules (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_9bl.shtml)), as well as the Texas Express rules (whose link I can't get probably due to the current power outage), in that it is a foul to jump an object ball off the table. The balls do, however, stay down and are not spotted. </font color>

ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS: All spotted. (Common Option, coin-operated play: None spotted except the game ball).</font color>

<font color="black">This conflicts with the BCA rules as well as the Texas Express rules. All illegally pocketed balls stay down and are not spotted except for the nine ball. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>