PDA

View Full Version : hello..i'm new. Shaft question

jcaccord
08-14-2003, 10:56 AM
hey everyone...been a lurker for awhile and finally decided to register.

anyways..I just bought a Lucasi L-D2 about 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty happy about the cue, since my first one was a cuetec about 2 years ago, which i sold within 3 months because i hated that fiberglass shaft. When I got my lucasi, the shaft felt nice, but then i realized that I did not like that waxy feeling at all from the "french cue wax" they apply at the factory. I prefer the smooth raw wood feel much better than the waxy coating that tends to get tacky.

What is the best way to acheive that raw wood feel? I know i could prolly sand off the wax, but i'm kind of afraid. Is 600 grit too coarse, or should i go at least 100 grit? also, once all the wax is off, do i just leave the bare wood, or should i still put on some kind of protective coating? remember, i dont' want that weird feeling of wax, reminds me too much of my cuetec.

thanks for the help guys.

Carlton31698
08-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Stay with 600 or above; I use 1000 to 1500 on my cue. The best way I have found to take the wax off is to use a shaft cleaner like clean stroke. I clean my shaft with clean stroke, then give it a light sanding with 1000 grit to take off the wax. Alcohol and lighter fluid can be used; I have never used either so some one else can give you better advice on them. I also burnish my shaft with a leather pad; this gives a feel kind of between the wax and plain wood. Good luck with your cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s. If you are not sure about doing it yourself a cue repair person, or a cue maker can do it for under 15.00 dollars.

jcaccord
08-14-2003, 05:08 PM
oops...haha i meant 1000 grit.

cool thanks for the reply. with the sanding....i dont' have a lathe or shaft spinner. would it be okay if i just wrap the sandpaper around the shaft and spin it while lightly applying pressure with the sandpaper..and jus move the sandpaper up and down the shaft?

Ralph S.
08-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Welcome aboard. Best advice as far as the shaft is to take it to a pro shop and let them put in on a lathe. Specify that you want just a minute amout taken down..just enough to knock the wax coating off.

hemicudas
08-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Don't waste the money, you can do it. 600, then 1000, then emery cloth, then rolled-up black and white news paper. The dried ink works as a sealer. All the "Old" players know about this and do it. You will love the feel.

Rod
08-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Bill, How old do you need to be? LOL

hemicudas
08-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Hey Rod, some of the young guys might know about it too. It is virtually impossible to make a shaft crooked if you continually turn the shaft every 3-4 strokes. Just pick a # 3,4,5 or what ever and turn it after the same # of strokes. Another good thing about doing it this way is you are going in the direction of your stroke and not against the grain of your stroke like a lathe does. And Rod, you don't have to be old at all to "Know how to stroke it up and down". I'm sure we all have been there, LOL.

Rod
08-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Whew, Im relieved, er what I mean is ok I understand. Just kidding with ya Bill. I didn't do it the same but close, no newspaper. I'd never heard of the newspaper and ink sealer. Sometimes it's an area thing.

I do remember watching Dandy Dick Landy and a few others at Lyons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

SPetty
08-15-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hemicudas:</font><hr> ...then rolled-up black and white news paper. The dried ink works as a sealer. <hr /></blockquote>When I read the newspaper, my fingers get black from the ink. Based on that, I'd fear that the newspaper would discolor my shaft. Does that happen?

RedHell
08-15-2003, 09:13 AM
I feel exactly the same... I wouldn't like a grey darkish shaft !!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Carlton31698
08-15-2003, 10:26 AM
You can use a brown paper bag in place of news paper.