PDA

View Full Version : Yo!! All Youse NYCers!!!

Barbara
08-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Check in with us when the lights come back on!!!

Fran?? Carol?? Eric.?? - I heard North NJ was out, too. Steve??

NJ mobilized their National Guard but NY didn't????

It's been a cascade of blackouts starting from the Niagra Mohawk Power Company to the way down the NY state north-to-south.

Yow!! You'da think they would've learned from '65.

Barbara~~~just waiting....

Ralph S.
08-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Wow, I know Wendy has been in a bad mood lately, but did ya really have to go to such drastic actions? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I gotta razz ya just a little LOL.

Eric.
08-14-2003, 05:15 PM
It's a mess. Everything is out. We're on back-up power. I hear people were stuck on subways and elevators. It looks a little better now that the traffic lights are back on and the crowds walking down the streets have subsided. For awhile, it looked like New Years in Times Square.

Eric >going home

Barbara
08-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Eric!!

Glad to hear you're okay!! Yeah it does look like New Year's Eve on tv but during the day!

If you hear from Fran, let me know.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
08-14-2003, 07:20 PM
I'll bet there will be a baby explosion in 9 months.
DG

WesK
08-14-2003, 08:01 PM
You all just be careful and be safe.

Take care,

wes

bluewolf
08-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Eric,

Nice to see you here. We were at league and saw ny on tv. How in the world did all the lights go out?

Laura

CarolNYC
08-15-2003, 06:03 AM
YO BARB,
Thanks for asking-alls well here-Fran still does not have power!
Power went out yesterday at 4:05 pm-it came back on at 2;00 am and shut back off at 3:30 am-didnt come back on till 7:15 this morning!(I was just leaving to Manhatten-could you picture me STUCK in the Holland Tunnel-I dont think so!:)
I just want to say that NY pulled together strong on this one!:)In my area, alot of homes had back-up generators-it was amazing and then the neighbors were outstanding,offering help if needed,sitting on porches in the candlelight and flashlight,ha ha ha ha, How strong is that?
Me, personally, TOTALLY unprepared,ha ha ha, thank God I burn "buttercream" Yankee Candles-ah, my house smelt like cookies baking!
I pray that all is well for others-many were stranded in serious conditions!
Carol~calling the "Survivor"show:):):)

cheesemouse
08-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Carol,
In the last couple of years my opinion of New Yorkers has under gone a complete reversal...You folks are the best.....Happy trails /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
08-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Hey there Cheesemouse,
I think the people in our country ,as a whole, are pretty strong, its just that "the City that never sleeps!" "Never has a dull moment!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif:)
I just wanna share something my daughter did(shes 19)-our central bathroom is very dark, so she positioned two big wall mirrors,so, that one caught the sunlight and angled it into the other mirror which was angled into the bathroom and "Voila" instant light!Just thought that was pretty cool!:):):)
You take care and stay very well-Always a pleasure!
Carol:):):)~looking to hear from Wendy and Naz!Cm'on!

9 Ball Girl
08-15-2003, 07:23 AM
A little long...

So I get to work early so that I can leave early to get to the Players Meeting for the Big Apple Tournament in Queens. Yeah right.

I was just about to step into the elevator at work (26 Federal Plaza) when the doors froze midway and the lights went out. I was like, "what the hell?". Anyway, since I had things to do and I didn't know the extent of the problem, I told my coworkers that I just had to leave on time today. Since the elevators weren't working and I work on the 40th floor, yup you guessed it, I walked down the 40 flights. In my 4 inch heels in the heat!

I get outside and figured I'd hail a cab to Brooklyn 'cause I wanted to change into nonwork clothes but when I saw how slow the traffic was moving, I figured I'd take the bus. I still hadn't realized there were no traffic lights. I walk the 5 blocks to where the bus to Brooklyn stops only to see that they were completely packed. The trains were out and I just stood there baking in the sun for about 40 minutes trying to figure out things. Then the inevitable:

I started my trek across the Brooklyn Bridge. I didn't even walk on the pedestrian portion of the bridge, I walked along side the heat of the cars trying to cross too. As I'm walking across, I'm thinking about the last time I'd done this which was back on 9/11/01 and people were covered in dust. This time some people were covered in soot 'cause they had evacuated the trains throught the tunnels. Anyway, the majority of the people were leaving Manhattan towards Brooklyn when some noticed that the otherside of the bridge (entering Manhattan) was less crowded. So people started to cross the rafters to get to that side! I thought about it 'til I looked down and saw the water! As inviting as that water looked, I was in no mood to go for a dip! There were some of the men that were taking off their shirts and pouring water on themselves. Now that just wasn't fair. Not fair at all!

Anways, I get to Brooklyn and figure I catch a bus there. Right. Jammed packed. I walked about 16 blocks to see if I can get another bus at its first stop but that was jammed packed and every bus that came read "Next Bus Pleae". Sigh. Meanwhile, after walking so much in these 4 inch heels of mine (curse me for loving shoes with heels!), I swore I looked like I was doing the Funky Chicken as I walked! LOL. I wound up sitting at restaurant/bar to give my feet a rest for about 1.5 hour after I asked the owner if it was okay. And then I saw the green felt. Okay so I played for about 15 minutes and my feet couldn't take it anymore!

After my rest, I started to walk to my parents place which was about 20 blocks from where I was. I got 3/4 of the way when I saw my friend at the car service base that I use. He's one of the drivers and I know several of the other guys 'cause they know me as the pool player that's always getting dropped off at either my place or at a pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That was at about 7:45PM and I stayed there til about 11:30 PM and there were people still wallking in from Manhattan . The cab drivers had all bought beers and chips so you know...

Another bud drives me home. I get out of the car realizing that I have no flashlights in my apartment. My neighbor was outside waiting for his wife with a flashlight and he walked me up the walk so that I can atleast sey the keyhole. I walked/felt my way up the stairs to the 5th floor, felt my way to the door and keyholes. I walked in and waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I remembered that I had a candle in my linen closet and found that after having things fall on my head. I showered up and went to bed.

I couldn't really sleep 'cause it was hot as hell and there was no powere to even have the fan turned on but I must have drifted off. I woke up again at about 3AM and just lay there boiling in the heat. At exactly 4:35 AM, the power came on. Eureka! I was then able check my cell phone messages, call my Mom and sisters.

The trains still aren't running as they need about 6-8 hours to make sure signals are working, so I'm going to have to cab it to Master Billiards and be there by 6 PM for the Big Apple evening matches. That's still on by the way, they're starting at 11 AM this morning.

I didn't care about the heat. I didn't care about the walk or that I did it all in 4 inch heels. To me, the most frustration came from not being able to get in contact with anyone.

WesK
08-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Great story. I am just glad to hear that you're OK.

w

WesK
08-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Cool.

I am so glad to hear that things are getting back to normal up there (more or less).

Take care,

wes

Barbara
08-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear you're okay!

Barbara~~~knows Carol's always okay... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
08-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Man, was it DARK.

Got out of work at 1 a.m. and started walking with a co-worker up Ninth Ave. in the 30s, which can be a little creepy. Shadowy groups of people hanging around, but you couldn't size em up from a distance. Unnerving. Fortunately, I'd been playing that afternoon, so as a precaution, call it 70s-flashback paranoia, I dished out the butt of my break cue to my friend and I carried butt of play cue by my side.

No hassles, as it turned out. And, of course, a cop finally took notice and grabbed my arm, right by the Port Authority ... "Hey, what choo got dere!" We explained ourselves adequately and cop sez: "Put em back in the case, just leave it unzipped if you need em." Had a sick feeling for a second there that my cues would be sitting in an evidence bag at Midtown South for the next 8 months. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ended up getting our hands on something -- ANYTHING -- cold at the most dependable dive in the neighborhood, Rudy's and refreshed ourselves till about 2:30, which was the earliest LAST CAWL!! I can ever remember there. But what a relief ... everything at home was luke warm, of course.

Power finally came on at 1 p.m., but still out in the nabe around work right now. What a pain. Kept me from getting over to Master Billiards for the action today.

CarolNYC
08-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Wendy,
Glad to hear your okay and I hope the millions of others that had to walk over the bridges arrived home to their families,safely!
Now, for the 4 inch heels-yo girl, they woulda been thrown off the Brooklyn Bridge in a HEARTBEAT!
Glad you okay!
Carol~loves her pedicures and knows Wendy can use one!My TREAT!:):):):) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
08-15-2003, 03:19 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifYOU BETCHA!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks Wes,
The power shut off today from 10 am and just turned back on at 4 pm-they say it'll be awhile till "Scottie can beam us up!" ha ha ha ha-but we're doing fine!
Thanks so much!Hey, and you take care,okay!
Stay well!
Carol:):):)~Fran still doesnt have power!

Fran Crimi
08-16-2003, 07:02 AM
That was fun. (Not)

We were out of power for 24 hours. Hot as hell trying to sleep with no fans and barely a breeze. Plus, my bedroom balcony door had sealed shut due to the humidity and it wouldn't open, no matter what we did. I was told we needed "power tools" to get it open. Great. We finally got it open an hour before the power came back. I was about to hack through it with an ax.

It was 92 degrees inside and with the humidity it felt like 100. I spent the night in a recliner in the living room with a flashlight in one hand and a battery-powered radio in the other, listening to talk show after talk show. Some of them were pretty good. Haha!

We lost our hot water after 6 hours and I took a total of 14 showers, mostly cold. The refrigerated food spoiled and there was nothing to eat other than packaged food you can mix with water. Sounds like the Army. The supermarkets eventually reopened on power generators to sell dry goods. It was really creepy...there were barely lights and you had to feel your way around the aisles.

Ok, so what's next? Bring it on. We can take it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran ~~ really really appreciates air conditioning.

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Yup, I got the pedicure and I would never, ever throw my Jimmy Choos overboard! I'd go first!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
08-16-2003, 10:03 PM
My internet service just started working sometime between 1:00 pm today and now.

When the lights went out I happened to be working across the street from a bar where some other roofers hang out, so I just headed over there for some beers while they were still cold. Around dusk, I drove home and didn't have to stop for any lights. Thats my kind of driving. When I got home, I found everybody on my block outside and partying. Hehehe.
=Tom

Hopster
08-16-2003, 10:24 PM
We were out of power for 24 hours. Hot as hell trying to sleep with no fans and barely a breeze. Plus, my bedroom balcony door had sealed shut due to the humidity and it wouldn't open, no matter what we did. I was told we needed "power tools" to get it open. Great. We finally got it open an hour before the power came back. I was about to hack through it with an ax. <--Fran

Hack thru it with an ax. Hmmmmmm,I didnt think you were the hacking type Fran. lol
Anyway, i was thinking about you guys and im glad all is straightened out. Thankfully it was nowhere near the one in 77. A lot of people here were too young to remember all that went on during that one but it was brutal. I was 17 at the time and had to stand guard inside a place in Queens with a pistol all night.
Im just glad everyone is one piece.

SPetty
08-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Our local Fox affiliate has a segment called "Tell It To Tim" where viewers call to complain about the local programming, newscasters, stories, etc. They aired things from locals that made me feel embarrassed and ashamed to be from the same city. Some guy called in to complain that they had interrupted his favorite show, something called "Judge Judy", in order to tell him about people in New York without power. Another caller complained something along the lines of "Who cares? Who cares what's going on in New York?" I was shocked and dismayed at this awful display of ignorant selfishness...

I'm really glad that so far, all you guys who lost power for so long have come through it so well. How's that go? "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger"?

Fran Crimi
08-18-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I'm really glad that so far, all you guys who lost power for so long have come through it so well. How's that go? "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger"? <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for your kind words, SPetty. By now we should all be champion prize fighters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think Albert Einstein said it best: "There are only two absolutes: infinity and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former."

Fran