PDA

View Full Version : Life for kids

Qtec
08-15-2003, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- A lawyer for a boy who killed at age 12 pleaded Thursday for a chance at clemency, telling state officials "he'll never be in trouble again."

Richard Rosenbaum made the appeal on behalf of Lionel Tate, who was sentenced to life without parole for the 1999 death of 6-year-old Tiffany Eunick.

Tate's trial lawyer said Tate was imitating professional wrestlers, but Rosenbaum has disclaimed that account, saying the 160-pound boy accidentally killed the 50-pound girl by jumping on her. Prosecutors argued the boy intentionally stomped, punched and kicked the girl.

<hr /></blockquote>

I dont know all the details , but I have a few questionsabout this , maybe somebody can put me straight.

Is it right that the state can sentence a kid to life without parole ?
How could they prove that it was his intent to murder ?
Why is it that if he confesses [ whether he is guilty or not ] 3 years is sufficient and if he excercises his right to go to trail and loses , life with no parole is waiting for him ?

Dont you think that in many cases like this , innocent people take a plea because the consequences of losing are so severe.

Barbaric is the word that springs to mind.

Q

eg8r
08-15-2003, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know all the details , but I have a few questionsabout this , maybe somebody can put me straight. <font color="blue"> Ouch, did it hurt to finally admit that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Is it right that the state can sentence a kid to life without parole ? <font color="blue"> It seems a bit harsh to me. </font color>
How could they prove that it was his intent to murder ? <font color="blue"> Did you read any of the court documents or any of the testimony? The answers might be in there. </font color>
Why is it that if he confesses [ whether he is guilty or not ] 3 years is sufficient and if he excercises his right to go to trail and loses , life with no parole is waiting for him ? <font color="blue"> That is a gamble you take. If you believe you are innocent than you need to make a decision. It is tough to look at the legal system and believe the "innocent until proven guilty" line that they feed you. </font color>

Dont you think that in many cases like this , innocent people take a plea because the consequences of losing are so severe. <font color="blue"> I don't know if most, but I am sure there are some. We also have a lot of innocent people claiming they did the crime so that they can go to jail. </font color>

Barbaric is the word that springs to mind. <font color="blue"> Okey Dokey </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> eg8r </font color>

Qtec
08-15-2003, 07:07 AM
I know you dont like him , but Micheal Moore did a piece on the state of affairs in Nevada State County. MM,s wife or sister was working there as an attourney and blew the whistle.
In 1998, 998 people were sent to prison. Only one person had a trail in court . The rest were plea bargains.
In 1999, roughly the same jail sentences were given out and there were 5 trials.

It turned out that the Public Defender was in cahoots with the DA and pressured ordinary people to take a deal . A man whose baby died at home [ the baby had a genetic defect ]was pressured into taking 2 years in jail or take the risk of life imprisonment.

Lets say you leave your local PH and there is a man lying covered in blood next to your car. You try to help the guy but its too late . The police arrive and you are arrested .Some old biddy that called the police swears it was you . What do you do . take a deal, get 5 years [ you will only do 3 years tops ] or do you go to trail and maybe get life. Even if you have the money for a good attourney, its still a risk.

Now imagine you are black and not rich.

Do you see my point?

Q

Qtec
08-15-2003, 07:47 AM
eg8r , most of your posts at least make me smile . This one had me rolling about.

Where is your proof?

" We also have a lot of innocent people claiming they did the crime so that they can go to jail."

Q

eg8r
08-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Go down to the jail any day of the week. Maybe you could answer some of the phone lines at the police department and see what tips come in when a guy gets killed. Every time a bunch of people will call in saying they did it. For some people out there, life in jail is easier than having to go to work everyday to pay the bills.

eg8r &lt;~~~Has two friends that work hotlines for the PD and laugh at a bunch of the tips that come in

eg8r
08-15-2003, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It turned out that the Public Defender was in cahoots with the DA and pressured ordinary people to take a deal . A man whose baby died at home [ the baby had a genetic defect ]was pressured into taking 2 years in jail or take the risk of life imprisonment. <hr /></blockquote> I have no doubt that there is corruption in the legal system (Attorneys are the worst).

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you leave your local PH and there is a man lying covered in blood next to your car. You try to help the guy but its too late . The police arrive and you are arrested .Some old biddy that called the police swears it was you . What do you do . take a deal, get 5 years [ you will only do 3 years tops ] or do you go to trail and maybe get life. Even if you have the money for a good attourney, its still a risk. <hr /></blockquote> I will fight it.

eg8r