PDA

View Full Version : Getting Re-aquainted with old Mr Natural Angle

bigbro6060
08-15-2003, 07:10 AM
I've felt in my game in the last several months that as my cue ball control has improved heaps, i have being trying to look for ways to complicate my positional play, maybe subconsciously to show off my improved control with all spins.

I've started a simple drill where i break the balls up, take cueball in hand and try and run as many balls as possible just using central ball hits

I have done a whole rack a couple of times!

anyone else feel they have lost sight of the value of central ball position ?

pooltchr
08-15-2003, 11:02 AM
I dare say 90% of the students I work with use too much side spin. We are all probably guilty of this, and your drill is a great way to get back to the basics of cue ball control. What you do with speed and the natural angles can usually get you where you need to be. Great suggestion!

bigbro6060
08-19-2003, 06:05 PM
any other responses ?

sledhamrbrk
08-20-2003, 09:45 AM
There is much to be learned from searching down the path of the focus on delivering your tip to the core center of the cue ball.

The importance of center ball or core center is certainly not emphasized with the importance that should be. Very little training media such as books and videos place the high importance of cueing at center.

A center ball focus will bring a player back to the only 2 things we can do with them balls.

Line and force.

Line can be achieved by 2 methods,

Method A- is to follow the natural path of the carom.
Method B- is to alter the natural path by applying spin.

Force = ball speed.

Method A- is predictable and offers few suprises when dealing with fair condition equipment.The same can not be said for excessive use of method B.It is loaded with suprises and most of them not the kind that make you smile ,and keep you at the table.

Center Ball

1-Virtually eliminates deflection issues.

2-o.b. path is much more predictable.

3-Greatly reduces effects that could cause us to miss balls

4-Develops a new awareness of speed control (Force)

5- A ball struck at center is much more "forgiving" on those slightly mis-hit shots.