PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Amway Cup in Taiwan

04-05-2002, 02:49 PM
2002 Amway Cup in Taiwan
April 5th~7th
Players:
Allison, Karen, Helena, Vivian, Gerda, Monica, Jennifer, Shin-Mei Liu, Kajitani,...,12 players
Bonus:
Champion: 20,000 US dollars,
2nd: 10,000 US dollars,
3~12th: ?...etc
The Webpage of Amway Cup in Chinese version(without English version):
http://sport.videoland.com.tw/event/2002amway/amway4.asp
The Results:
http://sport.videoland.com.tw/event/2002amway/amway2.asp

Tom_In_Cincy
04-05-2002, 04:17 PM
My Chinese is a little rusty.. is there an interpreter in the house.. hope Mike Howerton at AZBilliards has some updates..

04-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I was working on my Mandarin and written Chinese when I was dating a pro player from Taiwan. But when the relationship ended, so did my motivation. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

There are updates at AZBilliards.com. (No, I'm not the Mike from AZBilliards.)

Jennifer and Shin-Mei are both undefeated so far. With Jennifer beating Allison 7-0!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Wow... Ms Fisher loses 0-7? that is a story.. I wonder if any media will pick up on that?

04-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah. I'm really proud of and happy for Jennifer. That's quite an accomplishment. I tried calling her Taiwan number last night, but whoever answered the phone (a relative of hers that has answered before, and knows to toss the phone Jennifer's direction when some American person calls and Jennifer is around /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) didn't speak a word of English! Like I said, I gave up on my Mandarin lessons some time ago!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-05-2002, 04:51 PM
I lived in Japan for a year (in the 60s) and met some of the sweetest women I have ever encountered. But, to my surprise, they all spoke better english than I did.. very formal and very well mannared. Loved Japan..

04-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I know some Japanese pro player's too. I'm probably going to go over there within the next year for some Pool related event. Just don't know which one yet. Probably the Japan Open, since that one will by far have the most players I know. A friend of mine here has been to some pro events in Japan before, and is always talking about wanting to go back. He loves Japan, also.

I've never been out of the U.S., except to Canada. And that doesn't count. I don't even have a passport!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Traveling (even to Canada) can really expand you social opinion of any ethnic group. Cultures are so very different and a lot of times the differences are good compared to the US culture.. we really do have it easy compared to the rest of the world..

Would love to travel to Japan for the world open..

Cueless Joey
04-05-2002, 06:51 PM
I've been to Japan twice. Briefly. Place is expensive. Taxi from Narita to Tokyo is close to $200. Vending machine coffee was 4 bucks. Jeesh! If you guys go, take some Disneyland t-shirts and sell them. Take a set of Tiger Woods clubs. Take cowboy boots. Take AMERICAN made cues of course. Sell them to pay for the trip.

HarryDC
04-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Hey,

To bad Chen Chen doesn't play so well on the road. In fact
she can't even show up on time. I wonder who does her booking. Anyway lets here it for a great AMERICAN PLAYER
Ms. Monica Webb from Atlanta Georgia who has defeated Corr and Yukawa both 7 to 1. I'm backing Ms. Webb to be in the top three when the dust settles maybe even the winner if she can put the bag on Chen.

HarryDC

04-05-2002, 08:02 PM
1st: Her Chinese name is "Chun-Chen", not "Chen Chen". "Chun-Chen" is hir first name, and "Chen" is her last name. In Chinese, they say the surname first. So it would be "Chen Chun-Chen".

2nd: She finished the first two WPBA tournaments last year 2nd, behind Karen Corr. She finished 4th in the BCA 9-ball last year in Vegas, behind Jeanette Lee, Karen Corr, and Allison Fisher. That's not doing too bad "on the road".

3rd: She was late to the most recent WPBA tournament because of being snowed in at Minneapolis. Along with a few thousand other people. Including an AMERICAN WPBA player, who also was late to the tournament.

HarryDC
04-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Mike,

Good I livened up these threads which read like a trailer for love boat. I know exactly what her name is Ms. Chun-chen
Chen. I know she's not American so why would I cheer for her
in a contest of an international nature? I have two American
Champions Ms. Vivian Villareal who has defeated Ms. Yukawa 7 to 6 and Ms. Chang 7 to 3. Ms. Monica Webb who has defeated Ms. Corr 7 to 1 and Ms. Yukawa 7 to 1. Both my American champions are 2-0 on the day. I don't forsake Americans on the field of competition just as I didn't on the battlefield. Try cheering for the Americans once in a while.

HarryDC

04-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Harry, certainly Monica's win is big for her - the first time she's ever beaten either Corr or Fisher in a tourney match. It would be nice to see a real American break through on the scene sometime soon, but I just don't know if it will be Monica.

She's got the heart, but her unorthadox alignment/form (wrist bent at a 90% angle to her forearm) is hardly textbook. IMO it will be very hard for her to develop any more consistency under pressure until she looks at making some changes in that area. The fact that she hasn't made any apparent attempt to change it in the 3+ years since joining the tour tells me she probably doesn't feel she needs to - as surely she's been told this by others far more knowledgeable than myself.

Anyway, one has to wonder what's going on with Karen Corr. I watched her play in VF and she clearly was rattled and off her game, and I'm not just talking about her matches against Allison. I figured as a result of her VF performance that she'd work even harder and come back strong in Taiwan. But now it appears she may not even qualify for the second phase.

The Asian women are always tough in this event, but if Allison can make it through to the second phase she figures to be tough to beat - particularly if Corr is not among those she'll have to contend with. Don't count Gerda out either. She's been practicing hard and out to prove something this year.

As always, my thanks go out to Mike Howerton at azbilliards for keeping us up to date on this event. - Chris in NC

04-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Isn't that similar to Keith McCready ?

04-06-2002, 01:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HarryDC:</font><hr> Mike,

Good I livened up these threads which read like a trailer for love boat. I know exactly what her name is Ms. Chun-chen
Chen. I know she's not American so why would I cheer for her
in a contest of an international nature? I have two American
Champions Ms. Vivian Villareal who has defeated Ms. Yukawa 7 to 6 and Ms. Chang 7 to 3. Ms. Monica Webb who has defeated Ms. Corr 7 to 1 and Ms. Yukawa 7 to 1. Both my American champions are 2-0 on the day. I don't forsake Americans on the field of competition just as I didn't on the battlefield. Try cheering for the Americans once in a while.

HarryDC <hr></blockquote>
Hairy,
you are too funny! Were you born an [censored] or did you work at it your whole miserable life???

P.S.- does DC stand for Dinky Cock?

HarryDC
04-06-2002, 06:38 AM
Chris,
I understand all the technical parts but Ms. Monica Webb has one of the best natural strokes I have ever seen. I played in the WPBA Charity Event on Allison Fisher's team and I got to see Monica's stroke close up. The cue tip is in perfect position at point of contact and that is all that really counts to me.

HarryDC

HarryDC
04-06-2002, 06:43 AM
Charlie,

Yes, Keith is very much like Monica's when it comes to stroke and form. Monica and Keith are both very great players. The American's are both 2-0 after day one and I'm pulling for them to be in it at the end. Allison isn't dead
yet so anything can happen.

HarryDC

04-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Charlie, actually Keith and Monica are at opposite extremes of the alignment spectrum, and both great players. Keith is sidearm with his elbow a foot or more inside his wrist, and his wrist cupped upwards towards his forearm at 90% (Greenleaf style). By contrast, Monica's elbow is close to a foot outside (further from her side) than her wrist, with her wrist curled away from her forearm at a 90% angle, cradling the cue with in her hand as she strokes.

Yes, I agree that when it's all said and done, the only thing that really matters is that the cue (front and back) remains perfectly on-line throughout the stroke. Not to say there aren't always exceptions, but it just seems alot easier for most of us to do that consistently when the elbow is directly above the wrist and the butt of the cue (like Allison) - which is why it is taught that way as a starting point for beginners. - Chris in NC

Ross
04-06-2002, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HarryDC:</font><hr>
I don't forsake Americans on the field of competition just as I didn't on the battlefield. Try cheering for the Americans once in a while.

HarryDC,

It is possible to cheer for the US players without unfairly disparaging their opponents. You wrote two unflattering remarks about Chen (can't win on the road, can't show up on time) neither of which was accurate or a fair assessment of her character. Someone corrects you and you imply he is un-American?

HarryDC
04-06-2002, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ross:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: HarryDC:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
I don't forsake Americans on the field of competition just as I didn't on the battlefield. Try cheering for the Americans once in a while.

HarryDC &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
HarryDC,

It is possible to cheer for the US players without unfairly disparaging their opponents. You wrote two unflattering remarks about Chen (can't win on the road, can't show up on time) neither of which was accurate or a fair assessment of her character. Someone corrects you and you imply he is un-American?
<hr></blockquote>

Ross,

Fact: Ms. Chen was late when 62 other players were on time inspite of the weather. I know exactly what her name is Chun-chen Chen. Maybe you should try cheering for some Americans and stop worring about disparaging remarks as Ms.
Monica Webb an American may get a chance to play Ms. Chen if
she can beat an Austrian Ms. Gerda Hofstatter. Ms. Chen's record in on the road matches is 48%. I didn't disparage Ms.Chen. I just told the truth on her and you though it was disparaging. My remarks are totally accurate and have nothing to do with Ms. Chun-chen Chen chracter which I consider impeccable. So you try cheering for some Americans
Ross?

HarryDC

04-07-2002, 12:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HarryDC:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Ross:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: HarryDC:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;

HarryDC &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
HarryDC,

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Ross,

Fact: Ms. Chen was late when 62 other players were on time inspite of the weather. I know exactly what her name is Chun-chen Chen. Maybe you should try cheering for some Americans and stop worring about disparaging remarks as Ms.
Monica Webb an American may get a chance to play Ms. Chen if
she can beat an Austrian Ms. Gerda Hofstatter. Ms. Chen's record in on the road matches is 48%. I didn't disparage Ms.Chen. I just told the truth on her and you though it was disparaging. My remarks are totally accurate and have nothing to do with Ms. Chun-chen Chen chracter which I consider impeccable. So you try cheering for some Americans
Ross?

Hey Harry: SHAADAAAP!

04-07-2002, 01:43 AM
I root for my friends. Jennifer is a close friend of mine, so I root for her. I don't care what country she or any of her opponents are from.

I'm also friends with two other top-10 ranked WPBA players, who are also playing in the Amway cup. I root for them, too. And they don't happen to be Americans. And again, I don't care what country they are or aren't from.

Mike - Playing in a tournament in Canada for the weekend. And at this very moment, rooting for an American. (The Pool hall has a computer on the Internet) But it is because he is a good friend of mine. Again, I don't care about what country he or his opponent are from.

04-07-2002, 08:05 AM
Sleeze I mean Gezz,

Your just as much a contributor in this forum as you are in all the rest. Your intelligence is remarkable.

Anonymous

Ross
04-07-2002, 12:16 PM
HarryDC,
You win. I give up. You weren't disparaging Jennifer. You know her name. I need to root more for Americans.

HarryDC
04-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Mike,

My sincere apologies if I disturbed your pool shooting. Your loyalty is commendable. I cheer for my friends too so I
should chill a little as one of friends defended her tournament championship by defeating Ms. Gerda Hofstatter 11 to 3. Please, chill a little yourself. I have over 200 friends all over the world who play pool so I understand your feelings.

HarryDC

04-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Mike just curious how and where you became friends with Jennifer.... her and I were quite good freinds while she lived in Vancouver but she seems to kinda shrug me off every year now when I see her in vegas so I dont bother anymore

04-08-2002, 10:42 AM
Just the same way I became friends with most people. She was a friend of a friend, and we got introduced at some point. I didn't know her when she lived in Vancouver, because I wasn't playing Pool yet.

04-08-2002, 11:06 AM
I also know Allison and Gerda, although not as well as I know Jennifer. I am really rooting for Allison to get her #1 ranking back. She and Gerda are two of the most wonderful, pleasant people I've ever known. I could never bring myself to root against them, even when they are playing Jennifer or each other. I kinda stay neutral in those matches, and am just happy for whoever wins. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

HarryDC
04-08-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> I also know Allison and Gerda, although not as well as I know Jennifer. I am really rooting for Allison to get her #1 ranking back. She and Gerda are two of the most wonderful, pleasant people I've ever known. I could never bring myself to root against them, even when they are playing Jennifer or each other. I kinda stay neutral in those matches, and am just happy for whoever wins. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Mike,

Allison lives in North Carolina and Gerda in Brooklyn, They play on felt. They belong to everyone who loves the sport of pool. I was just thinking how dull pool would be without
them. Oh, Allison is ranked number one in world in WPA points, the WPA Women's World Champion and so far this season she has won 14 matches and lost only 1 0-7 loss to Ms.Chen won 2 tournaments and $30,000.00. Just sure as the
sun rise she will regain WPBA NO. 1.

HarryDC

Fred Agnir
04-08-2002, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Charlie:</font><hr> Isn't that similar to Keith McCready ? <hr></blockquote>

It's opposite. McCready has a side-arm chicken wing, elbow tucked to the body. Monica Webb has a severe reverse chicken wing (elbow out, wrist curled under).

Fred

OntheSnap
04-08-2002, 01:26 PM
I view it that we are all members of a single fairly small "pool community" with a common love for the game that transcends geographical/political borders

I couldnt believe Earl when he adomonished the crowd at the US open for rooting for "a foreigner". As far as im concerned, there are no foreingers at the pool table but there are some Jerks!