PDA

View Full Version : CCB Cue Raffle

SPetty
08-15-2003, 12:51 PM
From another post:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>For those who don't know the story (that's everyone except for one regular, one newbie, and a hundred lurkers) a real sharp guy from Connecticut came up with a brilliant idea for an above-board internet raffle. 100 numbers (00-99) were raffled off for $5 a piece. The winner was determined by using the last two digits in the Connecticut Pick 3 on such-and-such a date. The prize was the winner's choice of cuemakers to build a cue. Although $5 x 100 numbers = $500, each cuemaker that agreed to be a willing participant if chosen offered to make a cue valued at more than that, plus anything the winner wanted to kick in.

There was so much interest, that two raffles were done. I was fortunate to win one of them. I chose Jim Buss. I'd point to a picture, but it's not on the site and Earthlink (which I'm axing) is currently in limbo as far as site maintenance goes. Those who have seen it know this is no $500 cue.

Anyway, I think a raffle like that could work for this board as well. If only the sharp guy from Ct. who organized it last time would do it again.
<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>That is a neat idea. We do already have a CCB treasurer who could easily collect the funds via PayPal and send the check to the cuemaker...<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>Maybe we could ask Thierry Layani... For 500$US he can put together a very nice cue and his work is stunning ! <hr /></blockquote>Is there enough interest in something like this for someone who knows some cue makers to pursue it? I know I'd put in $10 for a couple of chances! We'd need a volunteer or two to gather the willing cue makers...

SPetty~~~dreaming of black and silver and abalone...

UWPoolGod
08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
I would definitely throw in my share for a chance also.

dmgwalsh
08-15-2003, 01:06 PM
I'd buy a few chances.

RedHell
08-15-2003, 01:15 PM
I would defenetily be in for a 20$

Carlton31698
08-15-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm in

Brian in VA
08-15-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm in for $10 if it comes to fruition.

Brian

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2003, 01:26 PM
I'd do twenty also...sid

UTAddb
08-15-2003, 01:31 PM
in for 10

PQQLK9
08-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Oh...why not? Count me in for $20.00.

=k=
08-15-2003, 01:53 PM
i'm in if the right cue maker!!!

Sid_Vicious
08-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Yea, who's making the cue???sid

Fred Agnir
08-15-2003, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Yea, who's making the cue???sid <hr /></blockquote>One of the interesting things about the RSB/ASP cue raffle was that many cuemakers jumped on board to make a cue if they were so chosen. So, we had a list of like 10 cuemakers or more.

RSB/ASP Cue Raffle Original Prize List (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cue+raffle+group:rec.sport.billiard&amp;hl=en &amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=20020618231732.10856.00001359%40mb-fp.aol.com&amp;rnum=1)

Fred

UWPoolGod
08-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Maybe there should be a different raffle every month for a different cuemaker each month. If noone wants to enter a specific cuemakers raffle they don't have to. With the cuemaker being drawn out of a hat randomly as well for the following months raffle. And only after half a year or so have their name put back into the hat to give them a chance at making another cue. I would put up $10 every month for the opporturnity at a custom cue. Better than the lottery.

eg8r
08-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Count me in.

eg8r

Ralph S.
08-15-2003, 02:42 PM
You could count me in. No need to twist my arm LOL.

Pizza Bob
08-15-2003, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> From another post:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> 100 numbers (00-99) were raffled off for $5 a piece. <hr /></blockquote>

If you are going to format it the same way, you should limit buy-in to one chance per person. $500 is a bargain for even a plain cue from some makers. It would be worth someone's while to buy all the numbers, just to get a nice cue. Kinda defeats the purpose. By limiting buy-in to one chance, you get 100 people with an equal chance of winning. Just my $.02 (or maybe $5 worth).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cycopath
08-15-2003, 03:24 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm in!
Someone hurry and take my money, before eBay gets it!

UWPoolGod
08-15-2003, 03:33 PM
I know...eBay is a killer...just HAD to pick up a new unused Cleveland 900 60 degree wedge today for $76 incl. shipping...normally $119 at Progolfdiscount. Man I hate eBay.

Jimmy B
08-16-2003, 12:33 AM
WOW !!! Great idea, who ever came up with it must be a genius, but I think part of what made it work was that it was a 1 time deal. To expect cuemakers to take a lose each month so that we could have many lucky winners would be just wrong. Count me in for a few chances if we could get the right person to run it and the right group of cuemakers willing to take a chance, but let's not over do it. JB

JMD in VA
08-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Absolutely! Why not. An opportunity like this does this doesn't come around very often. Matter of fact; never! Count me in!

JMD in VA

bolo
08-16-2003, 08:40 PM
What is the loss, I would expext the cuemaker to receive the money from the raffel. Why should they just give away a cue?

Thierry Layani
08-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Well you already have a a willing cuemaker. When the person in charge has all the details, let him contact me so that we can discuss what I could be offering.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

bolo
08-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I would buy a few chances. Sell 100 $10.00 chances and we could get a $1000. cue from a cuemaker. I am assuming the money collected is to pay the cuemaker?

dg-in-centralpa
08-17-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm in for $20 - $30. Let me know.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Good thinking there, Bob!

I agree. Buy-in should be one ticket per person.

And count me in!

Barbara

Jimmy B
08-17-2003, 06:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> What is the loss, I would expext the cuemaker to receive the money from the raffel. Why should they just give away a cue? <hr /></blockquote>

Well in the RSB/ASP raffle the cue makers got the total collected but the number ($500) was not even close to the cue they built, This is why it isn't something to be done every month, they were very generous with what they gave. If it were just a sale where they made enough to cover the cost it wouldn't be a big deal. These guys are great and supported the raffle and I hope the people paid them back with good press and orders. JB

UTAddb
08-17-2003, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr>
If you are going to format it the same way, you should limit buy-in to one chance per person. $500 is a bargain for even a plain cue from some makers. It would be worth someone's while to buy all the numbers, just to get a nice cue. Kinda defeats the purpose. By limiting buy-in to one chance, you get 100 people with an equal chance of winning. Just my $.02 (or maybe $5 worth).<hr /></blockquote>
Sounds fair, if 1 ticket per person doesn't fly, at least reduced to 2 or maybe 3 per person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> What is the loss, I would expext the cuemaker to receive the money from the raffel. Why should they just give away a cue? <hr /></blockquote>They were all willing (out of their own generosity) to make something extra and special for the $500. That is, the cue wouldn't have got the profit they would normally get. So, it's a one time loss for them for a good cause. But, doing something like this, say, once a month would get old quickly for many cuemakers I'd imagine.

Fred

SPetty
08-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Limiting it to one chance per person might not work well - it might be difficult to find 100 different CCB individuals to participate. However, I agree that one person shouldn't be able to buy the majority of chances and we could pick a number to limit it to based on participation.

It looks like Thierry Layani might be an interested cue maker.

Another possibility: Raffle off pre-existing cues that people currently own but don't want any more. That would probably work as a monthly possibility.

I wouldn't think that the idea is to get a cue worth more than we pay the cuemaker as was done on RSB, but for someone to get a really good deal on a good cue while also giving proper attention and recognition to the cue maker.

SPetty~~~still dreaming of black and silver and abalone...

UWPoolGod
08-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah, however much money the raffle raises would go toward a cue...the winner could always add several hundred dollars of his own money to get a more expensive cue.

RedHell
08-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Thierry,

I'm glad to see you're interested, now all I got to do is figure out a way to rig the raffle /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
08-19-2003, 12:03 PM
I think limiting the chances per personne is the way to go. I doesn't necessarily have to be one chance per person. The objective would be an even chance.

One way to do it would be to do it by rounds. You set a date for first round purchase, if we get to 100 persons in that first round, fine, if not we go for another round until we get to at least 500$.

We could find ourselve with 50 persons at 10$ or something like that. If someone doesn't want to participate in all the rounds they can do so knowing that they will have less chances.

It's close to free purchase but at least we know that no one will secure 250$ worth of chances to get a 50% chance at a very good cue !

Just a thought !!!