PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen these??

04-06-2002, 04:04 AM
Has anyone seen the Don "the preacher" Feeney instructional tapes? If so are they good for a more advanced player, are they worth taking a look at? Thanks in Advance..

Shawn

Chris Cass
04-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Shawn,
I haven't seen the tapes. However I know Don personally and also played with him a few times in the past. He's one heck of a snooker player too.

He has a smooth consistant stroke. He plays at Chris's in Chicago every now and then. He's also a friend of Scott Lee's. Anyway, in his tapes I would imagine he would talk about the same stroke and changing the length of the amount of cue used to get where you want to go.

Don's stroke is the same on every shot. Regardless of where he wants to send whitey on the table. He does this through the length of his bridge. Interesting and although he's 60 something now. He can still run a hundred in straight pool. He told me this a while back this past yr.

He's a BCA certified instructor and still gives lessons. He's a soft spoken guy with a smile on his face and a story to tell. The things I remember most about Don is his smooth stroke and can tell ya. He definitly has one.

Regards,
C.C.

preacherman
04-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Chris,
Do you know how Don Feeney got the name
Don "the preacher" Feeney. Just curious!
Also would like to know more about who he
is in the world of pool.

Thanks

Chris Cass
04-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Hi Jim,
He's definitly not a Minister but can tell you some things about him. He's in his 60's and is very soft spoken with a want to help others. He never gets mad and has always had a calmness about him. He's about 95lbs soak n wet and has an unbelievably smooth stroke.

He's not a great 9ball player but has played. He loves snooker and straight pool and plays them both very well, even today.

I met him at Harolds(owner of P&B Mag.)ph yrs ago. I was in dead punch and offered him the 7ball. He declined and we got to talking. He offered me breakfast at Denny's and bought that morning about 2am after leaving the ph. Don, is very interesting and found out, he doesn't gamble.

Time went by a few yrs. and I shot a few times at a ph in Oak brook, Il. It was a members only place when the new owners bought it. It was a yuppie place with a $500. membership dues. Open certain hrs for us less fortunate. Oak Brook is a fancy type town with million dollar homes and a big business area.

It was called "Preachers". Don was the resident pro. He got a cut just to have his name on the place and also, gave lessons there. Went a few times there to play some $100. sets with Al Martinez and Gordy Vandevere(sp), Chicago players. I used to see Don giving lessons and also playing snooker.

I don't know how he got the name but do know he's a really nice man and I still owe him breakfast. Scott Lee could tell you more. Don, like Scott tons. I like them both.

Regards,
C.C.

PQQLK9
04-06-2002, 10:30 AM
I bought the entire series from Bert Kinnister in 1994...($124.00 or $119.00) and it included a bonus tape (sermon on the green)...I would recomend them to anyone. Met Don that year at Valley Forge and he was very willing to discuss the tapes. The section on Sid's System alone is worth the price.

Scott Lee
04-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Jim...Like Chris told you, Don and I are great friends, and fellow certified instructors. Don's tapes are very good...
but then, like I told you, you will find SOMETHING good in ANY tape or book (just like you will likely benefit from a lesson with ANY instructor...you just get MORE with some than others! LOL). I would recommend Don's tapes, but you can AFFORD to wait awhile. Go with "How to Play Pool Right" for now, and practice!

Scott

preacherman
04-07-2002, 09:30 PM
I found "How to Play Pool Right" at approximately $10.00 less then in the only store in my area that carried it (which was overpriced).

So on price and principle I bought it on Ebay.

Jim :-)

phil in sofla
04-09-2002, 04:20 PM
A little teaser on the promo materials for Feeny's tapes says (paraphrasing):

One day recently, Don Feeny ran 125 balls at straight pool, went over to the snooker table and ran out a perfect game, and then went to the billiards table where he ran 18 straight billiards.

I think that must have been in the early '90s they were talking about, from when the tape series was first put out.

Obviously, any player able to do any of those things would have something of value to impart to others. Someone able to do them all, well....

Retardo
04-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Bet he dont have that on tape!!