PDA

View Full Version : Its official- Police have the right to lie.

Qtec
08-16-2003, 04:18 AM
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Colorado police can set up fake checkpoints in hopes of sniffing out illegal drugs, an appeals court ruled in a case where camouflage-clad officers spied on fans during a bluegrass festival in 2000.

Thursday's ruling, which reversed an earlier finding, was based on a federal appeals court decision last year in a similar case in Oklahoma.

Police at the Telluride festival had posted signs along the road saying, "Narcotics checkpoint, one mile ahead" and "Narcotics canine ahead." Officers wearing camouflage hid on a hill and watched for any people who turned around or appeared to toss drugs out of their windows after seeing the signs.

Police pulled over Stephen Roth, 60, for littering after they found a marijuana pipe tossed from his window. Two other pipes and mushrooms were found in a search of his car.

I,m sure people will sleep safer in their beds knowing that this 60 yr old man with his weed pipe is locked up .

For the cops , a bust is a bust.

Catching people smoking a bud at a Blue Grass festival is easier and less dangerous than going after murderers, rapists and general low life .

AND they have to resort to these tactics. Pretty soon , the constitution will be so eroded, they will be able to put you away for thinking .
Actually , I think they can do that already .

Q

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/15/fake.checkpoints.ap/index.html

Nightstalker
08-17-2003, 07:24 PM
IMO that is entrapment, and illegal. It has always been known to me that police have a right to lie and citizens do not. Take this example, an officer interrogating a suspect and during the interrogation the officer lies to the suspect about evidence, etc. in order to get a confession. As they look at it, doing that is fine! Of course if a suspect is caught lying they have a SERIOUS problem with it! Kind of hypocritical if you ask me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Qtec
08-17-2003, 09:00 PM
America is one of the few countries that has an enforceable constitution. You have rights under the law. The police are supposed to enforce these rights, not to invent ways to circumvent them.
Q

UWPoolGod
08-18-2003, 09:37 AM
All I know is that on the way to work this morning during gridlock I noticed a cop car on the rise and turn ahead getting people driving solo in the car pool lane. So I checked my mirror to see if anyone is doing it. And flying right by me is a truck with one guy in it. I started to smile as he rounded the crest and BAM the lights came on and he was pulled over. YES!!! Then when I got up to where they were pulled over the cop was walking back towards his cruiser. He started walking towards the fast lane and pointed to a car three back who had suddenly merged over into the fast lane when he saw the cop because he was going illegally too. YES!!! Two-fer.

Man I hate those solo carpoolers.

Qtec
08-18-2003, 10:19 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its crazy how small things like that can really irritate you . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q