PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314 shafts

Jay
08-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Here is a new product question for you all. Now ive heard that predator shafts are supposed to be one of the best shafts on the market. Very strong durable, gives you more control on spin and better draw. Now do you think that this shaft will help you do all these things and overall elevate your game. What are your opinions on these shafts. Do you think it is worth the money or are you better off just playing with your own shaft?

Kato
08-16-2003, 07:14 AM
I have owned 2 Predator cues (SP, SLP) and had a Predator shaft made for my old play cue. Did it help my game? Nope, never adjusted to it. Has it helped others games? Sure, just ask all the Predator believers. Does it impart greater spin on the ball? Make it easier to draw? I think not, that's all stroke.

Kato

cheesemouse
08-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Jay,
Your question will bring the nut cases out on both sides of this issue...LOL...

If you are will to do what is nessessary during the adjustment peroid you may find the divine hit we all look for. On the other hand if you choice not to do the adjustment period you may come away thinking it hits like a broom handle. These shafts come with a warning and it is up to you to heed it or not. I play with a 314 but on occasion I love to get out the old 'whippy' shaft and just let it rip.......

jjinfla
08-16-2003, 09:37 AM
I have one and had the cue guy here match a dufferin butt to it so that I now have a perfect match at the joint whereas when I used it with my McDermott butt there was a noticeable mismatch there. Also had him remove the 314 from the shaft. Would I buy another one? Nope. Because I really see no difference between it and my McDermott shaft. I still have to allow for swerve. Jake

griffith_d
08-16-2003, 01:18 PM
The 314 does impart more spin and makes draw shots easier as I have a Meucci Red Dot and a 314 for the Meucci and I can tell the difference. I now have quit using it, as I have a new Pechauer and the shaft on it is stiffer on its own than the Red Dot.

I probably will not get a 314 again, but it is great on the Pred BK,...but I sold it too. The Pech breaks just as good as the BK,...but it is twice the price.

The 314 is a precision shaft, but I can tell the wood used to make it is a more yellow maple and does not seem to be the snow white AA quality maple as the Pech uses.

Griff

rackmup
08-16-2003, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr>Now ive heard that predator shafts are supposed to be one of the best shafts on the market. Very strong durable...,<hr /></blockquote>

I play with Schon shafts on my Schon playing cue and love them. I do own a Predator BK with two BK shafts and while playing nineball one Texas afternoon (I say "Texas afternoon" as they are different than other State's afternoons: full of bugs, off and on rain followed by lizard attacks and extreme heat) and during a break (not like a restroom break or a lunch break but an actual break...you know...hitting the balls with the cueball) I split my BK shaft from the tip of the ferrule down through the middle of the shaft (about an 8" split.)

Predator immediately replaced the entire cue, butt and all.

I don't know anying about hit, spit, deflection, reflection, swerve, curve, solidity of the hit, humidity of the hit, validity of the hit, small kittys and big cats or other felines, etc. but I do know they (Predator...not small or large cats) take very good care of their customers.

Of course it helps when you are famous like me (or have others convinced you are famous.)

Regards,

Ken

griffith_d
08-16-2003, 09:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
they (Predator...not small or large cats) take very good care of their customers.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Ken,..when my Pred BK tip came flying off I sent it to Predator and I talked Jean a few times, emailed a few times and they took care of my BK straight away. It looked all brand new again.

Griff

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> Here is a new product question for you all.<hr /></blockquote> New product question?

[ QUOTE ]
Now ive heard that predator shafts are supposed to be one of the best shafts on the market.<hr /></blockquote>Debatable

[ QUOTE ]
Very strong durable,<hr /></blockquote>

Debatable

[ QUOTE ]
gives you more control on spin and better draw.<hr /></blockquote> I disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
Now do you think that this shaft will help you do all these things and overall elevate your game. <hr /></blockquote>

Many have claimed this.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your opinions on these shafts. Do you think it is worth the money or are you better off just playing with your own shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

IMO, the good of the Predator shaft does to one's game is almost countered by the bad. It might help people who hit the balls relatively firmly, or can't near enough the center of the ball. It hurts shots, IMO, hitting slow with english.

There's no such thing as a magic pill. The Predator 314 is not infallible, but will help people who still can't get a hold of squirt. It doesn't reduce swerve, which IMO is the biggest of the "english compensation evils.

Fred

pooltchr
08-18-2003, 09:35 AM
I understand the question here, but has anyone noticed how many discussions center around who makes the best shaft, tip, cue, ferrule, glue, joint collars or whatever. The equipment does not make your game better, it's what you do with the equipment. I dare say most of the pro's out there could whip most of us using a $30 Wal-mart cue. It's because they practice more than most of us, not because of the kind of cue they are using. How much do you think Earl's game would improve if his sponsor changed?????? My guess would be not very much at all. I doubt I could beat Keith even if he had to use a different house cue for each shot. It comes down to skill which comes from practice much more than the type of cue you use.

JMHO

UWPoolGod
08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
I played with a Schon Ltd for 4 months or so and then the poolhall owner "lost" my shaft while they had it for retipping so they bought me a predator shaft. I then had to spend a long time trying to adjust for the stiffer hit. Once I bought my Scruggs sneaky my cueball control skyrocketed because I felt like I could "feel" the cueball more. Now I have a little stiffer custom with a 3/8 10 pin that hits hard like a SW with the same "feel" once I was used to the added stiffness.

Todd &lt;--- will never go back to Predator

Rod
08-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Pretty soon credit will go to pred for inventing the wheel. LOL The stories have become expanded to even greater heights. Where does all this stuff come from?

Believe what you will. If you choose to believe what you hear, that a shaft draws more, controls spin better, then you give yourself or other players little credit. Actually it seems few people give themself credit as the pred obviously is so superior. It's just an automatic, cure your game faults, improvement shaft.

Rod

RedHell
08-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Hi Jay,

Here's my opinion about all your questions... Let me first explain a bit where I stand on the Predator debate. First, like you, I heard all these great thing about it. I got to play a few shots with one and decided to give it a try. It took me a while to find a 314 shaft for a good price, got one and now I've been using it for about 3 weeks.

Do I think it gives me more control on spin ?

No more controle and more spin either. But, it does reduce one factor of using english and this is deflection. So having that much less to deal with allow me to be more confident and put more spin on the ball. It's not the shaft doing it, it's me. With my old shaft (Falcon shaft), I was getting so much deflection that I wouldn't put xtreme sides spin. With the Predator I do it more, so I got more spin out of it, but not from the shaft, you could put as much spin on the ball with any shaft, just just need to be comfortable with the shot.

Do I get better draw ?

Actually I lost a bit on that one, probably due to the Le Pro tip on it, I'm not as comfy on the Le Pro than I was on my Talisman. I have reshaped that tip 3 times already and I'm just getting used to it. If I need to put a tool on that tip one more times, it will be a knife to cut it off and a new Talisman Medium will be put on.

Did it help me do all these things ?

NO. I was using english before and draw shots. To tell you the truth, there was (and still is) a big adjustment period to my game since I ot the 314. If I look back I would say that I had to go to 10 hours of play with very limited spin, 30 hours with medium spin and I just started (about 10 hours of play) to apply extreme spins and be accurate with it. Still I recon that I won't get my game back to what it was without another 2 good weeks of practice (20-30 hours).

Did it or will it (overall) elevate your game ?

I sure hope so, I think the greatest benefit I will get out of it, is that it will have increased the range of spin I am comfortable puting on the q-ball. But the predator shaft does not put balls for me nor take position. This will always remain my doing and not the shaft.

So after all that, you are sill wondering should you get one or not. Well if you already use a lot of english, follow and draw, and you feel you are controling those hit very well (by adapting your aim for deflection and swerve), you probably don't need to buy one.

But if you have the feel that you could put more english on the ball if you had to compensate less on the shots, than go ahead and give it a try. But beware, your game will go down the drain for a while and you will have to relearn how to make some shots that you thought were basics.

Now if you begin experimenting with spins, a pred is a good tool to learn with because you have a little less things to factor in the shots.

I'll stick with mine for at least 6 months, if I don't feel I managed to adapt to it, it will go for sale.

Fred Agnir
08-19-2003, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> The equipment does not make your game better, it's what you do with the equipment. I dare say most of the pro's out there could whip most of us using a $30 Wal-mart cue. <hr /></blockquote>

People say this all the time, but it's misleading. There is a difference in equipment. A pro would whip most of us, sure. But, what if he played against himself? Or another pro. Broomstick vs. personal cue. Who would you bet on? Obviously, you'd bet on himself with the cue.

What does all that mean? In the full equation of what makes up a person's skills, everything is included, lumped, summed, multiplied to come up with some "value." The equipment and how the person interacts with that equipment is important. It is in every other sport in the universe. Pool is no different, unless we all are too egotistical and arrogant to believe it.

Some people will never understand how to compensate for squirt. A Predator shaft might immediately help them. Some people can't help but decelerate their stroke with a straight taper. Going to a long flexible pro taper like the old Meucci originals might help. Some people will be sticky in humidity. A glove or a certain glove might help.

So, in the end, yes, equipment certainly can elevate ones game, or in another view, equipment not suited to the player may be a detriment to their game. Striving to eliminate detriments is a positive thing, IMO. We all can't be pros, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that if we buy such-and-such equipment, that we'll be transformed into one.

The old saying of "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian" is completely false and flawed. Even an Indian will select the best arrows. Why wouldn't he? A friend of mine who had been a skier all his life had a revelation of sorts when he bit the bullet and bought a higher dollar set of skis. He said very elatedly, "you know what, Fred? You *can* buy skill, to a certain extent." Pool is no different. Crappy equipment can bring down your game.

Fred &lt;~~~ sure someone will read something that I didn't say

jjinfla
08-19-2003, 12:36 PM
So Fred do I take this to mean that Shone, Southwest, Capone, etc are crappy equipment and one would do better with a 314 shaft instead of the shaft that comes with them? Now if you are comparing a 314 to a Walmart $19.95 cue then I would agree that one would do better with the 314. Jake