PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Eye & "Machine Gun Lou

04-06-2002, 01:21 PM
The thought crossed my mind that the discussion about the longer one can focus on an aim point, the more successful they are, and Lou Buterra's rapid shooting ability came to mind. If indeed the time spent holding a gaze on the pinpoint of OB or CB impact is detrimental to accuracy, then how do you figure Lou makes a full rack without obvious effort? There seems to me to be an individual feature to the lazy eye theory, and possibly the incorporation of dwell time on the aim point might indeed throw off some players enough to miss an otherwise "made" shot. I've been working with the lazy eye this morning a bit and at first there was some improvement, but as time went along the oddity introduced into what I call my natural rhythm started me to miss some moderately easy shots. Just maybe in pool, the individuality is what makes champions, and the lazy eye aids those who will attain only a fundamentally strong game, and not the world class performance artists of yesteryear and of today's men professional/road players. You may say, "Well how about Allison and Karen?" Well it's still far from a fact that either one could hold up to any of the ranked professional men in a full event, even though Karen DOES mis with them(and I figure she will excel even more due to that in time.) Reyes, Strickland, Archer, Morris.....etc., etc., even a few of the road players I've watched lately would diminish the flames of these ex-snooker strokers, all due to what I believe is their(men's) freestyle'n(IMO)..sid~~~finds thinking too much about eyes and pinpoint aims staggers the run, most of the time just when you really need the ball to fall

04-06-2002, 01:46 PM
My thoughs are along your reasoning. In fact, I always make sure to run some racks with little or no time spent over the ball. I belive that some of our ability is intuitive and staying down two long defeats that. I think Lou still holds the record for a 14.1 run out at 23 min.

Drake
04-06-2002, 03:24 PM
I see your point. BUT, Almost all the top pros average around 4 to 5 warm up strokes before execution. Reyes, Archer, Morris, Hall, Deuel, Souquet and Immonen ALL have different styles but none of them play real fast. The one and only great speed player is Earl. He is a true exception. Anybody can play at any speed when their in the ZONE, It's how you play when your not in the zone that counts.......Drake.

Drake
04-06-2002, 03:29 PM
To fully illustrate my point. If your life depended on somebody making a shot without scratching. Who would you choose to be your shooter...Buddy Hall...or Earl Strickland?? I'd have to choose Buddy.

Q-guy
04-06-2002, 04:31 PM
I hate to say this, and it is just my opinion, but Mr. Butera plays "WAY" to fast. He has became a victim of his reputation. He is introduced as the worlds fastest player and he tries to live up to it. I have seen him play quite a few times and he is liable to miss any shot at any time. True, when it is all working he plays very strong, but he is not the player he is reputed to be. Not to say he is not talented, but that ridicules running around the table and not taking hardly any strokes may have prevented him from being really great. He is a very nice guy, but I am being honest. I think even some of his west coast friends and fans would have to agree. I will tell you, when he begins missing, you want to go over to him and say, "For God sake will you slow down."

Rip
04-06-2002, 06:09 PM
When is the last time you watched Lou play? Actually, Lou plays very little these days. Last year he told me he planned to play in only one tournament all year and he practiced a couple of weeks prior. He's slowed down considerably even when he is playing as well. Still a super nice guy but he's running in a lower gear these days. Rip

Q-guy
04-06-2002, 08:03 PM
The last time I saw him play was In Las Vegas a few years ago. It was a straight pool tournament. One match, I think he was playing Grady he had run close to a 100 and began to miss. The shots he was missing could only be due to the fast play. I believe Grady ended up winning the match. One shot that sticks out in my mind was a shot he missed almost straight in the side that almost banked cross side. I saw him lose matches in the early 80s where he missed key shots that seemed due to the fast play. Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy. I am just talking objectively. I would be curious what he would say about it. Does he maybe feel the fast play may have been detrimental to his game at all. I got the impression he may have been more a money player. They don't worry about occasional mistakes or misses. In a tournament mistakes are more critical and the money player style can get you beat. He looks like he would be a scary guy to gamble with. Guys like him are apt to hit you with a barrage you can't come back from.

04-07-2002, 12:19 AM
AMEN! Point well made...sid

#### leonard
04-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Don Willis would say that if the shot was for his life he wanted Luther "Whimpy" Lassiter to shoot it.####

Ralph S.
04-07-2002, 04:00 PM
I have to agree with Q-guy about the spped thing being a detriment to ones game. And as far as who i would want to shoot a shot if my life was dependant on miss or make, I would have to agree with Sid. No doubts, Luther Lassiter would be my shooter.
Ralph S.

04-08-2002, 01:02 AM
I hasten to add that what I was describing something I do during a practice sesson.

Rich R.
04-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Q-guy, I have not seen Lou play for many years, so I have to agree, that he may have become a victim of his reputation for playing fast. But I have to say, I had the opportunity to see him play many times in the late 60's when he was, more or less, in his prime. He played extremely fast at that time and I don't believe he had any conscious control over it. He would become so focused on what he was doing, he could not get to the next shot fast enough. As you watched him play, you got the feeling that his mind was many shots ahead of his body and the table. I don't believe he could have slowed down if he wanted to. That may have been his natural pace. Could he have been a better player if he slowed down? Probably so. We will never know.
As far as your impressions about Lou being a money player and being scary to gamble with, I would have to say DEFINITELY to both.
Rich R.

cuechick
04-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know of "Jimmy Machine"? another super fast road player form back in the day. Any info about him would be interesting to me...
Thanks