PDA

View Full Version : Compressing Layered Tips, Bad Idea?

Sid_Vicious
08-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I recently went to a Moori H tip, back peddling in a way from my XH Talismans and compressed Sumo tips, and even though I am pleased with the Moori, I'd like it a little harder. I considered compressing and coating the Moori to make it harder and then thought I'd best ask here if compressing layered tips is a no-no, the Moori would be quite a waste of material is it was a destructive move.

Whatcha think???sid

rackmup
08-18-2003, 05:17 AM
I know you like hard tips and so do I. I'm playing with compressed tips on my Schon that a local cue guy installed for me and they have that little "tink" us hard-tip guys crave.

They hold their shape, hold chalk, don't mushroom and thus far the only problem I see with them is they can't make two-foot BIH shots on the money ball. Yes...it was the tip's fault.

OPC knows the guy who does our tip work. He might be able to put you in touch with Don Wallace.

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
08-18-2003, 07:00 AM
I was interested in enhancing a Moori by making it harder than the H rating, but I don't want to screw it up. Frankly I have 2 or 3 single layer tips I'm currently happy with even at their current hardness(black WB, compressed Sumo & XH Talisman), but the new Moori was also living up to it's reputation in playability, just a tad softer than I like. I quess many of us keep trying to seek out that one "perfect tip."

I've played with Shon tips, they do report back nicely but still run a grade softer than I like and the sound is more like a deep tink than I like. Thanks...sid

cycopath
08-18-2003, 12:52 PM
What method do you use to compress a tip? I was thinking of trying it on a LePro just to get an X Hard tip for my break cue.