PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Williams and Reyes for Big Apple Title

Harold Acosta
08-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Charlie sent Efren Reyes to the losers bracket. Reyes beat Rodney Morris and will face Williams again for the Big Apple 9-Ball Challenge Title....

HarryDC
08-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi,

Charlie Williams 13 to 8 over Reyes for the Big Apple Title
Congratulations Charlie! Charlie beat Reyes twice in the same day. LOL LOL

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ken
08-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Charlie the Dragon wins the Big Apple. After seeding himself and giving himself a bye I'm sure he put his opponents to sleep by his Jack-in-the-box tactics. He's up and down on nearly every shot 5 or 10 times. This is one match we'll never see on TV. There's no way they would bore viewers by airing one of his matches. He is the best argument for a shot clock and even then I think he would be impossible to watch.

If this is the way pro pool is going I've seen my last match.
KenCT

Keith Talent
08-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Jeez ... I was sitting next to a group of pros who will go nameless last night as Charlie was running out in last game against Nick Varner. They were trying to imagine ways Charlie conceivably could blow it. LOL.

HarryDC
08-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Ken,

Reyes, Parica and Busta got byes. So what? Charlie beat Reyes twice. LOL Do you promise not to come to another pool match you dried up old S.O.B? That's the best thing to ever happen to pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HarryDC

Ken
08-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Post deleted by Ken

jjinfla
08-18-2003, 04:42 AM
Sounds like you are doing a 180 Harry. All of a sudden you are fond of men's pool? I seem to recall you lambasting the game not too long ago. Don't tell me you actually went to the tournament?

Charlie seems to be on top of his game lately. Too bad he is not entering the US Open. A win there would give him a good chance to be voted into the HOF. But I guess that is not important to Charlie. Jake

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> He's up and down on nearly every shot 5 or 10 times. This is one match we'll never see on TV. There's no way they would bore viewers by airing one of his matches. He is the best argument for a shot clock and even then I think he would be impossible to watch.<hr /></blockquote>Although we only got a chance to see one of his matches (semi-final of the winner's side over Parica), it was noticeable that Charlie was much quicker, with less up and down motion.

Maybe like Sergio Garcia, he's aware and trying to get past this annoying habit.

Fred &lt;~~~ hi, Ken

Fran Crimi
08-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Post deleted by Fran Crimi

Keith Talent
08-18-2003, 08:20 AM
I agree, Fred, that Charlie wasn't dragging it out. In fact, when he was down, I think, 5-1 against Varner, it looked to me like he was shooting fast and loose, too loose, maybe.

As for slow shooting, it would be hard to top the Souquet-Varner match. Watched about 15 mins of that and saw maybe 2 tap safeties. Absolute torture. Finally, they put a stop watch on them. Beads were stuck at 2-2, 3-3 for about an hour!

holls
08-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Okay all, I've read your posts bashing Charlie Williams and how much you hate him and how he's so bad for men's pool. I can't let this thread go. Charlie won a major tournament this weekend. Can't you just congratulate him on his performance w/o insuating that he fixed it? He beat Reyes twine in one day and I think that says alot about his skills as a player. When I saw Reyes on Sat he was amazing. I figured he'd win the whole thing. In terms of Charlie, I don't know how many of you know this, but the airline lost his luggage and cues. He got his luggage on Sat, but he played and won the entire tournament with borrowed equiptment.

Steve Lipsky
08-18-2003, 08:56 AM
I agree, Holls. Even forgetting about the luggage, Charlie won an event he helped organize. Grady has mentioned repeatedly how difficult that is.

Congratulations Charlie.

- Steve

Pizza Bob
08-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Just curious, whose equipment did he use? Are we going to see a switch in allegience to another cuemaker? People want to know....LOL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

KBuck
08-18-2003, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I agree, Holls. Even forgetting about the luggage, Charlie won an event he helped organize. Grady has mentioned repeatedly how difficult that is.

Congratulations Charlie.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve, I'm just curious how much organizing the UPA did? From reading a lot of the posts here I would think all they did was provide the rankings list for the seeding and collect the $25 dollar tour fee.

I would assume that the part of organizing the tournament which would make playing in it hard would be the tournament director duties (table scheduling, conflict resolution, etc.)

Steve Lipsky
08-18-2003, 09:46 AM
It is tough to win pro tournaments when playing might not be your #1 priority. Given the choice between winning, or the event running smoothly, I think Charlie will choose the latter. (Incidentally, the event came off without a real hitch.)

Charlie has plenty of time to win tournaments (he's young), but this is a critical period for the UPA. Any UPA event that comes off poorly in its infancy can seriously damage Charlie's reputation (we've already seen evidence of this).

So, I think that with Charlie's mind more on the success of the event, it is an impressive feat that he actually won it.

- Steve

Rich R.
08-18-2003, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Just curious, whose equipment did he use? Are we going to see a switch in allegience to another cuemaker? People want to know....LOL

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>
According to the story on AZB, Charlie borrowed a number of different cues from different people, but all had Predator shafts. Charlie is sponsored by Predator.
I don't see any change in allegiance coming, any time soon.

Eric.
08-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Charlie definately had a few balls in the air. Between matches, he would spend time with Alex. Dyer and check on various things.

Also, double dipping Efren is no small feat. Efren was in dead punch. I watched the Yang/Reyes match; Efren jumps out to a 6-0 lead. Yang takes a break, comes back, wins the next rack, strings a few racks and wins some more. 7-6 Yang. Reyes was on the ropes at this time , even missing a simple cut shot into the side pocket. But. BUT, Efren bounces back to win it, hill-hill, 11-10.

After seeing Efren turn it up to beat Yang(who wasn't missing anything), you knew he was gonna be tough to beat.

Nice win, Charlie.

Eric

Ralph S.
08-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Somebody said we should congratulate CW for his victory. Well, it sure woulda been more interesting if Earl was allowed to play. Congrats CW, your tactics worked. You managed to keep your nemesis out of the tourney making it just a little easier for ya.

pooljunkie73
08-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Give the guy some credit he beat Reyes twice when it matterd. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

You don't have to like the guy or agree with his politics to admit he played some damn fine pool.

Kent Mc.

shoot2thrill
08-18-2003, 04:01 PM
dirty dealing's fellow's dirty dealing's.i wonder if cw made any money after winning .??? ... LOL LOL . GO CHARLIE !!! ( NOT!!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

nAz
08-18-2003, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Somebody said we should congratulate CW for his victory. Well, it sure woulda been more interesting if Earl was allowed to play. Congrats CW, your tactics worked. You managed to keep your nemesis out of the tourney making it just a little easier for ya. <hr /></blockquote>

Bahahahahaha i was thinking the same thing... anyway he played solid enough to win. so congrats to the little giant /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
wonder who got him in the Calcutta.

Ken
08-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Fred, I have to admit I think you are correct. The last time I saw Charlie play was at Capone's and I doubt that he got up more than 6 times in any one shot. It was mostly 4 or 5 and not really every other shot.

I just don't like how he is taking over open events and turning them into pro events. He takes away any chance an amateur might have but still needs them to inflate the prize fund by entering the competition. I think he's going about this in the wrong way.

I keep hearing the UPA compared to the WPBA but they are total opposites.
KenCT

Ken
08-18-2003, 06:35 PM
OK Fran, I realize you know more of the women than I do. I may be generalizing from a small sample.

Nevertheless, I've had run-ins with Harry before on AZ and I left him alone telling him that he could have the whole forum to himself. On two occasions he virtually called me a liar and I let him go. Now he comes here and starts calling me names.

If he agrees with CW and his business practises let him dispute my claims. I'm not the only one who knows what is going on. Harry has a problem with practically everyone at AZ so I guess he wants to cause trouble here too.

I should have let him go again instead of stooping to his level. I'll delete what I said and just go back to ignoring him.
KenCT

Fran Crimi
08-18-2003, 07:19 PM
I hear you, Ken. OK, kewl. I'll get rid of mine too.

Fran

Barbara
08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
JPNEWT has an "Official Groupie"

It's Nostroke! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He's always there and a BIG SUPPORTER in all our raffles.

We love you, you Babe!!!

Barbara~~~One-Legged-Pete got upstaged...but Long Live Peg-Leg Pete!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
08-18-2003, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, I'm just curious how much organizing the UPA did? From reading a lot of the posts here I would think all they did was provide the rankings list for the seeding and collect the $25 dollar tour fee.

<font color="blue"> What else did they do then ? Also , are you talking about the UPA as an orginisation C. Williams as an individual ? </font color>

I would assume that the part of organizing the tournament which would make playing in it hard would be the tournament director duties (table scheduling, conflict resolution, etc.) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I dont see why any player in the tournament should have to double up as Director . I cant think of another sport where a player is also running the tournament . If you want to be professional about the tour , there should be a non playing Director to run the actual tournament . This would be better for CW and there would be no more of the allegations of 'dirty dealings', giving oneself a bye , etc, etc.

Players should play , referee's should referee and Tournament Directors should run tournaments .

Its pretty simple really .

</font color>

Q

Ralph S.
08-19-2003, 05:55 AM
Good point Q. IMO, Scott Smith is the best TD around. Very enatertaining fellow and plays a fairly good game of pool too.

9 Ball Girl
08-19-2003, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> wonder who got him in the Calcutta. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif