PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to a new cue

BBCVD
08-18-2003, 07:49 AM
About four months ago, I received a new Meucci (black dot shaft) from my wife as a gift. I am a sl6 and had been using a Mali cue, which I was very comfortable with, for the last 15 years. Both cues are the same weight and I usually play 10-15 hours per week.
My question is, how long does it typically take to get used to a new stick? I used to be a relatively consistent shot maker and was pretty confident when at the table. Now I seem to be missing alot of shots and my position play is not as sharp as it was. It seems to me that now I have the most problems when using side spin, not so much with follow or draw. I am guessing that when I have to make a cut shot with side spin, the OB's are throwing more than they used to because of the difference in shafts. Therefore I need to compensate my aiming point accordingly. Now I am second guessing myself on almost every shot, I am definately over thinking, and of course I am not comfortable or confident when at the table. I keep telling myself that it will just take more time, but after four months I am beginning to wonder.
Does anyone have any advice? (getting rid of the Muecci is not an option as it was a gift from my wife)

WesK
08-18-2003, 08:53 AM
I find that it takes me anywhere from 5 minutes to a lifetime to adjust to a different cue (just kidding... sort of).

I switch from cue to cue a lot and find that the adjustment time is usually 5-60 minutes or so. But, during that adjustment time, I am looking for differences and adjusting myself. It also assumes that it is just me and the table hitting balls. I don't think that I could adjust in a game (not a tight enough feedback loop).

Anyway, I like stiff to very stiff hitting cues. It has been my experience that Meuccis tend to be very "whippy" in the shaft--the opposite of stiff. And, while I can draw and spin balls very easily with them, I need to really change my aim with them.

I think that they are the hardest cues for me to adjust to so I don't use them very much. I know some people who always use them with very good results.

wes

Kato
08-18-2003, 09:39 AM
I've been adjusting to my new cue for about 1 month now. I'm thinking by the end of this week (I'll be playing alot) I should have a pretty good bead on it. I think anwhere from 5 minutes to 3 months should give you a pretty good handle on it.

Kato

Rich R.
08-18-2003, 10:03 AM
The shaft on your Mali is, most likely, fairly stiff. The shaft on the Meucci is very whippy. This is a drastic change. It is possible that the Meucci just does not fit your playing style. It may take a very long time for you to adjust completely, if you ever do /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

You may want to have a very long talk with your wife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Flowers, candy and, especially jewelry, will help with that talk.

UWPoolGod
08-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah I know that most wives/significant others have super good intentions by surprising their loved one with a cue for a gift. However I would bet most of the time the cue does not fit the person. Might hit too hard, too soft, look ugly, etc. IMHO she should have surprised you with a gift certificate to the cue shop so you could test out a cue you would want and liked the hit of. Still a great notion anyway...you have a good woman there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
08-18-2003, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that when I have to make a cut shot with side spin, the OB's are throwing more than they used to because of the difference in shafts. <hr /></blockquote>

An educated guess, your not throwing the ball any more, that isn't logical. You are however likely to be swerving the c/b more, giving you that illusion. Are you now over cutting most spin shots when you miss? Are you likely to over cut at a distance? Have you changed any thing about your game? If the shaft diameter changed much, then you might be making a compensation your not yet aware of. You need to find a pattern and try to adjust accordingly.

Rod

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> An educated guess, your not throwing the ball any more, that isn't logical. You are however likely to be swerving the c/b more, giving you that illusion. <hr /></blockquote>

Or squirting less, giving a greater "effective swerve" if that is what we want to call it.

Fred

Rod
08-18-2003, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or squirting less, giving a greater "effective swerve" if that is what we want to call it.
<hr /></blockquote>

I suppose that's possible too. Either way if there being overcut and have a pattern then an adjustment is needed. Usually aim fatter or sometimes more speed. Cue elevation is another culprit. You never know if anything changed besides the cue.

Rod

BBCVD
08-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes, over cutting is the tendency. One thing I also wonder about is there may be a difference in tip hardness between the two cues. Might this come into play also?

Rod
08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Tip hardness shouldn't be a factor unless you really favor one over the other. The Meucci may squirt a little less or the back end of the cue is raised more. Try playing more level and and see where you hit. Either that or just aim a little fatter.

Ralph S.
08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
A suggestion may be to talk with your wife about exchanging or trading the cue in on another. It would be a good idea to let her help pick it out too, if she is understanding and agreeable to it.

SpiderMan
08-18-2003, 03:48 PM
It is unlikely that a difference in cue, shaft, or tip is affecting OB throw. It could, however, be affecting CB squirt.

On cut shots with outside english, are you now tending to overcut or undercut? If you're overcutting (hitting too thin), then you're probably seeing less squirt with the Meucci than the Mali. This would be a normal result if the Meucci shaft is "lighter" than the Mali, ie smaller diameter, lighter ferrule material, etc.

If you're now undercutting (hitting too thick) when using outside english, that would imply that your new shaft is heavier at the end than your old one and causing more CB squirt.

In either case, it's something you can adjust for if you just set up cut shots and shoot them over and over.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
If you're now undercutting (hitting too thick) when using outside english, that would imply that your new shaft is heavier at the end than your old one and causing more CB squirt.<hr /></blockquote>

The Meucci design (as far as I know) doesn't actually have a reduction in weight at the tip. The ferrule has a gap between it and the tenon, so unless the hit causes the ferrule to bridge the gap and contact the ferrule while still in contact with the cueball, then the "effective mass" is lower than a standard ferrule/tip setup. That's because the tenon doesn't add much (mass) to the off-center hit.

The ferrule actually sort of buckles away from the cueball. The hit, IMO, is something that one would really need to get used to.

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-18-2003, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BBCVD:</font><hr> Yes, over cutting is the tendency. One thing I also wonder about is there may be a difference in tip hardness between the two cues. Might this come into play also? <hr /></blockquote> Probably not. I'm pretty convinced at this point is that the lower squirt/more effective swerve scenario common to switching to a low squirt shaft is what's happening. Outside english with relatively slow speed or an elevated butt will cause an overcut.

Fred

Barbara
08-18-2003, 06:38 PM
For now, why don't you just do some center-ball drills and graduate into using english one tip off center ball at a time.

I have two shots that use high right/low right english that I used to be able to do adequately with my old Palmer. Of course, to set them up on the other side of the table I'd use high left and low left.

When I got the cue I play with now (and when I got my Ted Harris S/P), I set these shots up and evaluated the results and adjusted accordingly until I could make the shots with both the cues.

If there's some extreme english shot you always used to be able to make with your old cue, try it with the new cue and note what adjustements have to be made.

Once noted, the adjustments shouldn't take long.

Barbara~~~HTH /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
You've already heard this in various ways, but the move from a stiff hitter to a Meucci is extreme. I'd find a nice way to break it to the wife and not go into the Meuccu...jm2c sid

griffith_d
08-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Ok, here is a suggestion no one has said,...if the cue is going to be a problem, then you buy another cue(one you like and similiar in play to the Mali) and give it to her for a present, because you love her so much.

You look like the great husband and get a cue you like.

Griff