PDA

View Full Version : Inside Pool subscription problems?

Scott Lee
08-19-2003, 10:38 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with receiving their Inside Pool magazines? I think this is a great new magazine, but they seem to have serious problems with getting the magazine out in a timely manner. I bought a subscription one year ago, and have only received about half the issues at all. I got the April issue the first of June. Today (August 19) I finally received the May/June issue...but it is THREE months OLD! I get my other billiard mags on time, usually the week before the new month begins. Just wondering if this is just me, or if there are others out there?

Scott Lee

Barbara
08-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Scott,

It's not just you. I also just received the May/June issue. Read the article written by JR about why it's so late. They had moved their offices and Sally's taken over as editor.

Barbara

AndyG
08-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi Scott, I just got a call from Susan at Inside Pool wanting me to buy a bulk subscription for my room. I'd had a personal one for the last year, and had the same results as everyone else. I relayed all this to Susan, plus the fact that I'd seen similar 'tales of woe' on most of the pool boards.

My answer was that when they got everything together and on time, I'd consider the bulk subscription. No one wants to pay for late news, even when the content is good.
AndyG

bolo
08-19-2003, 11:07 AM
If you remember Snap mag. they began doing the same thing and then folded all together. They were so hand to mouth, they did not even have the money to print the mag as they were still accepting subscriptions and advertising money. Regardless what they may say, with a mag, this is a very bad sign. I got stuck for $600. in paid for ads in Snap. They cashed one of my checks, even after they had already folded. They made promises and took money right to the end, all the time knowing they were done. Putting out a mag is a tough business. I am not saying this is the case with Inside pool, but they have to know that this gives a shaky impression to possible new subscribers as well as advertisers. With Snap, that Texas cue mag, I forget the name, gave advertising credit for all the people that were stuck by Snap. It was not worth much though I never got one order from them and quit them.

bolo
08-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Excuses are not acceptable in the magazine business. You get it out on time, even if you have to put them in your car and deliver them your self one at a time. People have paid for ads in there and some are timely material, such as in this case tournament announcements. Like I said, no excuse, you must get it out on time, no ifs, ands , buts.

Scott Lee
08-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Barbara...I just read JR's explanation. I don't mean to complain, because I understand the problems he's been facing. However, near the end of the column, JR states, "We are once again operating with the efficiency we need and our subscribers demand." Since articles and columns must be done two months ahead of time (to get published and delivered in a timely manner), that must mean that JR wrote that column nearly 6 months ago. If I am just getting my May/June issue NOW, then their problems have not yet been solved, and continue to plague their subscriptions. Like Andy said, people who would pay for, and display bulk copies of the magazine, are not likely to ante up until Inside Pool gets things completely straightened out. I respect Sally, wish her and JR the best of luck, and I hope that she is successful in this necessary turnaround! However, as of today, in my eyes, that remains to be seen...

Scott Lee

WaltVA
08-19-2003, 11:55 AM
I subscribed in August 2002, got my issues up to March 2003 OK. In April I got a call asking me to renew my subscription, which I did; my credit card was charged early May, but I haven't gotten another issue. I called them in June and they checked and said my subscription was extended till August 2004 and I should receive my missing issues soon, but nothing so far. It's a good magazine content-wise, but the late/non-delivery issue is sure a turn-off.

Walt in VA

Pizza Bob
08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
If they were half as conscientious about getting the magazine out on time as the are about their telemarketing, I might have renewed my subscription. I had much the same experiences as those listed above. At VF this year we went to the Inside Pool booth and were assured it would all change. They said they had to change printers and that was the reason for the delay and now all would be well. We all know about the road to hell.....

I've been getting an average of a couple calls a week from them. Fortunately I'm never there (have caller ID...at least they don't hide their identity). I think this is a "Wait and see".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

pooltchr
08-19-2003, 01:56 PM
I have been getting bulk subscription to sell at the shop. I renewed back in the spring, but have not seen anything since the March 03 copies. I hope they get things on track as it is a great magazine when it does get to you. But it's hard for me to sell a June magazine at the end of August.

9 Ball Girl
08-19-2003, 01:59 PM
I subscribed a year ago and I get my mags when they're about a month old. The last one I got had Steve Mizerak on the cover. I called the Inside Pool office and they've extended my subscription by a month and promised that I'll have the issue with Johnny Archer on the cover (May/June?) this week and shortly after that I'll have the latest one which I think has Ralf Souquet on the cover?

Wendy~~~tired of riding the subway without a pool mag to read!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Perk
08-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I only have received 2 magazines from them since I wrote a check for a subscription /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif....I sent an email but didnt receive a reponse regarding this issue....I love the magazine when i get it. Had good info..but to get it SO LONG after sucks. I hope they fix their problem and somehow make up for their mistakes with the current subscribers...otherwise, I am out.

pooldaddy9
08-19-2003, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with receiving their Inside Pool magazines? I think this is a great new magazine, but they seem to have serious problems with getting the magazine out in a timely manner. I bought a subscription one year ago, and have only received about half the issues at all. I got the April issue the first of June. Today (August 19) I finally received the May/June issue...but it is THREE months OLD! I get my other billiard mags on time, usually the week before the new month begins. Just wondering if this is just me, or if there are others out there?

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Same problem here and that's not the only one that is late.

Rich R.
08-20-2003, 04:55 AM
Scott, it is funny you posted this.
The other day, I was thinking, I had not received InsidePool for a while. After looking around, I believe I haven't received an issue since March 2003. Of course, I probably received that issue, at least a month or more late.

I love the magazine, but this is a very sad situation. By the time I get the magazine, most of the regional tournaments in their schedule, have already been played.

I hope they can fix their problems.

Ralph S.
08-20-2003, 06:00 AM
I am glad to see that you brought this subject up Scott. I have been recieving mine in a very late manner and just received the May/June issue on Monday. The mag itself seems well written but the getting the mag to subscribers in a timely fashion definitely needs improvement.

It is August now. Many would like to be reading about the upcoming U.S.Open. not about ValleyForge which took place in March. I understand that this a young mag and will go through some growing pains and trials and errors, but the distribution could've been better planned from the get go.

Ken
08-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Oh, Ye of little faith! I can report that the July/August issue is alive and well and exists in hardcopy form. Hundreds of the issue were given out free to attendees at the Challenge of Champions a week ago. Cheer up! Perhaps in a few weeks you will be in for a great surprise.

I was quite impressed with the mag and had intended to switch from BD to IP for my next subscription. Now I will await the reports of more timely service. It was bad enough when BD was a week or two later than others had reported and I know I didn't receive a couple issues but this sounds like a big problem.
KenCT

Perk
08-21-2003, 05:32 AM
I got my May/June last night..although pissed it was late, I still read the old news. IP has the potential to be a really good magazine...Service needs to pick up first though.

pooltchr
08-21-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> I got my May/June last night..although pissed it was late, I still read the old news. IP has the potential to be a really good magazine...Service needs to pick up first though. <hr /></blockquote>

I got mine in the mail yesterday as well. Middle of August and I am reading about the Expo last March. I agree it is a GREAT magazine, but timely delivery is critical to it's survival. Although there is no way to beat the internet for up to the minute news and results, they still need to be as up-to-date as possible.

On a related note, and this applies to the other pool magazines as well. Nothing is more frustrating than reading about an "upcomming event" that has already taken place. If you are going to do a "trade show" issue and tell me all the exhibitors who are going to be there, at least make sure my copy arrives in the mail before the show!

Barbara
08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Well Scott, something's going down at IP. I just received a whole package of their September issues to give out to my room hosts.

Wow!!

IMO, they have the BEST coverage of us little Regional Tours. Even BD and P&amp;D have dropped the ball on covering the Regional Tours. I haven't seen one of my articles in their magazines in months! Now how do I explain that to the girls that win the Q's and events?? I saw my pics in BD, yeah, but no articles.

Barbara~~~like she expects to see it word-for-word... HA!

9 Ball Girl
08-22-2003, 09:42 AM
That's why I love IP. They have the best coverage on the Regional Tours.

Wendy~~still waiting for the May issue! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott Lee
08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Even BD and P&amp;D have dropped the ball on covering the Regional Tours. I haven't seen one of my articles in their magazines in months! Now how do I explain that to the girls that win the Q's and events?? I saw my pics in BD, yeah, but no articles.

Barbara~~~like she expects to see it word-for-word... HA! <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara...I agree wholeheartedly! LOL! BD has 52 full pages of advertising (out of 104 total pages) in the Sept. issue. You can't tell me they don't have enough room to publish your articles along with the pics! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott

9ballsusan
08-22-2003, 07:54 PM
i also recieved my InsidePOOL magazine late. But i did RECIEVE IT..and i think If you would read page 6 it tells you why the Magazine was late.. Cut InsidePOOL a break.. PLEASE.. They are really trying.. and They do have the BEST Billiard Magazine out there.... thanx 9ballsusan

bolo
08-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Sounds like people are giving them a break. That subscription is a contract, and it is not to much to want them to keep their end. Unless people start canceling their subscriptions, don't complain. It sounds like they are being cut a pretty good break by their subscribers right now, who by the way, have every right to complain. Are you affiliated with them? If you are I am sure you can admit it. Maybe a little dialog with the subscribers on this forum would go a long way to helping the problem. I am sure they would like to hear from someone from the magazine on here. You may say, what business is it of yours, you don't even subscribe? That is true but there is little chance I would now, based on some of what I have read here. I look forward to the things I do subscribe to and they arrive within a day or so of when I expect them each month. I would cancel if they came 5 or 6 weeks late.

Nostroke
08-23-2003, 01:06 PM
I got my latest BD in the mail on 8/20, covering the World Championships in Cardiff which ended on 7/20 !! Great job BD!!

The May/June IP came the same day with complete coverage of Valley Forge!! (March) It was a good reminder- So much time had passed I'd forgotten who won Valley Forge!! (Johnny Archer)

Still i hope they canm make it because it is a good magazine. In fact other than the time sensitive articles, the May/June issue was a terrific issue which kept me reading for over an hour vs probably 10 minutes on average for initial reading of any pool magazine.