PDA

View Full Version : how do I get super glue off a ferrule

04-07-2002, 02:41 PM
just did my first tip that did not fall off. It was a everest. but I got super glue on the ferrule. what is the best way to get it off. thanks

mike athens

04-07-2002, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> just did my first tip that did not fall off. It was a everest. but I got super glue on the ferrule. what is the best way to get it off. thanks

mike athens <hr></blockquote>

get this http://www.loctiteproducts.com/Loctite_Products/detail.asp?catid=15&amp;subid=35&amp;plid=197

04-07-2002, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> just did my first tip that did not fall off. It was a everest. but I got super glue on the ferrule. what is the best way to get it off. thanks mike athens <hr></blockquote>

i suggest a lathe. anything else will just mees it up.

dan

04-07-2002, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Anonymous:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; just did my first tip that did not fall off. It was a everest. but I got super glue on the ferrule. what is the best way to get it off. thanks mike athens &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

you gotta be stupid to tell someone to buy or look for a lathe just to remove the gel glue. huh!
dan <hr></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
04-07-2002, 03:13 PM
I have use a slightly diluted amount of nail polish remover.. on a piece of napkin. fold and dampen. then add a few drops of nail polish remover.. if not strong enough, add another few drops. slowly work the mixture in the cloth on the area of the super glue.

finish up the work with 600, 1200 and 1500 sand paper..

or get a razor blade and lightly scrape towards the tip. this will remove a little at a time..

04-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Be careful with nail polish remover - I remember reading somewhere that certain types of plastics can be damaged by acetone. I know it's too late now but I like to put a piece of tape around the ferrule to protect it when I glue new tips on. - bryan_mc from Buffalo

SPetty
04-07-2002, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> you gotta be stupid to tell someone to buy or look for a lathe just to remove the gel glue. huh!
<hr></blockquote>

Um, Anon, be careful when calling people names. Some might even think it was stupid to get gel superglue on the ferrule in the first place...

04-07-2002, 05:06 PM

you gotta be stupid to tell someone to buy or look for a lathe just to remove the gel glue. huh!
dan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

well, i don't know you so i'll not go beyond your post to compare relative levels of stupidity but i'd much rather give the cue dr. the job than start hacking at it myself. i do know my level of incompetence in cue repair.

honestly, i was not aware there was a
super glue "remover" out there. that would have saved me some skin the last time i superglued my fingers together.

dan...thank you for your kind interest in my remaining intelect. care to meet and shoot some?

04-07-2002, 05:18 PM
yep! but the gel remover is cheaper thana LATHE. LOL

Troy
04-07-2002, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> just did my first tip that did not fall off. It was a everest. but I got super glue on the ferrule. what is the best way to get it off. thanks

mike athens <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, your experience with super glue is a good reason to have the job done by a cue repair person.

Well, it's too late now to remind you to use gel and use it sparingly. Regular super glue runs way too much. I use just enough gel to cover the tip completely plus just a bit that will ooze out when pressed onto the shaft. Then I wipe off the excess after about 2 minutes of pressure and let it set up about another 5 minutes.

Since the tip is oversize to the shaft, how do you plan to trim the tip to the shaft size ??? (Obviously, the best way is with a lathe.) While you're doing this trim you can also carefully trim the excess super glue. Key word here is CAREFULLY !!!

I suggest you AVOID nail polish remover (Acetone) since that may damage the ferrule.

Good Luck.....

Troy

rackmup
04-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Troy...

I have just one thing to say:

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gifhttp://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gifhttp://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gifhttp://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gifhttp://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gifhttp://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ari.gif

In regard to getting "Super Glue" off your ferrule; I don't know.

I do know how to get a SF Giants fan off your doorstep...

...pay him for the pizza.

Regards,

Ken (said in jest, but meant it just the same!)

stickman
04-07-2002, 09:04 PM
The tape trick works well for me, but like you say it works best before get glue on your ferrule. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
04-07-2002, 09:30 PM
I get glue on the damn ferrule every time I put a tip on! I've been able to find Super Glue Remover at Ace, Lowes, and other hardware stores and it takes every kind of Super Glue I've ever spilled off of the ferrules just fine with no damage.....yet.

Hope it works for you.

Regards, Clumsy JimS.

Troy
04-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Cute Ken..... At least the Giants HAVE fans..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
and they're 6-0..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy..... Knows the season is still very young tho.....

04-08-2002, 12:50 AM
One way is to use a glue meant for cue tips. I have used Tweetens 10 min cement for several years and never had a tip loosen or come off. Also, the best way to use it is to follow the directions. Applying to both ferrule and tip, setting them apart for 10-15 min (until gummy) and then join them. Also, you may be using too much pressure in clamping. I have put on new tips with out any clamping using Tweeten's product.

rackmup
04-08-2002, 06:01 AM
HEY!

We have fans...and evaporative cooling AND Air Conditioning. (It gets pretty hot in Arizona.)

The season is still very young and I expect it will be us battling each other for the NL West.

Regards,

Ken (since moving to Texas I'm being forced to endure AL baseball and the Texas Rangers who are 1-5)

Troy
04-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Don't brag too much Ken, there's also the Cardinals of the NFC West..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Rod
04-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Troy, did you have to bring that up? I about lost my lunch, I had almost forgot about them. Talk about hitting below the belt!

rackmup
04-08-2002, 08:03 PM
I was a long time San Diego Chargers fan until 1988 when, during that fateful year, the Bidwells moved their football team to the Valley of the Sun.

As any good native Arizonan would have done, I adopted them as my football team. Yes, I was apparently a glutton for punishment.

But now, I am in Texas and I will continue to cheer for my Cardinals (although not too loudly) and will also continue to "boo" the Dallas Cowboys (very loudly!)

Now, before you Cowboy fans jump my ass about that statement, allow me to remind you that the last time your "Boys" saw the playoffs was a few years ago when MY Cardinals beat you in the first round and sent you back to "Southfork" or whatever you call that place where Jerry Jones calls home.

Regards,

Ken

Troy
04-08-2002, 09:38 PM
And it's not even football season yet..... I love it..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif