PDA

View Full Version : Dats Why Pool Schools Are A Poor Choice

sledhamrbrk
08-19-2003, 08:17 PM
These pool schools for 500+ bucks running 3 days, 8 hours a day seems like lots of bang for the buck, but as you stated, you definetely get clouded minds with too much to absorb. The bargain just gets lost in the production style approach in those schools, and I agree that even with personal instruction, about 2 hour blocks is right(from a previous post)

------------------------------------------------------
"Those pool schools" and "production style approach"

Comments as such might imply that these pool schools operate in a similar manner such as a label making factory that installs label on same size cans.

I am very thankful that as each student that walks through our doors we are dealing with a unique individual with varying talent levels,varying goals in mind,and their own unique reason for arriving here.This not only provides variety, entertainment and brings on a new challenge with each new visit.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here is a snapshot of one of those school's recent "production"

As it is evident the perception of pool schools being limited to a "canned approach" may not necessarily provide
an accurate account whose sole intent is to see how much information can be stuffed into a time slot.

From first hand experience you are likely to be surprised with quality and experienced instructors using a variety
of methods and techniques. Aside from common belief,more common that not,you probably will find yourself in a one-on-one session as well.

There are a number of good schools out there whose instructors share a sincere dedication towards helping players improve their game ,and have also gained the experience in recognizing if they are over loading a student with too much.

One undisputable benefit of a school is the facility itself. As Mark and Scott can both attest to teaching "on the road" both in pool rooms and residences , doesn't always provide the most ideal facilities for maximum learning experiences.

BTW- Aside from the mentioned instructions,I have been fortunate enough to compete and cash in at 5 of 7 tournaments,in only 2 of which covered my expenses. <font color="#666666"> </font color>

This is by choice that I do this, "I like the heat of the fire" , and my family life allows this. However, I am also not convinced an acceptable credential of good teaching requires one to pay X amount of dollars in entry fees to be considered acceptably qualified.

Sorry Fran, you hit a nerve here too.A player might be cutting themselves short if they have the thought,"I cant learn anything from that guy,he's just comes in and watches everday,he's never even picked up a cue." You never know where your next good lesson is coming from.

pooltchr
08-20-2003, 07:30 AM
I guess I missed the original post, but I think you have to consider each individual and what they are comfortable with. I have had students take my course in 2 to 4 hour blocks over a period of months. They like to work on each segment before moving on to the next. I have also had students come into town for a weekend and complete the entire course. I just got an e-mail from a friend of one of these students wanting to sign up. He said since his friend went through the course, his game has "skyrocketed". Different people learn in different ways. I always tell my students to work at the pace that is most comfortable for them. When I went through pool school, I did it in a weekend, and found it to be just fine. As for the price, it will vary with different instructors. One of the pros charges $1500 for a weekend and gets it! There are master academy's in the price range you mentioned, and there are others that are even less. The important thing is to choose an instructor you are comfortable working with. Ask questions! Interview the instructor. Find one that asks you questions about what you are looking for, as opposed to one who tells you what they are going to do for you. There are good and bad instructors in every area. The BCA instructor certification program does offer some assurance that the instructor has been trained to teach and is not necessarily just a player handing out advise. Remember too that the best players don't necessarily make the best instructors. Even Tiger Woods has a coach. Earl Strickland is a great player, but I don't know if he could teach the game. Do your homework first, and you will find the right school for you