PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a break cue?????????

Jay
08-19-2003, 08:42 PM
I was playing pool at the local ph and I noticed this new guy playing at one of the tables that are usually reserved for the really good players. He was pretty good, made some pretty amazing shots. Well anyways he had this really nice stick and I went over to ask him what it was and to my amazement he was playing with a break stick! His playing cue is really a break stick. Now I know that a lot of people break with their playing cue but I never seen or heard of anyone playing with a break stick.
When I asked him why he played with a break stick he said that he liked the way it feels. Nothing more than that. This had me a little curious and confused. Now what exactly makes a break stick a break stick? Im not talking about a break/jump stick just a plain old break stick. He had awesome control and he played very well. It made me curious, can a break stick be used as a playing cue??? Has anyone ever heard of this?

cheesemouse
08-20-2003, 06:22 AM
Jay,
I think, as a general rule, the better players are 'feel' players and don't allow or consider technique to be a limiting factor in their play. The most striking resent example would be Charlie Williams winning the New York tournament using other than his own equiptment, the airlines lost his luggage and he had to borrow playing, and I assume breaking cues, from other players. I think what allowed him to dulicate his 'feel it' type play was the fact that he plays with Predator shafts, and one feels much like another. This across the board hit of the Predator shaft is one of the benefits of this equiptment...now before anyone jumps me for starting another debate about the love/hate thingee about these shafts my point is: if it feels good do it and Charlie lucked out that his feel could be dupicated very easily with others equiptment. Image how much trouble it would have been if he had been playing with same standard shaft all his life and it had been lost by the airlines, finding something that 'felt' the same would have been nearly impossible...just a thought

Now more to your question "can a break cue be used as a playing cue?" my answer is yes. I often play with my break stick, which is lighter than my normal playing cue if the conditions are slow. I like a light playing cue when I have to force the cue ball around the table for postiion as opposed to fast equiptment where it is easy to move the cue ball around the table, in that case I like the heavier playing cue.

Fred Agnir
08-20-2003, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> . It made me curious, can a break stick be used as a playing cue??? Has anyone ever heard of this? <hr /></blockquote>I've won a couple of tournaments (real B tournaments) with a Predator BK.

At Valley Forge, a surprising number of players in the dungeon were using Predator BK's for shooting.

Fred

griffith_d
08-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Same here,...when I first got the BK, I did not have a 314 and wanted to try it and get a break cue at the same time,..it was a cheap alternative. So, I played with the BK,..overall, it was ok to play with, I got good action, but the shaft is too thick and the tip is too hard for long term playing.

But, it is a playable cue,....better than a lot of cues out there.

Griff

Jay
08-21-2003, 07:20 AM
I thought that the Predator BK come with a 314 shaft on it. Ive heard great things about the BK. If you had the regular breaking shaft and the 314 then you could just switch them out between breaks. Not very practical during tournament play but theoretically it could work.

pooltchr
08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I thought that the Predator BK come with a 314 shaft on it. Ive heard great things about the BK. If you had the regular breaking shaft and the 314 then you could just switch them out between breaks. Not very practical during tournament play but theoretically it could work. <hr /></blockquote>

Gotta be careful here. In many cases, breaking down your cue in the middle of a match is a consession.

griffith_d
08-21-2003, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I thought that the Predator BK come with a 314 shaft on it. Ive heard great things about the BK. If you had the regular breaking shaft and the 314 then you could just switch them out between breaks. Not very practical during tournament play but theoretically it could work. <hr /></blockquote>

It does come with a 314, but the taper is different making it thicker and stiffer,....it is make for breaking. It also comes with a very hard tip,...at that time when I got mine, it came with a tip make especially for Predator by Tiger Products.

Griff

griffith_d
08-21-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I thought that the Predator BK come with a 314 shaft on it. Ive heard great things about the BK. If you had the regular breaking shaft and the 314 then you could just switch them out between breaks. Not very practical during tournament play but theoretically it could work. <hr /></blockquote>

Gotta be careful here. In many cases, breaking down your cue in the middle of a match is a consession. <hr /></blockquote>

Also, the constant breaking down would eventually weaken the joint,...I would think.

Griff