PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a rosewood spliced tip (not butt) ?

Snyder1
08-20-2003, 12:39 PM
At the local flea market, I saw an old one piece cue that caught my eye - it had the typical 4 point walnut butt section, but the tip section had a similarly spliced 4 point rosewood tip. Cue is unmarked, and very old from the condition it was in (no structural issues & straight as an arrow). I'm taking a break from refinishing it at this very moment & will be installing a new tip - should be fun to use once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic. Just curious if anybody's ever seen one & if these were common in yesteryear ... thx.

JS, who paid $0.25 for this cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pizza Bob
08-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Yes, not uncommon in the early part of the 20th century. The butterfly spliced versions were usually decorative and used on higher end cues (i.e. Brunswick 36's or 360's). If yours has a typical 4 point splice it could either be decorative or a repair. As cues needed to be re-tipped, sometimes a new tenon had to be cut. If this was done several times it shortened the cue significantly. Brunswick offered this as a repair - a means to get the stick to full length again. They would do it using maple for like $.25 or ebony or rosewood for $1.00. Pretty neat. If it's reasonably straight, and the cue is unmarked (no mfg decal) it would be interesting to cut it and have it jointed as a custom shaft. You would also have to consider the diameter - many of the early cues were either worn way thin, or came that way. 11 mm to 12 mm was not uncommon. Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob