PDA

View Full Version : glass on shaft

04-07-2002, 06:03 PM
couple of weeks ago i remembered the old trick of rubbing a pop bottle on a baseball bat to make it harder. it least that's what we did when we were kids. anyway, after cleaning and polishing my cue shaft, complete with a good burnishing (leather then dollar) i did a good thorough "bottle rub" on my shaft. darn if the thing isn't resisting dings and staying smooth much better than it had previously. anyone else do this?? is there a wrong way to do it?? i just used medium pressure and kept it turning. seems to have the effect of evenly pre-dinging the whole shaft.?

dan

04-07-2002, 06:25 PM
i think that's a stupid thing to do using a glass bottle unless you use your shaft's cue for baseball. common sense.... hmmm... go figure.

Troy
04-07-2002, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> i think that's a stupid thing to do using a glass bottle unless you use your shaft's cue for baseball. common sense.... hmmm... go figure. <hr></blockquote>

Stupid ??? I doubt that... HDJ comes across as intelligent.

I use a glass rod to assist in ding removal. I have used and suggested to others to use a small, smooth glass bottle if no glass rod is available.

Troy

04-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Anonymous...The only stupid thing on this board is your reply...If you haven't tried it...don't knock it...it works!

Ron Chapiesky in SC

04-07-2002, 07:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: RGC:</font><hr> Anonymous...The only stupid thing on this board is your reply...If you haven't tried it...don't knock it...it works!

Ron Chapiesky in SC <hr></blockquote>

and it will leave you a flat surface on the shaft, stupid!

Troy
04-07-2002, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>
and it will leave you a flat surface on the shaft, stupid! <hr></blockquote>

Stupid / adj / 1a: slow of mind, b: given to unwise decisions or actions. 2: dulled in feelings or sensations.

It is apparent you either are NOT doing something correctly,
or you are unable to do the job correctly.

Correctly done, a glass rod or, yes, even a glass bottle is a very effective method to reduce and/or remove dings.

Troy

stickman
04-07-2002, 08:15 PM
I have seen a small glass rod available on some billiard supply sites to be used for ding removal, but I haven't tried one.

After cleaning my shaft, if I find a ding, I dampen a small piece of tiolet paper and place it over the ding to draw it out, then buff and seal the shaft.

EZMark
04-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Dan wood workers have used this method for years to take dings out of cues, put damp paper towel on shaft till it dries then rub with glass till ding is removed,it works.Thnx EZMark

JohnnyP
04-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Stickman: What are you using to seal the shaft? I've been looking for a link on that.

stickman
04-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Buffing with an undyed piece of leather initially seals the pores of the shaft, then I use a cream colored carnuba car wax. Here's the entire procedure I use. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/stickman32152/>www.geocities.com/stickman32152/</a>

JimS
04-07-2002, 09:39 PM
I've been using a glass rod that I bought from Muellers, about $5, for the last year of so and it's gets dings out beautifully. A friend recommended the technique you use with a drinking glass or smooth bottle and any of these three methods have worked great for me.

I wet the ding, let it dry....somewhat...I usually get too impatient to wait, and then rub all around the ding with the glass/rod/bottle. No sanding and the ding is removed.

I use a leather burnisher to seal the shaft and clean it with cigarette lighter fluid. I love the way the lighter fluid leaves the shaft. Very clean and slick with no scrubbing and I no longer have to use anything abrasive.

04-08-2002, 12:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> I have seen a small glass rod available on some billiard supply sites to be used for ding removal, but I haven't tried one.

After cleaning my shaft, if I find a ding, I dampen a small piece of tiolet paper and place it over the ding to draw it out, then buff and seal the shaft. <hr></blockquote>

well, you see, that's exactly where we are. is it better to puff up all the wood and burnish it down to the level of the puffed ding, or, is it better to lay down the whole shaft to the tightest level possible with glass????

glass is working for me but i'm great at taking dings out with Q-tips.

the plot thickens.

dan

04-08-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm not real happy with anything that raises the grain on a shaft. ANY anonymous idiot knows that the only way to raise the grain is to expand the fibers in the wood, thereby weakening it ever so slightly. I've been using a Snapple (or whatever) bottle that I pluck out of the recycling bin at my local pool hall for years to eliminate dings. I've never had a flat spot, but then, I'm a little too round to begin with. Perhaps Anonymous might be happier if you put the cue on a lathe and rubbed it? (Gee, that sounds slightly dirty doesn't it?)

stickman
04-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Gee Lorri, I hope the idiot remark was meant to be directed at Mr. Anonomous. I didn't have anything negative to post about Dan or his idea, nor would I. In fact, I thought about posting something back to Anon. about his smarta$$ post, and thought better of it. These types are fishing, trying to get someone to bite on there smart-aleck posts. I only said I haven't tried a piece of glass, not that it was a stupid idea. I was trying to support Dan by saying that I had seen the glass rods available from billiards suppliers.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=7579&amp;p age=0&amp;view=expanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=21#Post7579>http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=7579&amp;p age=0&amp;view=expanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=21#Post7579</a>