PDA

View Full Version : What is the "Worst Way" to improve your game.

Rod
08-20-2003, 11:15 PM
I think I have the answer or at least one or two good ones. Only play once or twice a month, tops. Now it's debatable but, thinking whether your using your right or left brain is likely second. Either that or trying to switch brains mid shot. Then how would you know for sure, unless you had a R/L switch. You'd have to hire a shrink. Then you find out your shrink is an SL 2.345687894. You ask, can we just round you off to a 2.35? The answer is no because their not that advanced! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any other bad ways? I figure if we get the bad ways, out of the way, then the rest may be some what good.

When we know the good ones, it will be posted in our inhouse FAQ list. Ya right! LOL

So tell me your worst ways. I know we have a bunch of bad ones because some of you claim not to be able to play. Or if you do play it's crappy. So tell me, what method did you use to get so Crappy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ HTH, but somehow I doubt it

pooljunkie73
08-20-2003, 11:18 PM
The worst way to improve your game is drugs.It works for a while but after that it's all down hill.It catches up to the body real quick.

Blackwolf
08-20-2003, 11:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> When we know the good ones, it will be posted in our inhouse FAQ list. <hr /></blockquote>Perhaps the list the worst ways could be posted in the outhouse FAQ.

bolo
08-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Every week thinking you have discovered the secret of what you have been doing wrong. Changing, changing, changing, till you have no idea what you are doing. I have seen players do this for years and never seem to improve. They would be better off to pick anything and sticking with it then all the changing. I think at a point they begin to go nuts.

Qtec
08-21-2003, 03:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Every week thinking you have discovered the secret of what you have been doing wrong. Changing, changing, changing, till you have no idea what you are doing. I have seen players do this for years and never seem to improve. They would be better off to pick anything and sticking with it then all the changing. I think at a point they begin to go nuts. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap.Tap. Tap

The worst thing you can do is anylize your own game . Let a professional do it for you . It will save you many headache's.

Q

TomBrooklyn
08-21-2003, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> The worst thing you can do is analyze your own game. Let a professional do it for you.<hr /></blockquote>During practice sessions, in between the professional lessons one has taken, is it unwise to analyze your own game?

Rod
08-21-2003, 10:33 AM
I think you might be right. I've seen a lot of that over the years. Currently I know one guy that exemplifies that comment. He's not likely to get better anytime soon. If I could drag him away from theories and aiming systems, he would get better. When he is tired of his bed, he'll ask for help.

Rod

Steve Lipsky
08-21-2003, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> The worst thing you can do is anylize your own game . Let a professional do it for you . It will save you many headache's.

Q<hr /></blockquote>

Qtec, can you elaborate on this? I cannot imagine how you plan to defend this point, but I will certainly let you try.

- Steve

Rod
08-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Steve,

I can't either. An instructor will give a student ways to anylize their game.

Rod

Qtec
08-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Steve, I was reffering to what Bolo was saying .When I said game I meant the technical aspects , stroke , stance , moving on the shot etc.

Later , if need be , I will elaborate .

cyco , I havent forgotten .

I shall return . I'm off to play a pool tournament tonight . I've played 5 times in 7 months , havent even got a cue . Hope I dont embarass myself . Most of the players know me from last year [ good players ] when I was playing regularly and at double the speed I am now .They expect me to show them what its all about . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Another problem is that if I play below par , the intimidation factor is lost . It makes a difference when youre opponent thinks one miss and he has lost . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guess I will have to play smart . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ie [chicken /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif]

No chance . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wish me luck .

Q

Hows this for pressure Fran .

Eric.
08-21-2003, 12:03 PM
How about:

playing with 50 different cues/shafts/tips

unnecessarily changing your fundamentals

wasting time on the new, new thing that will "shortcut" the learning curve (i.e. a secret aiming system)

blabbing ALL day and night on a Pool forum hoping to talk your way into a better player

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
08-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Switching cues every few months since the one you are playing with doesn't work, drinkin heavily while shooting (bad habits develop), not caring and just banging balls around, not concentrating and/or learning on every shot.

Rod
08-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Eric,

I think you a UW hit the old nail on the head too. Man their are plenty of ways to screw up your game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

phil in sofla
08-21-2003, 05:53 PM
When playing equal offense, Fargo, Q-skills, or other practice session games designed to measure gross playing skill levels numerically, just pad the numbers, drop your misses, give yourself extra innings, and make up ever more pleasing and impressive results.

Fran Crimi
08-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Show up at the poolroom to practice, get a table and:

Hit a few balls and then remember a phone call you forgot to make. Make the call.

End the call and hit a few balls, then realize you're thirsty and go get a soda.

Come back, hit a few balls and spot a friend and wave them over. Talk for 20 minutes.

When the friend leaves, hit a few balls and realize you're hungry and would like to order a snack. Go order your snack.

Come back and hit a few balls. Your snack arrives. Eat the snack and then take a restroom break.

Return from the restroom, hit a few balls then look at your watch and realize how much time has passed and you have to leave.

Walk out thinking that you just put in a solid two hour practice session and it didn't even feel like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran

Rod
08-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Ha Ha, Fran you forgot to mention clean or sand and polish the shaft.
Reshape the tip or clean the wrap. Those darn tip tappers. LOL Sometimes I see a good 15 minutes used up there alone.

It may not be the worst but it certainly isn't good!

Rod

Buzzsaw
08-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Conitnually playing people that are not as good as you. You need to find those players that will push you to the next level. When you only play weaker players you will have a tendancy to slack off and lose concentration. I love to get into a game where someone is just kicking my butt because if I'm capable of winning I'll find a way to do it. Whether it's playing better leaves or just concentrating more and making more shots.

08-23-2003, 01:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> whether your using your right or left brain is likely second. Either that or trying to switch brains mid shot. Then how would you know for sure, unless you had a R/L switch. You'd have to hire a shrink. Then you find out your shrink is an SL 2.345687894. You ask, can we just round you off to a 2.35? The answer is no because their not that advanced! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif ~~~ HTH, but somehow I doubt it
<hr /></blockquote>

Funny! Sounds like a couple of Wolves on this board(my distant cousins). /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Qtec
08-23-2003, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Qtec, can you elaborate on this? I cannot imagine how you plan to defend this point, but I will certainly let you try.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

First of all , we are talking about a player who , for what ever reason , thinks he is doing something wrong . He thinks if he can correcrt this fault , he will play better .

Sounds simple enough , but how can you fix something when you dont know whats wrong ?

Like bolo says , you start tweaking . You start looking for faults. [ negative thinking ]

When Tiger is not playing well , he doesnt try to find out whats wrong , he goes to Butch .Butch lets him hit a few balls , sees whats wrong and gives Tiger the 'fix'. Tiger now concentrates on how to swing the right way , not not to do it wrong , if you see what I mean. [ positive thinking ]

When I see a player turn his head around to see if his arm is straight or not I think , there goes another one .

Q

Fred Agnir
08-23-2003, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
When Tiger is not playing well , he doesnt try to find out whats wrong , he goes to Butch . <hr /></blockquote>

You don't seriously think Butch follows Tiger around to every tournament and practice session, do you? He's got his own business.

Tiger does self-analysis, too. Just like we all do.

Fred

Qtec
08-23-2003, 09:57 AM
The point I was making was that even the best golfer in the world goes to his coach if he has a problem with his game/ swing .

The main reason that Tiger and Butch split up a year or so ago was because Butch was unwilling to to coach Tiger exclusively.

Of course you must consider you performance in a match , but thats all about tactics and patterns and how to play the game .

If you have a pain in the chest , do you go to the Doctor or do you start to look up the possible causes on the net . You might think you are about to have a heart attack and be ready to drop dead ,or you might just have indigestion. Before you know it , you are convinced you have a year to live !

A trip to the Doc will set you straight in 10 minutes.

Once you have been to a good teacher , he/ she /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif will give you methods and controls to check your stroke .

I understood this thread to be about the club player trying to do some self-improvement . If thats the case , my advice is dont . Find a good coach and he/she will put you on the right track . This gives you more time to practice getting better , not searching for whats wrong with your game .

" An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less ". A. Einstein.

Q