PDA

View Full Version : Efren story from the 80s

eg8r
08-21-2003, 11:16 AM
I am not sure how many of you here travel over to matchroomsports to read their forums, but one of the members posted about an article from the early 80's. Here is a link to the article (a readable version). The page might take a little bit to fully load because of the pictures. When everything is done loading arrow over to the right of the screen, the article starts over there and continues moving left (was that confusing??).

http://poolkrant.glimworm.com/site144/index.jsp?USMID=99999542&INC=113

Enjoy,

eg8r

Aboo
08-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Great article /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They were playing 9-ball in that tourny, correct? Or was it straight rotation?

cycopath
08-21-2003, 02:50 PM
I believe they were playing Straight Rotation. Because at one point they are talking about the Filipinos playing Rotation and not Straight Pool or 9 ball like the Americans.

What amazes me is Efren's statement:

"To hear him say it, Efren thinks that his game has already gone down a notch or two since 1976, when he believes he was at the top of his game."

He said that in 1983, and here we are 20 years later and he is still a major force to be reckoned with in any game. He is undeniably "The Magician".

Cueless Joey
08-21-2003, 03:22 PM
There were no 9-ball tournaments in the Philippines back in the 80's. I was there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hell, I remember Efren winning the San Miguel Karambola King. straight-rail tourney back in '79.

coolriffs
08-22-2003, 09:53 PM
rotation has always been the game of choice of the in the philippines during those years. nowadays, 9-ball seems to be the more popular but you can still see some of the old-timers playing rotation.

one interesting sidenote to that particular article is the way they played the finals. it was a race to 39! i don't think anyone at that time could have beaten efren with that format.

Nostroke
08-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting that. It may be the most interesting thing ive ever seen online. Fuuny how Phillipine's Pool was in the same situation in 83 as the US has been for the last 40 years, yet they have made such progress since then and we have not moved forward one notch.

eg8r
08-23-2003, 08:46 PM
No problem. I was so surprised to see it that I had to share. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r