PDA

View Full Version : Barfly

Rod
08-21-2003, 09:39 PM
I had never seen that movie until last night. Very interesting to say the least. It kind of reminds me of Leaving LasVegas, I guess because of the booze and the relationship.

Anyway I liked the movie, the acting was superb IMO. Actually it was for both movies. Have you all seen it, or am I the only one not to see a 15 year old movie?

Give my friends another round!!

Rod

Keith Talent
08-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Rod,

That's a funny flick. If you liked that, you oughta check out crazy Bukowski's books sometime, that's Hank Chinaski himself. ... "Post Office" is hard to beat. A pretty quick read: nothing but boozing, horse playing, troubled women, sadistic bosses ...

Hopster
08-21-2003, 10:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I had never seen that movie until last night. Very interesting to say the least. It kind of reminds me of Leaving LasVegas, I guess because of the booze and the relationship.

Anyway I liked the movie, the acting was superb IMO. Actually it was for both movies. Have you all seen it, or am I the only one not to see a 15 year old movie?

Give my friends another round!!

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

That was big joke with me and a few guys i worked with. Someone would ask where we were going after work for a drink and someone would say : The Golden horn !! The name of the dive from the movie. One night i was in one of my blind drunk states and put my mouth under the spigot and was drinking up the beer. The bartender who was a friend of ours started yelling to get Stanley the hell out of here or we were going in the alley. lol
When Mickey Rourke did that in the movie i almost fell off the sofa laughing.
Funny movie, sad but funny.

heater451
08-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Looks like 7 out of 7 favorable reviews, at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0876850867/ref=ase_bohemianinkA/104-3216396-2833553)

I remember starting to read a friend's copy, back in '94 or so. . . .Didn't get to finish it, but I recall both the style and content being interesting.

~started "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" a couple months back, but have gotten away from it. . .
=======================

TomBrooklyn
08-22-2003, 07:54 AM
I saw BARFLY about 10 years ago, Rod. I can't remember much about it, though. Maybe I was drinking when I watched it. I'll have to catch it again sometime.

Kato
08-22-2003, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> ~started "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" a couple months back, but have gotten away from it. . .
=======================
<hr /></blockquote>

Heck, I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 10 years ago and haven't finished it!!!!!!!!

Kato

Keith Talent
08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I've lost 3 or 4 copies of that book that I've loaned to drinking buddies over the years. Think it was poetic justice that my current copy came from a bartender -- who picked it up after it was left behind by some other boozer.

heater451
08-22-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> ~started "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" a couple months back, but have gotten away from it. . .
=======================
<hr /></blockquote>

Heck, I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 10 years ago and haven't finished it!!!!!!!!

Kato <hr /></blockquote>I was thinking that I might have to start a list of books that I've started but never finished, but the only other I can recall right now is, "The Brothers Karamazov", by Doestoyevsky. . . .I guess it would be more telling, that I have a list of "to read" books, and the Bros K is on it, with maybe two others crossed off.

Now, if you want to talk sci-fi/fantasy, I haven't read too much in recent years, but at one time, I read about 300 novels in a little over 3 years. I think that was before I had a drivers license. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

===========================

=k=
08-26-2003, 07:23 AM
rod i watched this movie about ten years ago. it was a thought provokeing movie.. sad but true how many people there are in real life hanging on by a thread.. i sometimes think of this movie when things don't go right in my life. and think as bad is it gets it could always be worse.

SpiderMan
08-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Rod,

My GF had a copy of that movie, sold it on EBay a week or so ago but made a copy first. I told her to put it aside for us to watch.

SpiderMan

nAz
08-26-2003, 11:32 AM
I can't believe he scored with the rich chick in the movie, I can't believe she didn't make him take a bath first! lol

Rod
08-26-2003, 12:33 PM
I think that's the way I view the movie. I say I think because I'm not completely sure. It just kind of sucked me in and I didn't see the begining of the movie. One thing for sure he really doesn't care, but in an odd way he does, but just for his special friends.

Another round for my friennnds ! LOL

Rod

Keith Talent
08-26-2003, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> One thing for sure he really doesn't care, but in an odd way he does, but just for his special friends.

<hr /></blockquote>

Doesn't care in the usual sense, for sure. Bukowski's motto, the one he said he wanted on his gravestone was "Don't try."

Don't know if that made it into granite. Anybody been to his grave, somewhere in the greater Los Angeles area?

SPetty
08-27-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Bukowski's motto, the one he said he wanted on his gravestone was "Don't try." <hr /></blockquote> http://216.15.161.197/101c/222/bukowskicharles.jpg

Keith Talent
08-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Way to go ... at least they did right by him.

Ed Abbey, too, another cranky hero of mine, they obeyed his wishes and carted him out in a sack to a secret spot deep in the desert and laid him to rest the way he asked to be.

On the otherhand, you hear these nightmare stories ... a bartender pal of mine told me how some nitwit family members buried this guy, who croaked unexpectedly at the age of 48, in a Yankee jersey, because HE LOVED BASEBALL. But he was a Mets fan, he HATED the Yanks ... wouldn't be caught dead in such a getup, till he was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hopster
08-27-2003, 10:41 PM
On the otherhand, you hear these nightmare stories ... a bartender pal of mine told me how some nitwit family members buried this guy, who croaked unexpectedly at the age of 48, in a Yankee jersey, because HE LOVED BASEBALL. But he was a Mets fan, he HATED the Yanks ... wouldn't be caught dead in such a getup, till he was. &lt;--Keith

I feel the same way he did. I would come back and haunt my family if they ever buried me in a Yankees jersey.

Keith Talent
08-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Yeah, Hopster, they could forget about keeping any fine china. Be making that midnight creep and knocking it off the shelves.

Fortunately, ours was a Mets household ... except for youngest brother, who ran with some bad people in his youth.

My grandfather, though, was another example of what those folks who never have a clue at Christmas can do to you when you lose consciousness for good.

He had said he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered from a tall building in Gary, Ind., where he was a union rep, and hoped his remains would get in the eyes of his enemies. But his son, my poor Uncle Bob, thought it would be more "respectful" to BURY his ashes in a cemetery plot, very much against my mother's wishes. She, in fact, was the one who went to Opening Day at Wrigley Field with him every year and kept score, so that shoulda counted for something. But he was the eldest and got his way.

Hopster
08-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Fortunately, ours was a Mets household ... except for youngest brother, who ran with some bad people in his youth. &lt;--Keith

I had the same problem with my kid brother, a Yankee fan. All the years they werent in the running i never heard a peep. Then 96-97 rolls around and its Jeter this and Oneil that and etc, etc. Theyre all the same.
I went to my first Mets game in 68, went to about 50-60 games in 69 including the night they beat the Cards to clinch the east and finally went to game 4 of the series.
Never stopped following them and they had some horrendous teams, horrendous !! lol

SPetty
08-28-2003, 11:05 AM
My uncle was a professional baseball player and when he died, at his request, his ashes were spread over his baseball field by my father from a small plane.

Keith Talent
08-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Yankee fans have been so LOUD for so long now. Hopefully, next month half the team will show they really belong in a rest home, kind of like when the guy in "Damn Yankees" was turned back into a middle-aged schlub as he ran down that last fly ball.

I remember being at Shea in '69 during that 11-game winning streak in May that put them in contention. Never had luck to see a Series game in person, but was there for the great Harrelson-Rose playoff rumble in '73. I was there with my mother. 55,000 lunatics were stomping, shaking the stands, and chanting: ROSE EATS $HIT, ROSE EATS $HIT! She asked me, "What are they all saying?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, they're like 17-year locusts, I guess. Probably won't be back in it till 2020. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hopster
08-28-2003, 10:03 PM
I remember being at Shea in '69 during that 11-game winning streak in May that put them in contention. Never had luck to see a Series game in person, but was there for the great Harrelson-Rose playoff rumble in '73. I was there with my mother. 55,000 lunatics were stomping, shaking the stands, and chanting: ROSE EATS $HIT, ROSE EATS $HIT! She asked me, "What are they all saying?" &lt;--Keith

lolol, thats funny. I remeber that game well. I met Rose a year ago. Didnt make that great of an impression me, i will say that.
I met Kranepool and Swoboda and Amos Otis a few years ago at a signing out here. Also used to see Tommy Agee all the time in Corona where i grew up. He used to always be buying beer for his bar a few miles from the stadium at a ditributor near my house. Good times they were.

Keith Talent
08-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Hopster,

Had to love the way Agee played. I met Rusty Staub once ... and picked up Art Shamsky back when I was driving a cab.

When you think of all the improbable things that have happened there, you realize nobody (except Yankee fans) is entirely immune to the Shea Hallucination Syndrome ...

ATLANTA - Tom Glavine shared a crazy thought with Al Leiter last night at Turner Field.
"We're only 10 games out of the wild card with 30 to go," the ex-Brave said. "Why not?"

"Why not?" Leiter later echoed.

Too funny ...