PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

Sid_Vicious
08-22-2003, 07:48 AM
I want an opinion. Our Thursday night league happened to be on a night where the establishment was celebrating a 20 year anniversary, maybe 25, I don't really care(read between those lines if you want.) Anyway, the place had a $5 cover charge this night, which I thought surely was exempt for ten guys scheduled to play league pool. NO! Think again. Besides the fish we had forked out, the festivities sucked, where ANYBODY got five bucks worth of extra fun is beyond me.

Main question though, "Would you vent to the house/management, since this is the PH you call home?" Seems to me that somebody ought to, but I've been known to go into something like this a bit too emotional, so I thought I'd get ideas from this think tank. I frankly feel that league players were shafted, even if there had been bonuses of fun to be had, we all had a match to play, no time to celebrate around the rest of the room. Bummer!!!sid

ChrisW
08-22-2003, 08:07 AM
I would talk to the management about it just to see his reaction to your concerns. You may find out if your presence is really appreciated. Could be the first sign that you should start looking for a new home. Of course I hope that is not the case and he tells you that,during all the preparation for the celebration he overlooked league play and apologizes.
Either way I think its better to talk it out.

At least it could be another 20 years before you have this problem again.

Good Luck,
Chris

Sid_Vicious
08-22-2003, 08:46 AM
"At least it could be another 20 years before you have this problem again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good one! sid

UWPoolGod
08-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Yeah that is terrible that you guys had to pay to get into the place. That is the strangest thing that I have heard in a while. You guys should have just went and played at the other teams bar or your own depending on where the event was. But I would definitely talk to management about that and maybe get your money back.

WaltVA
08-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Sid - I agree 100% with ChrisW - talk to management. Could be oversight; if not, your team may want to look elsewhere. I used to play in a league that had several home locations with live entertainment/cover charges. It was a given that visiting pool teams were exempt; if you showed up with a cue case, the doorman just waved you in.

Walt in VA

Rod
08-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Sid,

Same here, I'd talk with management. They may not be able to give money back but offset your expense with an in house credit.

Personally I would not have walked in the door, but I'm funny about that sort of thing. On a side note, one night at the local PR I had a few beers! LOL Well maybe one two to many but I left without paying my bill. That was table time and a few beers. Since I didn't pay, they had to comp it. I heard about that a week or so later, my next visit. I really forgot and apologized for my shortcoming. I was never asked to pay, but I did throw the gals a few bucks. It all works out in the wash sometimes.

Rod

Buzzsaw
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Sid - First of all why would a bar, that is celebrating an anniversary, charge their patrons to celebrate with them? I know this happens but if I throw a birthday party for myself (which would be a little pathetic) and invite my friends I sure as hell wouldn't ask them for money to help offset the cost and certaainly not my best friends.

I agree with the previous posts I think I would give them a chance to respond but if they are going to charge you I'd start looking else where.

Vapros
08-22-2003, 10:48 AM
It does sound like an unusual way to handle a celebration, but it's his joint and he can run it as he thinks best. If he is a good businessman he should be interested to hear how you feel about it, so tell him respectfully and then forget it.

The rest is just commerce and it's like buying a shirt. If you like the shirt enough to pay the price on the tag, you buy it. If not, you move on down the street and there's no need to slam the door on the way out.

Yes, I would mention it to the owner, but I would not 'vent'.

bolo
08-22-2003, 11:26 AM
I doubt I would say anything. If there are other problems then I may just go somewhere else. If that is the only thing that happened, who cares, let them have their five bucks, life is too short for such petty worries.

Ralph S.
08-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I would've been very hot too Sid. Hopefully if it is an oversight on the owners part, he will refund the cover charges to the players or make it up in another way. Good luck.

heater451
08-22-2003, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Sid,

Same here, I'd talk with management. They may not be able to give money back but offset your expense with an in house credit.

Personally I would not have walked in the door, but I'm funny about that sort of thing. On a side note, one night at the local PR I had a few beers! LOL Well maybe one two to many but I left without paying my bill. That was table time and a few beers. Since I didn't pay, they had to comp it. I heard about that a week or so later, my next visit. I really forgot and apologized for my shortcoming. I was never asked to pay, but I did throw the gals a few bucks. It all works out in the wash sometimes.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>I agree with communicating w/ the management (or owner), and I might check with the league operator as well--If there had been knowledge passed that the players would be required to pay the cover, then the operator might have taken steps to rectify the sitch, like maybe even calling off league for the night, or moved it. As it's been said, however, I don't guess there will be a problem, until the next 20 years.

BTW, one night I was shooting at a place that I didn't normally go to, and evidently two tabs were started for me. When I finished, I paid when I returned the balls to the counter and walked out, but on my way home, the math hit me. By my count, I was sure that I had been undercharged, so I went back the next night, and sure enough, there was a "napkin" behind the bar, with my drinks on it! I went back, because I know some places make the employees pay for anyone who pulls a "drink-and-dash". . . .

==============================

jjinfla
08-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Sid, You don't say exactly what the establishment did give you for the $5.00. Maybe a beer, a sandwich, or cold cuts, or coffee and cake? If you did get something then you really didn't lose the $5.00 bucks did you? I say just forget about it and go one with life. Can't sweat the small s###. Jake

dg-in-centralpa
08-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Sid - I would not talk to management but find a different place to call home. Someone that will appreciate you. That owner will soon miss ten people drinking. It happened with my team two years ago. Our sponsor wouldn't cover our $50 entry fee. Her told me that the club didn't make enough money off of us over the course of a 22 week season. Even though we drank more than the other team they sponsored and we gambled most of the time. We drankl more in one night than the other team did in two months. The only problem was, they were a stacked team and perenial champs and we were there to have fun. For us it was a night out of the house and away from the wives. Oh well... they did miss our money.

DG - revenge can be sweet if done right

TomBrooklyn
08-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.