PDA

View Full Version : "Think long you think wrong"

nhp
08-22-2003, 08:29 AM
I overheard Tony Chohan say this during the Pechauer tournament in Northridge, CA. I have overheard many good players like him talk about how you shouldn't really think much when you play. I noticed most of these guys play really fast. Rafael Martinez plays lightning fast, I can't imagine a thought processing through his head, because he takes two strokes and fires them in with perfect position. Watching the WPC, I think it took Tony Drago about 2 minutes to run a 4-pack! Now I understand that they have a ton more experience than me, but when I play 9-ball I often have to pause for a few seconds to figure out patterns and try to stay in line. These guys seem like they just glance at the table and have everything figured out, and they rarely get out of line. Any thoughts on this?

UWPoolGod
08-22-2003, 08:50 AM
I don't know. Usually when you get up to the table or after the initial break there are certain balls that can only get to one pocket...or clustered. These have to be dealt with of course...but if the table is open there is not very much to think about. Always just have to be aware of which side of the OB you are on, think 3+ balls ahead and put a good stroke to it. Connecting the dots. I find that when I am playing the best the only thing that I really care about is keeping the good angle to the next ball so that I can set up the third. Pretty soon the table is cleared. If I am playing seriously, when I go back to my chair I stair at the table and run through the rack again in my head while waiting for the opponent to rack. Seeing the cueball move around the table.

I never get down on the shot until I have everything set. Once I get down...three strokes (takes stroking left, right, then center to get my stroke straight), then fire. But I know what you mean about playing fast...watching Drago was a blur. Watched the Archer-Tot match on Empire last night and saw Archer miss a few shots (I think) because he was playing too slow..but maybe its just me.

Kato
08-22-2003, 09:38 AM
That Tot/Archer matchup was legendary in the eyes of the CCB'ers at the Open last year. It launched Tot into legendary status. Tot played quick in the match and Grady and Billy were talking about how he played a lot of zone play. Archer didn't play great in the Open last year and played awfully slow. He was tough to watch.

Kato~~~has the video.

UWPoolGod
08-22-2003, 10:07 AM
It was tough watching when Grady and Billy kept diagreeing on the shots. But Tot and Archer did have some interesting outs/shots that had to be dealt with the only way possible. Was amazing seeing Archer run out that tough tough rack...dog the 7 and then have Tot dog it back to Archer. Don't think I have seen too many misses in a row by players.
So many good players around the world I always love seeing ones I have never seen before. I hear alot about certain players getting up in tourneys but never seen them in person. Tony Robles/Charlie Williams for example...never seen them in action.

socrates
08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
My take for what it's worth would be:

All players have a different pace of play. This includes the amount of time spent in the pre-shot routine selecting the proper shot and visualizing the results.

It appears to me that regardless of the time it takes to perform this process the problem occurs when the player does not COMMITT to the shot they have selcted.

For example, many times I have thought through a position play on one side of the line or the other. Almost automatically if I have not committed myself to which of the two I am shooting before I assume my stance and execute the shot the cue ball will stop like magic right in the middle of the two options.

Without the firm committment the brain takes over and executes the shot at a speed to end up in the middle.

As an aside, I think the thought processes involved in the pre-shot routine also effect the rolls you get. I believe that when you are making the balls you are supposed to make and shooting the correct shot (be it a two way, a safety, etc.) that you will get your share of the rolls.

It is when you start missing the balls you are supposed to make or shooting the wrong shot that your opponent gets additional time of possession of the table and invariably will appear to get more rolls than you are.

I may be wrong, as I often am, but that is my take on your question.

Vapros
08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
I think this is tied directly to the data bank of one's experience. The more times you have seen this situation in the past (or one quite similar) the less time it takes you to see how to deal with it. (Hey! I've been here before, and I know what to do.)

Keep in mind that they don't have to have all nine shots planned before they shoot. Probably the next three or four, at the most.