PDA

View Full Version : Proud Pool Dad

Terry
08-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Just thought i'd share my feelings about the Canadian 9-Ball Championships where my daughter played in her first Canadians. I knew she'd be in tough because she is young and only played in one tournament this year which was the Provincials where she won a spot to the Canadians. The juniors are suffering because the new smoking laws didn't go all the way, ( not many places for the juniors to play now that a lot of rooms banned the juniors so they can smoke ) anyways I have to say everyone she came in contact with from players, parents and organizers where very nice to her. I thought it would be great if she won a match but she placed 9th-12th out of 20 players which I thought was great. She took a bad beating 9-0 in her first match but was able to put that out of her mind and play in the moment for the rest of the tournament. They put her picture on http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=1145

Congratulations to Jason Thomas for winning his second straight title. BTW Jason is from Poolhall Junkie73's home province. Terry

Scott Lee
08-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Terry...Congratulations to you and your daughter! You have obviously spent some quality time with her, as her physical and mental game seem to be moving along at a comparable clip! It is VERY tough to ignore getting your ass kicked (9-0), and come right back and play strong! Please give Jessica my best wishes for the next season! We'll look for her to WIN the Jr's before too long!

Terry
08-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words Scott. It's not likely, but if ever find yourself in any of the Maritime provines of Canada you better let me know. Terry

Carlton31698
08-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Congratulations itís great to have children and teens getting involved in billiards on a national level. I hope she wins next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
08-22-2003, 01:43 PM
How cool is that! Congratulations to your daughter. I wish I was playing pool when I was 13! I'd be pretty good by now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
08-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Terry...You just NEVER know! LOL But you can be sure I'll contact you (among others) if, and when I do!

Scott

pooljunkie73
08-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Terry,

Tell your daughter i said congratulations.I bet she opened some eyes.

Jason Thomas is from my province and the guy can shoot.He hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential.I think he really needs a good instructor, he has a few flaws in his game,but, he's on his way.The good news for the juniors is that i believe this is last year in that division.

There is picture of Jason at the website below.

Kent Mc.

Karatemom
08-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Congratulations father and daughter! It sounds like she's got quite a game, but it sounds like her mental attitude is even better. Tell her to keep it up and hopefully we'll see her soon with the "big" girls!

Heide

Terry
08-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Hi Kent, yes Jason is a player for sure. I seen him get beat near the end of the winners side 9-2 by Jason Klatt, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to beat Klatt, but your boy done it. I seen the picture of Jason on NB's site, did I see you there enjoying your meal? if so then I seen you in the roll of referee at last years Canadians. Terry

pooljunkie73
08-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Terry, i would have been on the roll of referee's from the Canadian's.Where did you see that, i never seen it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kent Mc.

Terry
08-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Hi Karatemom, Thanks for the words of encouragement. She has a good mental understanding I think. I remember when she first started pocketing balls, she missed a shot on the four ball and said to me without thinking " thats my unlucky number" so for the next while the only ball she shot was the FOUR.LOL. Now she dosen't have any unlucky numbers. She's not the type to get her head inflated. I told her the quickest way to lose a game is to think your better than the person your playing.

I was impressed with the play of all the kids I seen. Boy, some of them can shoot. Say hi to Chris for me. Terry

Terry
08-22-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's you or not but I seen this guy referee at last years Canadians in Saint John. http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/coopie/banquet.html

Terry
08-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi Carlton, It's great to have her enjoy the game with me. Maybe in a few years she'll be a threat, who knows. Terry

Terry
08-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi Suzan, it's great that she playing this young as long as she gets a good education so when she gets old like us ( LOL ) she can buy a table of her own so she can enjoy the game all her life and pass it on to her kids. Terry

pooljunkie73
08-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Terry,

Nope isn't me.

Are you guys coming to the Eastern Canadians? Your daughter can shoot in the juniors and the "open".

Kent Mc.

Rod
08-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Terry,

Congrats to your daughter and you. Taking a first round beating isn't very much fun, I know. Who knows down the road when she finishes college she may be quite the player.

This was just the first year so it was more of a dress rehearsal. Maybe next year the fireworks start. Wish her good luck.

Rod

Terry
08-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi Kent, I don't think we'll be able to make it this year. We have a wedding on the eleventh that we just can't miss. There is one other referee I can visalize from last year, do you have lets say- not so much hair up top? The only other ref I recall is Dale and I know him. Terry

Terry
08-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Rod, thanks for the kind words. With all my kids I give them the opportunity to not rejoin/continue a sport or activity at the END of that year or session IF it is not something that is nessasary, like we live by the ocean so swimming lessons is a must. When I asked Jessica if she wanted to continue to play and take an other shot at the Canadians, she looked at me like she couldn'd beleive I was actually asking her that question,LOL. Anyway, I know were all here because we love pool and I just wanted to share our little moment of joy with people that understand the inner and outer game of pool. Thanks, Terry

SRpool
08-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Please tell her congrats...playing in a big tournament like that is the best way to get better and get an edge on competition. Good luck in the future and I will be looking out for you in the future.

Sarah Rousey

Jimmy B
08-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Congrats, put her in as many as she wants to play, it won't be long till she's knocking them off. JB