08-24-2003, 07:38 AM
AMC will be showing The Hustler on Monday at 12:55pm

Jake

PQQLK9
08-24-2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks...off to set the DVR

Nightstalker
08-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Yep, I have it marked on the calendar so I don't forget to record it.
Also! The Color of Money will air very early this Saturday morning at 2am on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).

daviddjmp
08-24-2003, 05:58 PM
I bought both of them on DVD. I must have seen the opening scene of the Hustler a few hundred times. That is one fabulous film. Color of money is entertaining as well, with appearances by Keith and Grady-

Keith McCready
08-26-2003, 02:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr>Color of money is entertaining as well, with appearances by Keith and Grady<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Earthquake

pooltchr
08-26-2003, 05:56 AM
I also have both on DVD. I can't count the number of times I have watched them. Yes, Keith did a great job, but my favorite part is the look on Miz's face when Eddie asks him if this is his first tournament.

daviddjmp
08-26-2003, 08:59 AM
That is a great scene, I forgot about that! I have only seen that movie 3 times, just now connected Mizerak's face with the scene-

jjinfla
08-26-2003, 11:05 AM
So how does one shoot that opening scene shot? Where the OB and CB are frozen to each other and the OB frozen to the rail. I was told Hopkins demonstrated it on TV with high left but when I try it I don't even come close. Jake

ChrisW
08-26-2003, 11:10 AM
On the DVD Mike Massey demos it also.

Years ago Tom Rossman tought me how to do as well.
Its been a while since I tried it but I think it was
straight top and a slight aiming angle.
I would have to try it to remember.

Chris

Rod
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Man is my memory getting bad. I don't remember a shot at the begining. LOL Is this just a simple push with side english?

ChrisW
08-26-2003, 11:49 AM
The push shot would put the object ball in the close pocket.
The movie shot puts the OB cross corner.

Still pretty simple once you have done it a few times.

Chris

jjinfla
08-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Chris, Now that you mention it I do remember seeing Dr Q do it in the trick shot tournament. He dresses it up by putting extra balls parrallel to the shot. I believe Massey was his opponent and he did it too. Jake

smoovestroke
08-26-2003, 10:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Man is my memory getting bad. I don't remember a shot at the begining. LOL Is this just a simple push with side english? <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe it's because they're mixing movies. When they're talking about the Miz they're talking about "The Color of Money".

Didn't Miz say, "I didn't deserve that." and Eddie replied, "Yes. Yes you did." Miz definitely had a puzzled look on his face after that. All the pool players did a great job in that movie especially Grady and Keith because they had quite a bit of dialogue.

HiPockets
08-27-2003, 09:53 PM
"Hello Eddies girl!"

JohnBarton
08-27-2003, 09:55 PM
The Hustler DVD is a real gem. All the extra features are truly wonderful. I have watched it about 20 times. Just listening to the filmmakers talk about making the film is magic. There is a feature which has Mike Massey explaining the various shots throughout the film. This is kind of neat. It is also neat to see that The Hustler was premiered and treated as a MAJOR movie.

Two Thumbs UP and BUY. Also please, please read the book - it's better than the movie.

John

magicman
08-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the notice, imho, the best pool movie ever made.
It's magic, The magicman /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bolo
08-27-2003, 10:00 PM
It was certainly a major movie, it was nominated for 9 academy awards and I believe more then 15 others both nationally and internationally. It ranks right there with movies like Casablanca and the Godfather, in that there is almost nobody that does not know the movie with just the mention of the name. I honestly don't know anyone who has not seen it, whether a pool player or not.

A lot of good sales this weekend. I think I will get a DVD player, if for nothing else just to see the Hustler. Great description thanks.

L.S. Dennis
08-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Without a doubt "The Hustler" was not only the best pool movie ever made but also one of the best MOVIES ever made.

If it weren't for the fact that West Side Story had come out in the same year The Hustler would have won more acadamy awards that year.

One note of trivia, if I'm not mistaken I remember reading an interview with Mosconi in which he said he was asked by the film producers who he would recommend for the parts in the film before it was made. Jackie Gleason was obvious for Minnesota Fats but Mosconi recommended Frank Sinatra to play the part of Fast Eddie Felson. They rejected his second suggestion and went with Newman and the rest is history.

bolo
08-27-2003, 10:32 PM
I believe the first choice was Jack Lemmon who turned it down. Jack Lemmon I believe could play a little and may have been convincing as a player. I think the Paul Newman style of acting, a copy of Brando, turned out to be just the right style with the B&amp;W. It is a piece of art and we are lucky to have it. Sometimes it all just works.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-28-2003, 06:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> So how does one shoot that opening scene shot? Where the OB and CB are frozen to each other and the OB frozen to the rail. I was told Hopkins demonstrated it on TV with high left but when I try it I don't even come close. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I watched COM last night and Newman shot what I think was the same shot, only table length instead of cross-corner.

<font color="red">Drambuie and potato salad.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

ChrisW
08-28-2003, 07:07 AM
I could be wrong here but, I think the shot in COM the cue ball was against the rail and the object ball was froze to it.
In the Hustler they were reversed.

I will have to watch it again to find out.....Damn!
Chris

Fred Agnir
08-28-2003, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisW:</font><hr> I could be wrong here but, I think the shot in COM the cue ball was against the rail and the object ball was froze to it.
In the Hustler they were reversed.

I will have to watch it again to find out.....Damn!
Chris <hr /></blockquote>You're correct.

cycopath
08-28-2003, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="red">Drambuie and potato salad.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>What's the ingredients of a drambuie and potato salad? Does anyone know? I tried to look it up online and could not find it anywhere?