PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for Tennis

eg8r
08-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Here is a CNN link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/tennis/08/21/bc.ten.usopen.sampras.ap/) about Pete Sampras. He is possibly the greatest tennis player ever, and he is retiring today.

I grew up watching him play and have seen (on TV) a lot of his Grand Slam wins. I have however always rooted for Agassi, but I am sorry to see Pete leave the game.

eg8r

Kato
08-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I never saw anyone play better on the grass at Wimbeldon that was better. I thought him better than both Bjorg and McEnroe though I'm sure that's easily debatable. I love the serve and volley game, Pete is the best at that I think.

Kato

Qtec
08-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Pete was the best serve and volley player I have ever seen .At Wimbledon ,for years , nobody could touch him.

Andy Roddick is on the up but he's not in the same class as Pete though .

Q

Kato
08-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Roddick doesn't serve and volley though, not as much as I think he should. He just likes to pound from the baseline. Personally I think he should mix it up, he's the next great American when Agassi retires.

Kato~~~Agassi and Roddick fan.

Karatemom
08-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Pete has been talking about reirement for a while now. I think that the game won't be the same without him, but he has definitely made an impact on the game. He will go down as one of the best. He will be missed. Now I will miss those finals between himand Agassi, unable to decide who I'm rooting for, LOL.

Heide ~ will be watching the Open as much as possible

Keith Talent
08-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Sad to see him go. In his prime, on a fast court, and for big stakes, don't think anyone who has ever played could take him.

Though he's not at all flashy, he had great flair for pulling off the big shot. And if he comes off as kind of dim in interviews, it's amazing how he could impose his will on a tennis court when it mattered. Still recall one point vs. Agassi in, I think, the '95 U.S. Open final when it looked like Andre was going to pass him by as No. 1. It was in, I believe, a first-set tiebreaker ... an epic baseline rally of 25-30 shots ... Agassi's kind of point, but Pete absolutely refused to lose it. Match was over right there, though they played another hour and a half.