PDA

View Full Version : Should poolhall owners ban deadbeats?

Cueless Joey
04-08-2002, 02:48 AM
My local poolhall owner does. There are two deadbeats in my local hall. One lost 400 bucks and did not pay. He was still gambling around until the victim reported him to the owner. Deadbeat denies it but is proven he was lying. So deadbeat number one settles his debt so he can still gamble. Great, since he's lost about 3k so far to a friend of mine. Second deadbeat ran on me. He owes me $120. He was told he'd be banned if he didn't settle his debt.
I say owners should ban deadbeats. Gambling at my hangout is common. The owner doesn't like gambling of huge amounts but my friend bets up to $1500 a set. Most gamble around less than a hundred a set. There have been no problems at all except for these two.

Chris Cass
04-08-2002, 07:07 AM
Hi Joey,
Unfortunatly pool room owners don't like to get involved with the gambling customers private affairs. They will however get involved if it's brought to there attention and could have a possibility of losing the good customers.

I feel they should be allowed to come in and play if they settle their debt. The games following that should be with the doe locked up. I with you hate to be stiffed. Especially if I pay when I lose. This happened to me where I play once. I spent on average $1200. a yr. playing, that's $60.00 mth rate with weekends being extra. Food, and something to drink. Spent 1 yr. going atleast 4 hrs. a day to get part of my game back.

One day I'm practicing on the 9ft. and this pewk asks me if I want to play some cheap. I said, whats cheap? He said, $2. a game and required the 6 ball wild. I declined. He sat and woofed till, I couldn't take it no more. I went to the bar box and said, ok dude, lets do it. I beat this guy 26 games straight. He starts throwing aroung the house cue. Swearing loudly and I felt totally embarassed in front of the onlookers. I said, that's it I want my doe, I quit. He says, to me YOU hustled me. I said what? You hustled me and I'm not paying you.

I was so pissed, I said what do you want? He said the 5 ball. I said ok, you got the 5 but quit acting like an idiot throwing [censored]. Beat him 4 more straight and he says he quits. I put my equipment away and this jerk tells me I'm not gonna pay you. I said, you mean you don't have the money right? He pulls out the doe and says, No, I got the money but you hustled me and wanted the 5 out. I said for $2. a game? Pay me what you owe and lets drop it. He says, no. I went to the counter and told the owner what happened and if he doesn't throw him out or I don't get paid, I'm going to knock his head off.

Nothing happened, I got up in this kids face and he still refused. I pulled back my fist and the owners wife said, anyone throws a punch and your both out of here. I told the kid, this isn't over and we'll do this again soon. I got my stuff and went up to the counter. Told both the owner and his wife. You want him for a customer, then you lose me.

Was at a tourney at a bar and guess who walks in? Before I knew it, he walks up to me and pays me. He apologizes up and down for disrespecting me. I took the money, that wasn't the principal of the thing. Told him, you accepted the game and I've never seen you play. You asked me to play not me you. He agreed, and that was the end of it. I wanted soo much, to mix it up with him too, but I'm a reasonable guy.

I dropped the mth. rate and only play 1 to 2 days a week now. The owner lost the business and any players lost some action, which hurts everyone. I gave advice, when needed to people who asked, and a game for those who needed some action. I've spent money and kept an eye out for the counter guy who likes to use the bathroom, all too long. Everyone loses in that scenario, especially the owner. I know he regreted losing a good paying customer and friend, for a guy that comes in and spends maybe $30. a yr. and that's stretching it. That's life.....

JMHO,
C.C.~~it's not about the money as it is respect.

jjinfla
04-08-2002, 07:48 AM
Chris, you must be a patient man to put up with that. I would think a person would realize way before 26 straight losses that he was out of his league. Like maybe 3-4 games. And it never fails, the worst players are always the first ones to start calling someone a hustler. Jake~~~lost a bunch of games to the local pro getting the 5 or 6 but it was a well paid for lesson. A lot cheaper than paying him for lessons, which I have also done, and a very enjoyable experience to boot.

Q-guy
04-08-2002, 09:11 AM
Can't see where it is the owners business. Unless they are directly involved, which would be an illegal act (Operating an establishment for the purpose of gambling). Suppose the other guy says he thinks it was an unfair game and he should not have to pay. Does the poolroom owner hold court? There is no end to the ridiculousness of this. If you want to gamble, do it and keep it quiet. It is no ones business but your own. If you don't trust each other then put up the money, but stop acting like children. Gambling is a mans activity. Maybe if you get your mother on the phone she will take care of it for you. As far as fighting over a pool game or not getting paid, what do you do? Unless you want to begin breaking laws and threatening people with harm, accept it as a part of the architecture of gambling. Learn who to gamble with and who not to gamble with. If in doubt, put up the money.

SpiderMan
04-08-2002, 09:28 AM
It might work somewhere, if the "deadbeat" really wanted to keep coming back. But
the problems I see are (1) Can the owner really be expected to arbitrate all the
disputes? Probably not. I don't think I'd want to. (2) What if he listened to the
story, sided with the guy you thought was a deadbeat, and told you to pay him
instead of the other way around. Would you go along to preserve the integrity of
the court?

It all sounds like something that shouldn't be an owner's responsibility. But, in most
cases, guys who welch on a bet usually go to extremes to avoid their creditors
anyway. And most of the places I play will ban chronic troublemakers.

There is one place I play now and then that has a formal ban policy. Not for gambling,
which they wisely don't get involved in, but for fighting. Regardless of who
instigated the trouble, anyone involved in a fight has to pay a $200 fine to the
bar before they can come back. There's a sign over the door that says so,
and they have a bouncer to enforce it.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> My local poolhall owner does. There are two deadbeats in my local hall. One lost 400 bucks and did not pay. He was still gambling around until the victim reported him to the owner. Deadbeat denies it but is proven he was lying. So deadbeat number one settles his debt so he can still gamble. Great, since he's lost about 3k so far to a friend of mine. Second deadbeat ran on me. He owes me $120. He was told he'd be banned if he didn't settle his debt.

Cueless Joey
04-08-2002, 10:19 AM
That's a great story CC. The guy I beat lost 4 sets in a row b4 I asked him to post up. He started whining when I did that. The owner heard him whining so he asked us what was going on. I told the owner he lost 4 sets and has not pulled his money yet. The owner, who used to gambe a lot as well, told him to post up every after set. He whined some more then later took the balls to the counter and disappeared. He'll be back, he plays in a league. He's been told to settle and has agreed to it. I guess, I'll have to chalk this up to experience.

04-08-2002, 11:02 AM
The people who welsh on gambling debts are not the worst customers in the joint, as far as the operator is concerned. They are a problem mainly to those who gamble with them and fail to stipulate that all money must be posted, and who usually should have known better.

Pool rooms are also frequented by low-life types who would be barred by most other businesses for their language, appearance and behavior. They agitate, insult and pollute the environment with their presence. Sadly, they are also, frequently, the best players in town, the center of a lot of the action and the backbone of many poolrooms.

This is why our game cannot rise much above its current level, and that's a shame. It's a great game. If there is a remedy available, I can't think of it. The sponsors will be few and reluctant until there is significant elevation of the image.

Ken
04-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Chris, Where you playing now? The five and out sounds good to me. Beats paying for lessons. I'll even post up.
Ken

OntheSnap
04-08-2002, 01:27 PM
The world should ban deadbeats!

MaineEAck
04-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Someone was banned for 2 weeks or so for "being mouthy" I think he is due back tomorrow, although he said he is not coming back, I know he will. Other then that, I can't think of anyone that has ever been Permanently Banned, although a few can only drink soda! Lol!

cheesemouse
04-08-2002, 04:01 PM
If it is the first time I have played with a guy I like to put the stakes on the light. Then as soon as the money stops coming out of the pocket when the game/set/race is over the session is over with the winner taking the stakes off the light. This eliminates the air barrel being fired at you also....the cheese hates the air barrel.

Sally
04-08-2002, 05:00 PM
This wouldn't, by chance, be Zeke at Danny K's that we're talking about, would it?

Cueless Joey
04-08-2002, 05:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sally:</font><hr> This wouldn't, by chance, be Zeke at Danny K's that we're talking about, would it? <hr></blockquote>..........
My lips are sealed.

04-08-2002, 06:12 PM
The trick is not to let it happen. Whether you're playing for a $100 or a $1000, put that amount up front. When someone loses and can't cover the bet, the winner picks up the front (or stake) money and noone gets ripped-off. If you insist on putting money on the wire, you should expect to get stiffed a few times in your life. As the saying goes," An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure". Jim R.

Chris Cass
04-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi Q-Guy,
As far as gambling goes. I've been gambling since I was 15. I don't care about the money. I've got money. I don't like some punk woffing at me, then when we play, he loses and not pay.

If the owner wasn't a friend, I would have decked him. I'm not a violent man, but I am Italian. I take a lot of lip biting at work from gamblers, who can't afford what they bet. The true gamblers don't say Jack, when they lose. It's total dis-respect to woff and blatenly show the money and rub your nose in it. That's be about enough for me to duke it out. LOL

I just think my situation wasn't like the original post. I shared my thought's on that already. Sometimes you have to say enough is enough and crack a few skulls.

I had a friend that was playing and a guy came over he didn't know and just picked up my friends cigarettes and took the whole pack. My friend went over to him and said, they were his. The guy said, I know. My friend took his hands and, popped this guys, ear drums at the same time. The guy cried so loud. That was not about the cigarettes, for sure. Never seen blood run from someones ears before. Kinda cool, but I did feel bad for him.

Regards,
C.C.

04-08-2002, 06:46 PM
Where I come from the owner of the pool hall got so fed up with the gambling and the garbage that accompanies it that he banned gambling all together. Since all of the hustlers left you have to get there early to get a table. The business has tripled at least. He has a goldmine now.

Chris Cass
04-09-2002, 07:06 AM
What do I look like? Like I was kicked in the head by a finch? The third smallest bird in the world? LOLLOL
I couldn't give up that kind of weight, I hear Steve L. would. LOL No, I didn't mean that.LOL

Seriously Ken, Your too good for that. I've always said, Don't beg if your old enough to steal. See I've got to change that now. You'd be stealing. LMAO

Good try bud,
C.C.