PDA

View Full Version : Death of a pool player

Wally_in_Cincy
08-26-2003, 08:22 AM
I had not mentioned this before because it's too painful. We got bad news Sunday morning. As it turns out, while we were watching the sun come up over Myrtle Beach Friday morning one of my Monday night teammates was drawing his last breath.

His name was David Scott. He was 25 and I had played on the team with him for 3 years. He leaves behind a young wife and 2 girls ages 3 and 5. He apparently ingested just the right combination of chemical mind-altering enhancements to cause his heart to quit beating.

His obituary stated that he was an avid poolplayer and a member of the APA. He never really watched the pros but I would loan him tapes and he would always ask me stuff about the pro's game. I'm really going to miss that.

I will attend his funeral today at 2:00 pm.

Folks, if you know anybody with a drug problem, please try to clean them up before it's too late.

later...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Very sad indeed. I'm sorry for his families loss.

Kato

Keith Talent
08-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Damn, Wally, what a shame. There but for the grace of some mighty good luck go I ... and many of us, I guess. Poor kids. Really sorry to hear it.

Steve Lipsky
08-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Terrible news, Wally. My sympathies.

- Steve

WaltVA
08-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Wally - My sympathies to his family and the rest of your team. A life cut short at such an early age is doubly tragic.

Walt in VA

Rod
08-26-2003, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Wally. Now he has left a wife and two little girls that will never know their dad. Very sad to hear such terrible news.

Rod

pooltchr
08-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Real sorry to hear this news. I can only offer sympathy. I would echo your request to try and get through to anyone you know who might be having a similar problem. Doing drugs is not the way to enjoy life.
Steve

Rich R.
08-26-2003, 09:40 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r
08-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Wally, sorry for your loss and the family.

eg8r

DSAPOLIS
08-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Wally,

I will keep them in my prayers. This is a sad, but very real problem in the world, and it is not exclusive to pool players. Many of my current health problems stem from my years of amphetamine abuse, along with other Wreck-reational drugs. I am a prime example that it all catches up to you in due time. Several years ago I wrote about drugs in a post on RSB entitled "Drugs will ultimately kill you"

http://www.cuemaster.com/RSB/drugs.htm

This message still rings true today, sadly.

cheesemouse
08-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Wally,
How unfortunate sorry for your and his family's lose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pooljunkie73
08-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Wally,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your teamate. My sympathy's go out to you and his family.

I have bean clean now for only six months after 10 years of addiction. This has bean the hardest time in my life,but it's better than the alternative.I have been very lucky, all my medical tests have come back negative for problems from the abuse.Some have not been so lucky,like David.I thank God everyday for giving me the strengh to keep going on.People may not realize the damage they are doing to themselves and their family. It took alot before i finally realized.

Take care,

Kent McGovern /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Qtec
08-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I agree Kieth .Drug addiction is a disease. Anybody can get it . Some of us are more at risk than others.

I have seen people turn from a user to an addict in two months . They all think they can handle it , but the Dragon is too stong . Thats why its called the Dragon.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Q

Eric.
08-26-2003, 11:45 AM
My condolences, Wal.

Addiction is a tough monkey to beat, alot of us here have been down that road, myself included.

I feel for your friends family, losing an immediate family member is the worst feeling on Earth.

Eric

Barbara
08-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Wally,

My condolences to you and your friend's family.

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
08-26-2003, 03:07 PM
My condolences to you, his wife, and especially his kids.

Ralph S.
08-26-2003, 05:37 PM
It is always tough losing a friend. Many of us, if not all, have had a sad moment like this darken our lives. I will be praying for his family and I offer my condolences.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-27-2003, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> Wally,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your teamate. My sympathy's go out to you and his family.

I have bean clean now for only six months after 10 years of addiction. This has bean the hardest time in my life,but it's better than the alternative.I have been very lucky, all my medical tests have come back negative for problems from the abuse.Some have not been so lucky,like David.I thank God everyday for giving me the strengh to keep going on.People may not realize the damage they are doing to themselves and their family. It took alot before i finally realized.

Take care,

Kent McGovern /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Kent,

Thanks for sharing that. If anyone could have been at that funeral and seen the absolute unmitigated misery in that room they might think twice about continuing down the treacherous road of drug use. I hope you can continue to be strong and stay clean.

David's 11 year old nephew tried to speak but when he got to the podium all he could do was sob. At that point David's mom got up and waved her finger at the assembled mourners (which included at least 4 or 5 known narcotics dealers that I was aware of) and hollered "That's why you people have got to get off this stuff!! Look at the pain in this boy". The drug users stared at the floor. When the kid stoped crying he read his prepared statement: "Uncle David used to take me fishing and let me go to work with him and stuff. I'm going to miss him" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The preacher tried to be upbeat but he eventually broke down and cried. I don't remember ever seeing that.

Then this big burly guy (looked like a former motorcycle gang member turned devout Christian) got up and began berating the drug users in the audience. 2 girls and 1 guy got up and walked out /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but everything the guy said was the truth.

God it was awful. David's widow and his brother were just zombies. His brother plays on our pool team too. He said he hoped this was all just a bad dream and he wanted to wake up /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The worst funeral I ever attended was for a brother-in-law that blew his brains out. This was the second-worst.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone but don't feel sorry for me. I'm still alive by the grace of God. Pray for Angie Scott the young widow.

PQQLK9
08-27-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks for sharing that story Wally.
My prayers go out to the family.

WesK
08-27-2003, 09:31 AM
My condolences as well.

wes

wolfdancer
08-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Wally, that is a sad story...to die so unnecessarily at such a young age; leaving a family behind.
Unfortunately, some of us have seen it happen to our own friends and family. I have one nephew dead, and another in prison, over drugs...maybe your post will help someone to "just say no"

John in NH
08-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi Wally,

Shocking news, excellent advice about cleaning up drugs, my best to his family, friends.

Sincerely,

John