PDA

View Full Version : Experts: How would you play this shot?

BRussell
08-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Here's a shot that came up for me recently, and I mis-played it badly. But even when I went back and tried it again after the game - over and over - I had a lot of trouble with it.

I'm curious how the experts here would play this one:

In a game of 9 ball, the cue ball is in the exact center of the table. The 8 ball is on the long rail, stuck on the rail one diamond away from the corner pocket. The nine ball is on the other side of the table on the far short rail, stuck on the rail in the middle.

----------------------------------------
|.........................................8......|
|................................................. |
|.9.................C...........................|
|................................................. |
|...................X..........................Y|
----------------------------------------

How do you get the cue ball back up table for position on the 9, and avoid the scratch in X and Y?

BBCVD
08-26-2003, 11:30 AM
high right

UWPoolGod
08-26-2003, 11:31 AM
I would play the shot below with upper right english spinning it around three rails to make the 9 in pocket B.

Weit Table:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Copy and paste the below stuff on the table screen.

START(
%Hn2D0%ID0O8%P[5O2%Qs5B2%RA5[4%Uj7Z1%Vr6O9%Wl4C9%X\3O1%Yr2C8
%Zo1C8%[M1E4%\i3Z9%]C7Y9%^C8Q1%eC5`4%_r7O3%`n5H3%al9D5
)END

CrispyFish
08-26-2003, 11:36 AM
WEI table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

I'm not an expert, but here's what I would try. Maybe somebody will correct me if it's a bad idea:

START(
%Hm9C9%IC8O6%P[2O7%Qs5B2%RA5[4%UK2E2%Ve0[1%Wr5I8%Xl5C8%]f2Z5
%^r9K1%eC2`6
)END

nAz
08-26-2003, 11:53 AM
thats how i would play it.

Rod
08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
High right, maybe a touch more right than high. Remember you won't scratch in Y if you hit the 8 ball first. If you scratch in Y or come close you have split hit or hit rail first.

The other way is a poor choice unless it's your only shot. To be safe I'd make sure to hit short of the side pocket. Your going to have more angle at the 9 but you are still at the table. LOL

Rod

Fred Agnir
08-26-2003, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr> Here's a shot that came up for me recently, and I mis-played it badly. But even when I went back and tried it again after the game - over and over - I had a lot of trouble with it.<hr /></blockquote>

How did you miss it? I assume you're playing with some blend of high inside english.

Two things:

1.) Don't hit the cushion first

If you hit the cushion first, or else the cueball will leave the first cushion flatter and might not even hit the head cushion. Scratching or getting caught up in the corner is a possibility.

2.) Squirt

If you have a normal squirt cue, then you should be aiming this shot thicker than you would a centerball shot. Thicker, I said.

Fred

BRussell
08-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks much folks!

I'm embarrassed to say that in the game I tried to draw it past the side pocket but scratched. When I went back to try it later, I tried it with high right, but I never could get around the corner. Usually I'd scratch or not even make it to the corner pocket.

Hit the ball first! I never thought of that before, but of course it makes perfect sense. That's great advice, and I tried it and I can make the shot perfectly now.

My natural inclination is to hit the rail slightly first, or rail and ball at the same time, on those frozen rail shots, as Byrne suggests. But of course the english won't take if you do that. Duh me.

Thanks people.

BTW that's a nice pool table in shockwave. Better than my ascii diagram. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
08-26-2003, 02:54 PM
This is one of my favorite shots to practice. High right english and "Bend it like Beckham"!

Also practice it from the other side of the table, too.

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif