PDA

View Full Version : One-pocket old school v/s new school

Carlton31698
08-26-2003, 01:30 PM
One-pocket old school v/s new school

This weekend I got to play an old time player from the Johnson City days some cheep one-pocket. His name is Sonny Springer, he is listed in the book Lions and the Lambs as a lion. Many of the players from his day consider him to have been one of the top 10 one-pocket players of his day. He had come in to visit the owner of my local poolroom, after they were through talking I told Sonny that I was trying to learn how to play one-pocket and would like to play him some and see what I could learn. I offered to play even ten a game if he would help me out with my game (I have no chance to beat Sonny even). He said that if I really wanted to learn he would play 5 a game and help me improve my game. We played for about 2 hours (Sonny is in his 70ís he is not able to play for long periods anymore) I didnít win a game but I learned a lot. It was a great experience. Oh yea he let me off with only paying table time.

I have seen a lot of strong players play one-pocket; many have come through saying they only play one-pocket. After hearing Sonny explain things and watching him play, I am begging to wander if this new group of one-pocket players really knows how to play one-pocket, or are they playing 9ball in a one-pocket game? The reason I ask this is because of the moves and shots the old time players shoot v/s the ones the new ones shoot. Donít get me wrong the new one-pocket players can and do win the way they play, it just seems they donít know some of the really important shots and moves. What do you think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PQQLK9
08-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a great experience with a great guy...can/will you share some tidbits you learned?

NH_Steve
08-26-2003, 02:08 PM
There have always been 'shooters' and 'movers' in One Pocket. Lassiter wasn't a 'mover', yet he could and certainly did win against the best of the Old School.

In two hours your head must have been spinning if he showed you alot & you're new to the game, 'cuz there sure are a whole lot of 'moves' to One Pocket.

Players like Shannon Daulton -- I suspect still under thirty -- do not appear to suffer from a lack of understanding of the game. Don't forget, knowledge tends to be a cummulative thing, with each succeeding generation adding to the general body of knowledge. Unless of course the entire culture is lost. One Pocket has never been 'lost', it's just always been an elite game with regional ebbs and flows of popularity.

Welcome to a great pastime!

BillPorter
08-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Wow! I haven't heard the name "Sonny Springer" since I picked him up in some small town in Mississippi back about 1963 on the way to a pool tournament in Macon, Georgia. He seemed like a nice guy back then and, I guess, he's still a nice guy! I think "old school" one-pocket players placed much more emphasis on defensive moves. They were more likely to make a ball or two and "duck" than modern players who are much more aggressive. Nowdays, it's all about running 8 and out. I was talking to Joe Salazar a couple of years back about a match he played with Danny Basavitch (Kid Delicious). Joe said he almost always was first to get a shot at his hole, but he rarely was able to run out from that point. Danny, on the other hand, ran out time after time when he got a shot at his hole. Old School vs. New School and New School won. Personally, while it's fun to watch a real shooter run balls, I kind of like the Old School style with his many, subtle moves.

Vagabond
08-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Howdy folks,
That is what Buddy Hall told Grady mathews in John city may years ago.Grady felt Buddy was not playing the game one is supposed to play.He pointed that to Buddy and Buddy told him that he did not have to move when he could make the ball.At the end Buddy beat Grady to win 1000.00$( this info is from the book written about Rifleman`s life.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif