PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall Junkies

L.S. Dennis
08-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Well I finally saw it on video last night. I will say that is a must see for any pool nut, but nowhere near compariible to 'The Hustler' or even 'The Color Of Money' for that matter. Nice little scene with Mike Massey in it!

Enjoy it!

Rod
08-27-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm a pool player but not a pool nut, there is a difference. Having said that, I'll watch it for free when it comes out on cable. That shouldn't be very long. From the moment I saw the trailer I knew it wasn't going to fly.

Rod

Ken
08-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Rod,

Back in June Scott Smith announced it would be playing on HBO. I've searched their site and found no mention of it but it might be worth checking occassionally. Of course, that's not for free but you might get it anyway or know someone who could tape it if it does indeed play on HBO.
KenCT

Icon of Sin
08-27-2003, 02:21 PM
I bought the DVD last night, loved it too, not as superior as color of money or hustler, but still a decent movie in its own right.

A friend of mine watched it with me, he'd not a pool nut and he liked it. I say rent it if your not a pool nut and check it out. Otherwise if you are a pool nut, go buy it, it was cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Iowashark
08-27-2003, 02:30 PM
My wife works for an entertainment distribution company(I've been watching the Pool Hall Junkies screening copy over and over for about 3 months now) And apparently Pool Hall Junkies made the top 5 for debuting day sales in August. I'm guessing this is in lieu to the fact that it wasn't well advertised when it came to the big screen and lots of theaters didn't carry it, making the video release anticipation greater. I personally love the movie other than the fact that Ricky Schroeder doesn't make a very believable Pro. They don't really ever show his shots, only his stroke. But I do recommend it to any pool enthusiast who hasn't seen it.

PQQLK9
08-27-2003, 03:11 PM
I just ordered mine from Amazon.com since the only local place that had it was Blockbuster and it was rental only. To qualify for free shipping I also ordered
Pleasures of Small Motions by Dr. Robert Fancher (an ex CCB'er).

L.S. Dennis
08-27-2003, 08:14 PM
All be assured, when I used the term "pool nut" it was meant in an affectionate way! No offense intended by that term, enjoy the film it's worth watching. One last note, they should have had 'The Keither' play the part of the pool pro, he would have been more believable and he's already had experience in films.

Voodoo Daddy
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Rod...lemme save you an hour and twenty minutes, I just watched it via DVD. Just imagine the movie "Rounders" about pool. Christopher Walken was as usual awesome, Chaz Palmentari was marginal at best and Rickie Schroder is still Ricky Schroder.

Voodoo~~~gives it a thumbs down and thinks that movie set pool back 15 years.

Rod
08-27-2003, 09:35 PM
LS,

No offense taken. When I think of a pool nut it is someone who has to have all of the latest equipment, books, tapes and toys. No problem there either. Some are just a little nuttier than others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Rod
08-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Well if it just happens to come on and I'm sitting there, I'll watch. I gotta know. It reminds me of Josey Wales when the bounty hunter went out and come back in, "I had to come back". LOL When I watch I'll remember Voodoo saying I told you so. ha ha ha

~~ rod, going to shoot myself in the foot

magicman
08-27-2003, 10:04 PM
You may be right, but i think any pool movie is better than no pool movie.

bolo
08-27-2003, 10:14 PM
I have not seen it. If you can watch objectivly, would you say the average person who knows nothing about pool would enjoy it?

L.S. Dennis
08-27-2003, 10:26 PM
That's a good question. Probably if the average person had not already seen The Color Of Money and The Hustler I would then I might say yes to that. Hard to tell though, just have to see it yourself and decide for yourself. I think the most believable part was played by Rod Steiger.

Jimmy B
08-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Maybe my hopes were set to high, but IMO the movie stunk. They really dropped the ball, there were so many chances to make it a real pool movie that they just failed on. I mean who carries a cue around in a guitar case? What pool player doesn't know that taking all your balls off the table in 8-ball is a suckers bet? The scenes in the dinner and at the end could have easily been in a pool hall and been pool stories, anyone who has spent any time in a pool room has any number of funny stories that would have fit right in. I really wanted it to be great and I just left sad. How they ever got this cast with this script is beyond me, I think someone had nude pictures of Walken's wife. JB

9 Ball Girl
08-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Whether some thought the movie sucked or rocked, it's another pool movie that I'll be adding to my pool movie collection.

Wendy~~~just loved those "poolhall junkie shots"! right Eric? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Iowashark
08-28-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I mean who carries a cue around in a guitar case? <hr /></blockquote>
I actually thought the case was pretty cool, but I'm a musician and I think they should make guitar cases to carry everything with.

9 Ball Girl
08-28-2003, 08:24 AM
The cue in the guitar case, IMO, was just to make it look more hustle-ish if you know what I mean. Matter of fact, I ran across an ad for PHJ on DVD and one of the critiques was "it'll make you want to quit your job and become a hustler, a gambler..."--something like that. LOL

cycopath
08-28-2003, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> I bought the DVD last night<hr /></blockquote>
Does the DVD have any added extras, like deleted scenes or stuff like that?

ChrisW
08-28-2003, 08:59 AM
No the DVD doesn't have any extras unless you mean "commentary and the Trailer"

Chris....any pool movie is a good movie.

cycopath
08-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Commentary can be cool.

Eric.
08-28-2003, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Wendy~~~just loved those "poolhall junkie shots"! right Eric? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Explaination:

After the movie, a few of us stopped in Broadway Billiards to hit a few. We decided then that any shot that was slopped into the unintended pocket will be now known as a "Poolhall Junkie" or PHJ for short. For example, why cut the 9 into the corner pocket when you can hit it harder, miss the pocket and two rail it into the opposite corner pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric &gt;PHJ!

Nightstalker
08-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Good call there, those who make those shots lack some degree of *touch*. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

L.S. Dennis
08-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Interesting references to 'Bucktooth' in the beginning of the film, anybody catch that?

cycopath
08-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I made notice of that. Name dropping on a grand scale. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

supercueman
08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
I thought the movie was great. I wish there were more pro's in the movie... Did you see Boston Shorty... ????

Supercueman

L.S. Dennis
08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
I remember Boston Shorty being introduced by Mike Massey in the movie, but I'm not sure that was the real Boston Shorty who may have already died before the film was made.

Nightstalker
08-29-2003, 10:15 AM
I don't know what I am waiting for, I think I need to just go buy the DVD. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BillPorter
08-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Names were used in the movie and attributed to characters but in actuality had passed away long ago. "Jersey Red" (George Brit), St. Louie Louie (Louie Roberts),and "Boston Shorty" have all passed away. It was nice to have them remembered, however, since they were famous players.

Rod
08-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Yesterday I saw someone was selling a Joss cue on Ebay. They claimed it belonged to Louie. I don't remember what cue he played with now, but I'm pretty sure it was probably a few.

Bill, you mean Jack Breit, the first time I saw him play he looked like a kid in a candy store!

Rod

Steve Lipsky
08-29-2003, 05:56 PM
OK. Just watched it.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

That was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. They managed to take a decent story and turn it into the most laughably bad disaster since, um, gee, Ishtar? That is a train wreck on film.

For a guy who claims to have been a "pool hustler", Mars Callahan shows a dramatic lack of understanding about the pool culture. I thought you guys were kidding about the guitar case... I really did. Then there was Rick Schroeder's stance. Oh my God. Did Mike Massey really need a payday this bad, to lend his good name to a movie that talks about a professional pool "league", played in warehouses with suits?

I've never seen so much banking.

Holy crap,
Steve &lt;--- will never stop laughing at that last scene

Rod
08-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey Steve, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

~~rod, suspected as much

L.S. Dennis
08-29-2003, 07:56 PM
LOL, so why don't you tell me what you really thought of it!
Actually I share most all of your sentiments regarding the thing.

Barbara
08-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Steve,

I just ordered it from Amazon. I know, I know, but I gotta see it. You know, it's like a train wreck... Besides, the real test will be how Pete rates it.

Barbara~~~also ordered Wind, Twister, Blazing Saddles, and Animal House - the Double Secret Probation Widescreen Edition /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
08-30-2003, 09:21 AM
I came across this review
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7410

L.S. Dennis
08-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Sounds like Steve could have written this review. It pretty much says it all.

Steve Lipsky
08-30-2003, 11:59 PM
LS, that was like a 4-star review compared to what I'd give it!

Aside from the cinematic deficiences (which the review does take into account), the pool really needs to be seen to be believed. Have you seen it yet, LS? In the final scene (and I won't spoil the surprise, because everyone deserves a chance to laugh as hard as I did), the hero actually asks the counterman for shot advice in the hill-hill game for $100,000(!). The counterman then "spots" a hanging safety, and the hero - a pro-level player - exclaims, "Oh, wow!"

One is forced to wonder what the target market of this film was. It can't be pool players; they won't get past the absurdity of the pool scenes, with "top players" who look constipated while trying to shoot with their $40 all-black cues that they carry around in guitar cases when they are not banking balls.

Mars Callahan, if you are reading this, let's play some. I will put up whatever you want, against you giving me back the 90 minutes of my life you've pissed away.

- Steve &lt;-- feeling better now...

L.S. Dennis
08-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Steve,

Well as "Tugboat Whaley" would have said: "Yep, that ought to get it!"

cuechick
09-01-2003, 08:32 AM
I agree completley Steve, a major load of crap...IMO thew ONLY way you could enjoy this stuff, is if you never set foot in a pool hall before. It made me crindge, the scene in the end where he stops mid game to take a 'time out' and get a coach!! WTF!!!
The director also blantatly rips off Reservoir Dogs, Diner and of course The Color of Money and The Hustler! Why didn't they just use a zerox machine to make this thing?
They also have to make every pool shooting scene a trick shot parade...I tried to set aside my pre-conceived ideas...but there is no denying it , from the first scene it is just BAD.
Hey where does one sign up for this professional pool LEAGUE anyway?
OH and 100,000.00 prize for the US Open...WHATEVER....

cuechick
09-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah, and not a female player in sight! Typical male, ego, masochist propaganda! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Yeah, the lack of a female player sucked. Although, almost, almost, you had the one female holding the cue for that Russian guy I think that Mike Massey was about to gamble with in a Scotch doubles fashion? Can't really remember but I do remember wishing that they should've extended that scene!

snook
09-01-2003, 02:21 PM
i liked it, and for the same reason i liked mel gibson's the patriot, because it wasnt MEANT to be real life. it was meant to be a movie. the patriot was nothing like the actual war, but it was good. well, phj was nothing like a real ph, but i liked the movie, and i loved mars callahan, he practicaly stole every seen he was in. just my 02

Sid_Vicious
09-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey I ain't anti-girl player, but I've got to say that as many times as I've gone to the PH, shut it down, traveled around to other PHs,,,the density of women "players" around as much as the guys is slim to none! So, why should Hollywood consider accenting something that doesn't represent the true norm in our rooms by forcing femininity into the show????sid~~~really believes though that it would sell well if they did do that, but that's not exactly where pool culture is(YET)

Rod
09-01-2003, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It made me crindge, the scene in the end where he stops mid game to take a 'time out' and get a coach!! WTF!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Hey CC, that's typical APA. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
09-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Don't blame me for other males short comings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif But since this was an APA gambling movie, maybe your right, there should have been an APA league gal there. Is that what you meant? Maybe she could have played captain so she could have been the coach. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I mean why not since this movie didn't make any sense anyway. Based just on what I've heard so far.

Rod

9 Ball Girl
09-01-2003, 07:42 PM
I see your point. But the poolhalls around here in NY, there are plenty of female players. Oh well...Hey, maybe when they make a reality pool movie/show, they'll focus in on that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-01-2003, 08:39 PM
9BG...what I said last was the most important though. I truly believe that the pool movie thing will sell much better with a woman up there in the headlines, and justly so. Our sport is rich in talent from both sides, the public maybe misses out on where both sexes have come toward each other's game. After all, being truly a conservative thinker probably does not include their daughters in the pool rooms. I never thought I was an actual liberal until this political situation, but now I do have to do just exactly that. We in this country will now have some very scary changes to incurr...movie/gender issues ain't getting better with the admin now or next term. "We done all of us been changed y'all!" like it or not.

NY and Dallas is probably like two different worlds...you'z guys have all the gals up there...sid

AndyG
09-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Rod, The cue I remember Louie playimg with most was a Meucci. Bob Meucci has some absolutely great 'Louie stories'. I'm pretty sure he was Louie's cue sponsor for many years.
AndyG

Perk
09-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Poolhall junkies was a cross between Clerks/Mallrats/Color of Money. Take it for what it was worth. If you wanted a premier pool movie to storm the world, then it definately fell short. If you wanted a movie filled with goofs, young kids, related to pool, then it was alright.

Definately not gonna bring pool to the front headlines for ESPN etc, but it will take a place on my movie rack.

Candyman
09-03-2003, 09:27 AM
I couldn't agree more. Steve, as they say in gymnastics, you just stuck it for a perfect "10". I was just about to order me a copy from Amazon, when I ran across a copy at the video store. The $2.50 rental was a lot easier to take than $20.00.

9 Ball Girl
09-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Steve, now you know why Eric, Naz, TomBrooklyn, and I christened those shots that somehow find a pocket after going 10 rails the "poolhall junkie shot" or the "phj shot" for short! The four of us went to Broadway Billiards to shoot some after we saw the preview and when one of us made one of the above mentioned shots, we were like, "well, there's another phj shot!" Oh yeah, after we saw the preview, the next day I had started the thread "We Came, We Saw, and We Laughed!".

The last scene was a hoot! Bahahahahaha! I especially liked it when Mars' hand healed up and he wanted to start warming up. What better way to warm up than with bank shots? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, there was another scene where if you look closely they changed brands of balls. I think it's towards the end when Rick Schroeder is about to shoot the 9 ball and it went from Aramith to Centennial or vice versa.

I know I know, I can disect it a whole lot more. But, I still have to add it to my DVD collection.

Wendy~~~will be making a whole lot of PHJ shots in VA! Fo shizzel my nizzel! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Whats up with the 2 different covers. The amazon site shows one cover, and the cd universe has a different cover. Are they all the same version of the movie (one widescreen, etc)?

eg8r

rackmup
09-03-2003, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Whats up with the 2 different covers. The amazon site shows one cover, and the cd universe has a different cover. Are they all the same version of the movie (one widescreen, etc)?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Ed,

How are you young man?

To answer your question, as I have both, one is really bad and the other, well...it just seems worse the second time after spending an additional $19.99 to see what the difference is and discovering they are equally terrible.

Regards,

Ken (kiss on the cheek to Mrs. Eg8r)

eg8r
09-03-2003, 04:07 PM
LOL, are you being serious about buying both or just funnin. I am doing fine. Getting used to the new job and going to training next week. I am headed to the great state of Georgia. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Buckhead area.

Mrs. Eg8r just smiled when I told her of the kiss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
09-03-2003, 04:17 PM
I was just teasing. They have it at WalMart for $19.99. I think I'll rent it first.

If I don't like it, then I'll go buy it. That way I can dislike it for a valid reason.

Tell everyone in Georgia I said "hi."

Regards,

Ken