PDA

View Full Version : Jump cues? How to rate them?

Iowashark
08-27-2003, 01:52 PM
I regularly jump with a 'magic jump' cue, but going by a friends advice I bought a 'bungee'. He told me he could get better english and better c/b control with the bungee because of the slightly softer tip. Well he was right, I can get more spin on the c/b with the bungee, but often it cause it to juke when it lands. Also with the softer tip, I can't get as much elevation when I need it.
Any suggestions? Or maybe preferences on jump cues?

PQQLK9
08-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Post deleted by PQQLK9

Scott Lee
08-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Hands down, the best jump cue on the market, is the Stealth AT-1 "Air Jumper". The 3-pc construction accompanied by the ultra light weight, makes it easier to jump full balls than any of the competitors I have seen and used. There are many posters here who have purchased this jump cue and learned how to jump balls extremely well. This is the jump cue I use to teach my students how to jump. I also teach them how to jump with their playing cue, as well.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
08-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Yea me too, the Lucasi is a real hopster! I also have a Stealth JC, I had to finally get a duplicate of the tip that Lucasi uses on their cue($20 tip from Lucasi themselves) to get the Stealth to clear balls near as well as the Lucasi does, but the Stealth DID respond after the tip replacement. I'm more accurate with the Lucasi down-table by far, but the Stealth jumps a little closer to obstructing balls, say around 1 ball width, just ain't accurate(imo.) The Lucasi's range begins around 1.5 balls width.

I know many people seems to feel the Stealth is supreme, and maybe there's something totally different I needed to do with the thing to make it jump with the stock tip...bottom line was "It just didn't work near as well as the cheaper Lucasi." sid

BTW, I have hit jumps with two Bungee jumpers also. It works really well, I put it right behind my Lucasi in ranking. sv

JohnBarton
08-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Rating jump cues is getting tougher becuase everyone has different criteria. In head to head competition the Bunjee has beaten the Lucasi, the Airtime(Stealth), the Happy Hopper and tied with Mike Guylassey's Sledgehammer.

But what does "beaten" mean? It means that the Bunjee was able to easily perform any shot presented with less effort or with equal performance.

Most jump cues these days perform well so it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Some people like the balance of the Bunjee while others prefer the Lucasi. Others like the feel of the Airtime. Today's jump cues give you no excuse to not be able to jump other than your own skill level. With practice just about every jump cue will work for most shots.

I would rate a jump cue thusly; if I can jump fairly easily with a medium stroke where the object ball is about three balls from the blocking ball I consider it to be a good jump cue. Closer than that is more technique rather than the cue construction.

Melissa Morris, the daughter of Airtime maker Ned Morris, can consistently jump less than a chalk's width with either a Bunjee or an Airtime and I imagine any good jump cue. It helps that she has been practicing jumping for years.

So , the answer is - - - - get any good jump cue and PRACTICE.

John

magicman
08-27-2003, 10:13 PM
ive used the stealth for a couple years and it jumps just fine, no complaints.

Sid_Vicious
08-28-2003, 07:08 AM
"can consistently jump less than a chalk's width"

I started to get nervy with that statement until I setup a shot at a chalk's distance...there is room to work with that shot. I too would need either the Bungee or the Stealth to gain consistency for that hop, the Lucasi is a little too heavy to get that kind of immediate air.

I do compliment her if she can consistently jump an entire ball under a chalk's width. Even if you make that jump though, there's no control over what happens after the CB lands. It'll be all over the place and almost useless for more than show and tell...sid

eg8r
08-28-2003, 07:31 AM
Why on earth is she practicing a jump shot that close? I do commend her though, seems pretty close.

Sid, I wish we would have had one more chance to play together, I never did get a chance to try your jump cues. I really only know my Bunjee and have not spent much time with other jumpers.

As far as the 3 piece that Scott is talking about, my Bunjee has had that additional section (to lengthen the Bunjee a little bit) for a couple years. John sent it to my wife for me to try out when I bought my first bunjee a couple years ago. I use it almost every time I pull the bunjee out (not often, I don't like jumping).

eg8r

Fred Agnir
08-28-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> Rating jump cues is getting tougher becuase everyone has different criteria. In head to head competition the Bunjee has beaten the Lucasi, the Airtime(Stealth), the Happy Hopper and tied with Mike Guylassey's Sledgehammer.

But what does "beaten" mean? It means that the Bunjee was able to easily perform any shot presented with less effort or with equal performance.<hr /></blockquote>
Who was doing the shooting?

Maybe because my Bunjee is of the original design, but I can actually shoot with Stealth. I can't do much but jump with the Bunjee.

Fred &lt;~~~ would recommend either

RedHell
08-28-2003, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr>
But what does "beaten" mean? It means that the Bunjee was able to easily perform any shot presented with less effort or with equal performance.
John <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm, with less effort or with equal performance ?!? How was the effort quantify ? How was the performance mesured ?

Were all the shots made by the same shooter ? Was he trying to make all the shots exactly the same way ?

I don't think you can setup any of the test you mentionned unless you set it up with a machine which will always perform the same stroke with the different cues.

You might get more luck by saying that out of a group of players a certain percentage prefered the Bunjee, because that's all it comes down to, preferences.

Or skill, like you mentionned, practice, pratice, practice...

Sid_Vicious
08-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Yea it's unfair to judge individual cues long distance. I've tried two of the Bungee cues in particular, one had the tip down paper thin, and it jumped very good. The other was easy also, maybe not as well as the other with the thinned tip, but certainly a nice jumper. As far as that third piece, I've only found a use for it when I am jumping half table jumps, and I almost always use my long stick instead of looking geeky and assembling the third member to the Stealth. Long cues are very accurate over distance.

Spiderman and I are coming to Orlando sometime in the semi-near future, and I'll surely have my JC then. We'll hook up Ed. How are you liking Florida???sid

eg8r
08-28-2003, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spiderman and I are coming to Orlando sometime in the semi-near future, and I'll surely have my JC then. We'll hook up Ed. How are you liking Florida???sid <hr /></blockquote> That is great. Yes, we will get together. Spiderman has a friend that lives in the area. Definitely let me know. During my lesson Scott Lee pulled out his jumper but I never even used it. I just showed him I could jump with mine (I forgot to remove the butt section, so I jumped with the cue in the break cue configuration).

When I had my jump cue (not the B/J cue) I always left the attachment connected and put it in my bag. I hardly ever jump and when I do, it is generally an instance in which the attachment would make sense to use.

eg8r

ceebee
08-28-2003, 01:31 PM
I purchased my beautiful Jump Cue from Auerbach Custom Cues in Tulsa OK. It looks like a small Cue. Both ends of the Cue are the same length. The weight is about 9 oz. &amp; the length is 44-45 inches. The tip is flexible phenolic &amp; the ferrule is a 1/2" long Atlas Fiber ferrule. They come in different grades from a Sneaky Pete Jump Cue to a Linen Wrapped, 4 point Ivory laden Jump Cue.

I can get over a ball within a ball's diameter with my eyes closed. The length of the Cue aids in aiming, the weight of the Cue &amp; the phenolic Tip helps with the GREAT Jumping characteristics.

The ability to jump a cue ball nullifies most of my opponents SAFETY Arsenal. If I don't make the object ball I'm shooting at, hitting the object ball will eliminate that nasty BALL IN HAND scenario.

One other thing... jump shots don't always have to be straight at the object ball, you can use the rails to get a ball that's hid real well....??? A Jump Masse is pretty nasty Ball Hunter too... cb

Ralph S.
08-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Sid, I find that a little unusual that you had trouble jumping with the Stealth until after the tip change. I seem to have no problems at all. As far as what is the best JC availabe it is the Stealth IMO. I will say this: Stay away from the Robin Dodson line of jump rods. They are horrendous and terribly cheaply constructed. The name of her line of jump cues is the "frog" and "tadpole" jump cues.

Billy
08-28-2003, 05:18 PM
making the game easier,basically eliminating kicking,these cues are bad news for the sport in the long run

they need to ban this type of equipment yesterday

I'm on the 50 yard line as far as using your standard length cue for jumping but indeed there are some tours today that do not allow the short cue and rightfully so imo

Snyder1
08-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Hey Sid ... I've done some research on the Lucasi jump cue (L-2000SP). Its very reasonably priced at around $60; however, its 41" long, and appears to be ONE PIECE ?!?!? I've never seen a cue case that it would fit in ... how do you carry it around ? Thx

JS

Keith Talent
08-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Snyder, I got that Lucasi a few weeks ago for $50 new on eBay. Don't sweat ... 2 pieces and the butt will fit in the long pouch in your bag, probably. Seems to jump OK, but I'm no authority ... they (I mean all jumpers) seem pretty useless to me except on hangers. I think you get better ball control kicking, but sometimes there's no other way out of jail, so I'm a reluctant learner.

I'll gladly turn mine in at the local precinct on weapons collection day if the BCA would ban the nasty things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Keith gave you the correct answer. I will add though that this cue, with practice of maybe an hour, will have you making balls and even playing shape. The secret is in letting the weight of the cue make the jump, little effort in your stroke. Main thing is focusing on the exact aim point on the vertical axis on both the CB and OB when aiming. Anyway, I've sucked at kicking in all of my years of pool, and since BCA gives BIH fouls, I'm saved with the jumper. Keeping from losing the table by BIH is a godsend for me, cuz I'm gonn hit the OB 90% of the time with the jumper. I understand that over in Arlington those guys are very proficient at hitting their shots, making balls and getting out. I really doubt that the BCA will outlaw them, it adds too much fun to the sport, and levels the playing field so the people like I can have keep playing through a run longer. Fun is the factor we need in billiards, why cut something out that is fun?

Learn the dart stroke. Anything 2+ balls width can be easily jumped, less is makeable with practice...sid

Snyder1
08-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks !! What you said is what I'm afraid of ... as for me, jumping seems so tough to learn (at least with a standard sized cue) ... maybe the short light dedicated jump cue will make it easier - we'll see.

Follow up question for the jump guys - is the short dedicated jump cue worth the investment, or is a matter of developing the technique &amp; should I just practice until I can do it with a standard cue (I can't even get the ball off the table with any consistency with a 19 ounce cue)... thx

John

John

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2003, 08:12 AM
"Stay away from the Robin Dodson line of jump rods. They are horrendous and terribly cheaply constructed."

I had one of each of these in my time, sent one back and sold the other one for $25 to a friend.

The Stealth(factory) and I just was not a match, ergonomics maybe. It works easily with the extension and the pendelum stroke with 3+ balls width, but anything shorter had to be accomplished by me only after the Lucasi tip went on, and with the dart stroke. Too many other players swear by them for me to say that the Stealth simply is worse in general, but that was definetely mt personal experience. I almost sole another cue for twenty-five, seriously....sid

Sid_Vicious
08-29-2003, 08:21 AM
"is the short dedicated jump cue worth the investment, or is a matter of developing the technique &amp; should I just practice until I can do it with a standard cue"

Why make it harder than it has to be? I have only one or two long sticks I am confident with in jumping, one in particular. My Lucasi saves my butt most every time. I'd spend the $50 in a minute, as a couple of my friends did after trying mine. Fifty might save you a 100 in a set winning jump in only one trip out of the case. Besides it's cool to see the grimmace on a lockup artist's face when you blow his sloppily played safe. Make'm lock down better ;-)

Have fun! sid

Snyder1
08-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Besides it's cool to see the grimmace on a lockup artist's face when you blow his sloppily played safe.

I like your way of thinking !! You've sold me ... I'm gonna give a dedicated jumper a shot...

John

JohnBarton
08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> Rating jump cues is getting tougher becuase everyone has different criteria. In head to head competition the Bunjee has beaten the Lucasi, the Airtime(Stealth), the Happy Hopper and tied with Mike Guylassey's Sledgehammer.

But what does "beaten" mean? It means that the Bunjee was able to easily perform any shot presented with less effort or with equal performance.<hr /></blockquote>
Who was doing the shooting?

(Different people at different times - almost always accopmplished shooters. In the case of the Bunjee/Sledgehammer contest it was John Barton and Mike Gulayassey)

Maybe because my Bunjee is of the original design, but I can actually shoot with Stealth. I can't do much but jump with the Bunjee.

(I have personally run three racks of nine ball and two eight and outs in one pocket with the Bunjee Jumper. Additionally I won $160 at ten a game shooting with the Bunjee Jump Breaker. It is a mental thing because the tip sounds like crap. Bob Meucci and I were doing masse' shots around seven balls on a bar table with the Bunjee two years ago at the BCA nationals. The funny thing was that Bob took the cue over to his machine and tested it for deflection and it scored better (was more consistent according to Bob's methods) than several well known brands of "normal" cues.)

John - I would also reccomend either one but still lean toward the Bunjee since I get a piece of each one sold :-))

bolo
08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
"they (I mean all jumpers) seem pretty useless to me except on hangers. I think you get better ball control kicking"

I would have to really disagree with you on that. I could set up endless shots I can not only hit, but make and even play position with a jump. I doubt you can kick in one in twenty, if that unless the ball is, as you say hanging. I think I could play anyone in the world a rack of straight pool, first to call and make eight balls, if I I had to jump on every shot to score and they had to kick. I am not kidding, get Archer and I will play him like that. There is a very big difference between jumping and kicking in my opinion.

Iowashark
08-29-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> Follow up question for the jump guys - is the short dedicated jump cue worth the investment, or is a matter of developing the technique &amp; should I just practice until I can do it with a standard cue
John <hr /></blockquote>

I've found that if I need to jump half a ball that's around 4-6 inches away I'll just use my standard cue. But it also depends on the tip that you're using. I was shooting with a friend's viking that was tipped with an elk master soft tip, and when I tried the small jump I was only able to skid the cue ball, after trying over and over I still couldn't do it. But I have a black dot equipped with a triangle tip that will perform these jumps with ease, even full ball jumps. I still would not trade in my jumper for anything(except maybe a different jumper). These come in very handy for tight situations that a normal cue would never get over. Plus it might look silly dart stroking a standard cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bolo
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
No matter how good you get with a standard cue, it will not even be close to the number of different shots you can make with a jump cue. Since it is a part of the game, it would be as silly as never using the bridge if you needed it. Why in the world would you not want every edge, especially since the guy you are playing probably will have one. Although you see it discussed on here all the time, it is not even debatable. I will also like to add, that if someone can't learn to use a jump cue, (It is very easy), there is certainly no chance they could learn to jump with a standard cue to any degree. So when I read where someone says, "I have a jump cue and can't learn how to use, I think I will just stick to jumping with my playing cue" is ridiculous.

Keith Talent
08-29-2003, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Quote
I doubt you can kick in one in twenty, if that, unless the ball is, as you say hanging. ... There is a very big difference between jumping and kicking in my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

No argument, there, Bolo, as far as sinking balls. What I was trying to say is that it seems like a riskier play to go after anything but a hanger by jumping ... often it's a low percentage shot with a good chance of a sellout. So, I think you might have a better chance by kicking and playing safe. Depends on a player's relative skills, too, I guess.

Just an example from a couple of tournament matches I played last week. ... In the first, against an A+ rated player, there was zero jumping. In the second, a B player pulled out his jumper at least 3 times in 9 games ... he made the hits, but missed the shots and left me open each time. If only I had run out, there could have been a third match ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ralph S.
08-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Keith Talent, I beg to differ on the hanging ball scenario. Many better players that use jump rods are quite proficient with them. A very good example is this shot a friend of mine made in an eight ball tourney. He was shooting the 8.

Ralph S.
08-29-2003, 04:35 PM
I am sorry. My brain aint working right now. I forgot how to put the damned shot up on the wei table. Sorry.

Keith Talent
08-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Ralph, I'll take your word for it. Can't get wei table on my work computer, anyway.

Hey, I don't want to be a Luddite. Just haven't seen people have a high degree of success with jumping.

But I remember back in the 70s in tennis, when Borg and the other extreme topspinners first came along, that teachers would say those guys were freaks and that the technique could never work for most people. Now everybody plays that way ... so I suppose we'll see more better jumping as time goes by. And I'm trailing the pack, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Brent
08-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi. Im planning to buy a jump cue myself, but I also need a breaker so I decided to byt a 2 in one cue. What do u people think about them ? Right now i use housecues for jumping and Im doing pretty well. Id now like to know ur opinion and experience with jump/breakers. Thnx

Rod
08-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Brent,

With my limited experience using a jump/break cue, I'd say they break ok but they don't jump all that well. I'm sure buying separate is the way to go. If you must buy a combination, maybe someone can tell you what currently is best.

What's shakin in Estonia these days? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

rackmup
08-29-2003, 06:36 PM
What tours ban them? I only know of the Joss tour prohibiting their use.

As for banning them entirely from the game, the same logic could be applied to other stuff that have made life "easier.":
<ul type="square"> Aluminum baseball bats.
Cavity back and square grooved golf clubs.
Oversized woods.
Fiberglass tent poles.
Propane grills.
Electric toothbrushes.
Deodorant soap.
Dental floss.
Toilet paper.
Indoor plumbing.
Electricity.
Running water.
Allowing women to work instead of demanded they stay home, barefoot and pregnant.
Fire.
Etc.
[/list]
Regards,

Ken (progress is good)

Keith Talent
08-29-2003, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> <ul type="square"> Aluminum baseball bats.
Propane grills.
Electric toothbrushes.
Deodorant soap.
Indoor plumbing.

[/list]
<hr /></blockquote>

Progress is overrated.

Gotta lose all of these, Ken.

Aluminum bats make a worse sound than a jump cue and have turned the college game into a joke ... propane grills are for people who don't know when to pull the lighter fluid bottle back as the flame climbs the stream ... electric toothbrushes, only if you've got carpal tunnel ... soap that stops up yore pores can't be good for ya ... and indoor plumbing? Come on, don't we all -- especially you Texans -- miss the good ol days of the communal corn cob? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
08-30-2003, 06:23 AM
Condoms

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Good, make one of the fifty dollar deals and don't look back. Practice with the jump cue, if nothing else just kill time pouncing on balls at random to get the feel for how easy it is. Also, don't do like me and try to stand tip-toe for added elevation. Flexing your knees, with this cue, actually works. Hop-hop-hop until you find the easy features of the JC. Hop air if nothing else. Feel free to PM me...sid

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2003, 10:22 AM
"In the second, a B player pulled out his jumper at least 3 times in 9 games ... he made the hits, but missed the shots and left me open each time."

Keith...If my kicking skills are between hitting the OB and missing the OB, then would it not make more of a percentage in my favor to hit the jump KNOWING I am gonna at least make a good hit, regardless of leaving an open table or selling out? I wish I could learn to kick, but I'm just too old to learn I guess. "Making a ball on kicks?" Happens, but not as often as BIH fouls seems to. I envy you kick artists, I play against one of the finest kickers, REALLY! My only weapon at this stage in life is the JC, unless a real 3-C billiard room moves to Dallas. GREAT game!...sid

preacherman
08-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Scott,
Do you know what the minimum length of a jump is?

Thanks,
Jim
www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

Billy
08-30-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> What tours ban them? I only know of the Joss tour prohibiting their use.

As for banning them entirely from the game, the same logic could be applied to other stuff that have made life "easier.":
<ul type="square"> Aluminum baseball bats.
Cavity back and square grooved golf clubs.
Oversized woods.
Fiberglass tent poles.
Propane grills.
Electric toothbrushes.
Deodorant soap.
Dental floss.
Toilet paper.
Indoor plumbing.
Electricity.
Running water.
Allowing women to work instead of demanded they stay home, barefoot and pregnant.
Fire.
Etc.
[/list]
Regards,

Ken (progress is good) <hr /></blockquote>

yes progress is good Ken but not when one makes a sport as skillful as pool any less skillfull

some tidbits from this thread alone:

** I can get over a ball within a ball's diameter with my eyes closed ... the ability to jump a cue ball nullifies most of my opponents SAFETY Arsenal. If I don't make the object ball I'm shooting at, hitting the object ball will eliminate that nasty BALL IN HAND scenario

** Keeping from losing the table by BIH is a godsend for me, cuz I'm gonn hit the OB 90% of the time with the jumper ... and [the jump cue] levels the playing field so the people like I can have keep playing through a run longer

** jumping seems so tough to learn (at least with a standard sized cue) ... maybe the short light dedicated jump cue will make it easier ... I can't even get the ball off the table with any consistency with a 19 ounce cue...

** Why make it harder than it has to be? I have only one or two long sticks I am confident with in jumping, one in particular. My Lucasi saves my butt most every time.Besides it's cool to see the grimmace on a lockup artist's face when you blow his sloppily played safe.

and on the following particular post,how would you like to be the poolroom owner(just had your tables newly recovered!) and a large number of customers come in and start scarring your tables and/or possibly tearing the cloth or worse having the ball leave the table and accidently hit someone in the head

** Practice with the jump cue, if nothing else just kill time pouncing on balls at random to get the feel for how easy it is

but as far as your original question Ken I can't think of an exception at this moment but (most) professional open tournaments have banned them from use in the last ten or fifteen years as well

in general non-players want these cues in existence not the real deal

imo

Ralph S.
08-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Hey Keith, go with a regular jump cue. I personally have found that the jump portion of the jump/break cues dont quite have the same jumpability. It could be me but I prefer the regular jump cue.

rackmup
08-30-2003, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Practice with the jump cue, if nothing else just kill time pouncing on balls at random to get the feel for how easy it is.<hr /></blockquote>

In another post to this thread, someone uses Martin's suggestion as a point to infer damage is caused to tables by practicing jump shots.

I have never seen any damage caused to a table (torn cloth, etc.) because of a JC's use.

Sure...it might leave a spot on the cloth but that spot is no different than those caused by practicing hard breaks or the spots left by players pounding the CB into the rack in an effort to keep the balls tight.

If you really want to practice just the jump shot, ask the PH owner if they have an extra piece of billiard cloth (4"X4") and use that to protect the table. If he doesn't have a piece, any place that sells tables will have a scrap.

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Brent...Jerry Powers(Jerico Cues) makes the best BJ cue I've tried without doubt. In either mode, that cue is superb. I know Jerry but am not favoring him on purpose here. It is simply a phenominal break jump combination, it really is. I have always been in the camp for having a dedicated break cue and/or a dedicated JC, until this find...sid

eg8r
08-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Bunjee J/B is the way to go. As a break cue, they do fine. As a jump cue they act exactly the same way as the bunjee jump cue (not the B/J cue).

Great little cue for cheap.

eg8r

Terry
08-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi Brent, I had bought a Break\Jump cue at first but ended up buying a jump cue afterwards. I found that I didn't really like a tip that was rock hard on my break cue because I like to feel the hit even on the break shot. The jump cue seems to work better with a hard tip, also the jump cue is more comfortable when you have a jump shot where your hand needs to be near the end of the cue where as the jump\break cue is a little sharper near the end because it is only a joint at the end. My jump cue also seems to be a little better balanced then the break\jump combo. I think the jump cue adds to your game but kicking ability is a must. Good Luck, Terry

JohnBarton
08-31-2003, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> in general non-players want these cues in existence not the real deal

imo <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know about that. Mika Immonen told me that having a jump cue (in this case an ebony Bunjee) is like getting a game on the wire. Fong Pang Chao won $50,000 using a Bunjee at the Challenge of Champions. Archer uses his Scorpion jumper quite a bit. Charlie Williams uses his Bunjee a lot, Shawn Putnam might be the best jumper on the planet using his Bunjee. In fact most of the pros I know own and use jump cues regularly with the idea that it is a tool to allow them more choices in their game.

I would say that any "real deal" player who is serious about winning doesn't have anything against jump cues. No jump cue is going to win by itself - it still requires a driver.

John

Billy
08-31-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> in general non-players want these cues in existence not the real deal

imo <hr /></blockquote>

Mika Immonen told me that having a jump cue (in this case an ebony Bunjee) is like getting a game on the wire ... it is a tool to allow them more choices in their game.

No jump cue is going to win by itself - it still requires a driver.

John <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't mean to imply that there are some 'real deal' players that are not proficient at jumping with a short cue John

in the case that they have to make a choice between jumping over the ball or kicking,they'll take the jump almost always.why?,because they know that it's an easier shot to possibly get the desired result that they seek

heck,they don't want it used against them as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif hence the reasoning for many to ban the short cue

my point was and still is that it diminishes the skill level of a most highly skilled game and that,in the long run,would hurt the game more than help it imo

thanks for the reply,you were right on

bolo
08-31-2003, 03:42 PM
"my point was and still is that it diminishes the skill level of a most highly skilled game and that, in the long run, would hurt the game more than help it imo"

So in the same respect, you could say, any player that plays a cheap safety so they can get ball in hand instead of trying to run out, is no kind of real player either.
The jump cue somewhat neutralizes a lot of that kind of play. Until it goes back to a full push-out game, the jump cue and jump shot belongs. More games are won by less then great players through cheap safeties, Hoping for a ball in hand, then ever will be won with a jump shot.

Snyder1
08-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks Sid ... I ordered a Lucasi jumper - should have it next week. I've done alot of research &amp; reading on it and have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done to jump, now all thats left is practice once I get it. I appreciate your offer to PM you ... if I really have trouble, I might ... thanks.

John

rackmup
08-31-2003, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> in the case that they have to make a choice between jumping over the ball or kicking,they'll take the jump almost always.why?,because they know that it's an easier shot to possibly get the desired result that they seek<hr /></blockquote>

And if that "desired result" is actually pocketing a ball, the jump shot is a higher percentage shot than the kick.

With kick shots, your efforts to pot the ball are subject to good rails and deadly accuracy. With a jump shot, you still line up as you normally would and fire at the ball. It goes if you avoid any english on the cueball at impact.

If all you want to do is hit the object ball, choose either the jump or kick.

Regards,

Ken

Scott Lee
09-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Jim...The official minimum length for a jump cue is 40". As far as a jump shot...Ned Morris's daughter routinely jumps full balls that are less than 2 inches away from the CB.

Scott

Sid_Vicious
09-06-2003, 08:35 AM
"Thanks Sid ... I ordered a Lucasi jumper - should have it next week."

John...You havin' fun with the Lucasi jumper? I recently saw I needed practice with mine after a few bunts in competition, and a quick 30 minutes to an hour corrected my mistakes. Anyway, I've been curious how you were doing...sid

Keith Talent
09-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Sid,

Since you're on the subject of novice jumpers and the Lucasi ... I finally pulled mine out at a tournament for the first time last week. Made a couple of hits, though missed sinking what might have been, for somebody more experience with the airways, a simple shot on a game ball.

As it turned out, though, I needed to kick about half a dozen other times against this guy, who kept sticking me flush up against balls and quite often left so many others in the path that I'd have needed to be an Olympic triple-jump champ to hop there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He says, goodnaturedly, "I hate those things, would never touch one."

Sid_Vicious
09-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Keith...I'm finding out that with 3+ ball widths that I can really improve my dart stroke accuracy with lower angles on the cue. I was surprised that I can flex the knees and literally squat for flatter angles, sending whitie more in a direct flight to the OB. One would think that there's no way that enough air will be had to make the hops, but I'm hitting full ball jumps and making 1/4 to half table jumps rather accurately. If you do use the dart at all, try this out. I used to believe that I needed a lot of body height to pop jumps. Not with this cue. The pendulum stroke will most likely make this near impossible though, as the tip and shaft will be difficult to hold back from the follow thru foul. With the dart, you are hitting above the equator with maybe no more than 30 degrees. Works great for me on lengthy hits...sid

Keith Talent
09-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks Sid,

That's impressive. I may try to go longer distances ... have been using the dart stroke.

Genie
09-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Lots of talk about Lucassi and Bunjee, but how does everyone feel about the Frog?

Thanks!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fred Agnir
09-06-2003, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Genie:</font><hr> Lots of talk about Lucassi and Bunjee, but how does everyone feel about the Frog?

Thanks!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote> IMO, worst one out there. Terribly manufactured. Crappy wrap.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2003, 07:53 AM
You sure got that right Fred...sid

Genie
09-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys. I've actually had 1 for a couple of years (got it along with a quick lesson from Robin Dodson at Nationals in Vegas and it works ok but a friend let me hit with his Bunjee and I was able to execute much better than with my Frog. I'll replace it when I decide who to donate my Frog to.

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2003, 11:07 AM
When it comes to hitting the jump,,,,it pays to buy-up to a better performer. You are doing the right thing...sid

Ralph S.
09-07-2003, 04:47 PM
LOL Fred. That is exactly what I said either in this thread or a previous one. They are pure junk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralph S.
09-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Genie, let me help you out with the donation thing. I donated mine to the trash can. Yes, that is how I really think of their construction and performance. Reguardless if they come with a freebie lesson from Robin Dodson or not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Genie
09-07-2003, 05:05 PM
They can't be THAT bad??? I've executed decent shots with them. It's certainly better than trying to jump a ball with my playing cue. I'll test some others out and may treat myself to one with either my next bonus check or tournament winnings /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
09-07-2003, 05:33 PM
They are that bad. Just my NOT so humble opinion.

Snyder1
09-08-2003, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Thanks Sid ... I ordered a Lucasi jumper - should have it next week."

John...You havin' fun with the Lucasi jumper? I recently saw I needed practice with mine after a few bunts in competition, and a quick 30 minutes to an hour corrected my mistakes. Anyway, I've been curious how you were doing...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid ... you bet. Loving it ... makes jumping so easy I can hardly believe it (compared to a standard cue). Thanks for the advice...

John

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
It had to be a deal at 50 bucks. Have fun! sid

Qmaster
09-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Bungee jumpers are too sweet. I have a break/jump bungee and it has saved my skin many times. You cannot go wrong with them...

RedHell
09-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Talking about the B/J Bunjee...

Have you ever jump with a Bunjee Jumper before and how do you compare performance of the B/J for jumping to the original Bunjee ?

eg8r
09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever jump with a Bunjee Jumper before and how do you compare performance of the B/J for jumping to the original Bunjee ? <hr /></blockquote> I own both, the jump cue, and the break/jump cue. I do not see/feel/notice any difference whatsoever between the two when I am jumping. If you are looking to save money and need both (a jump cue and break cue), I recommend the Bunjee j/b.

eg8r