PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with this "wipe the cue" thing?

HiPockets
08-27-2003, 09:50 PM
I have noticed most if not all of the players in the U.S.Open matches on TV wipe their cues towards the tip from the middle of the shaft with their hands after chalking. What is the purpose of this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
08-27-2003, 10:17 PM
I haven't seen the matches but I'm not surprised. I do it myself everytime I chalk and have for years. It wipes any excess chalk off the very edge of the tip. I hate a little chalk edge/fuzz on the side.

Rod

HiPockets
08-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Thanks, I have been around pool for over 40 years and though I have noticed it before, it appears to me more prevalent among the better players.

Fred Agnir
08-28-2003, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HiPockets:</font><hr> I have noticed most if not all of the players in the U.S.Open matches on TV wipe their cues towards the tip from the middle of the shaft with their hands after chalking. What is the purpose of this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Purpose? I suppose if any chalk happens to get on the shaft from chalking, you'd wipe it off. Now, of course, all the great chalkers out there can tell you how to "properly chalk" to avoid this.

Like the other responders, I do this probably every time. Sometimes, I'll do it with both hands. First the right hand, then the left hand. It's really part of my pre-shot routine, if I have one.

Fred

UWPoolGod
08-28-2003, 08:32 AM
I think it also might be sort of a concentration/feel thing. Like a habit...ever see Nomar Garciaparra get ready for each pitch. A friend of mine has done this and gets em into concentration faster. Also I have seen some other players give the side of their cue a good rap with the palm of their bridge hand to get some vibrations on the end of their shaft...and then run their hand up towards the tip. Guess it makes them feel more with the cue.

RedHell
08-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Monkey see, monkey do...

Take an established player and make him do something consistently and many other players will wonder what it's for and start doing it.

I'm not saying it's useless, but I don't feel the need to do it. It never occured to me that chalk on the edge of my tip could make me miss a shot !

Many of these little things are copied over time. Like, tapping the table with a chalk or your hand to slow down the CB, taking 4 or 5 strokes in the air before addressing the shot, etc.

UWPoolGod
08-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Like, tapping the table with a chalk or your hand to slow down the CB, taking 4 or 5 strokes in the air before addressing the shot, etc. &lt;---RedHell

I have found that when I am in deadstroke, complete concentration and running around the table that I chalk every time and "kind of" slam the chalk down to the rail harder than normal. Creates a bang, then I swing the cue from out left to right and rights into shooting stance. Two-stroke and gone. Get in a pissed daze and I think slamming the chalk gets me there quicker.

But I had a friend start the wiping upward thing because a good player a regionals did it. I have what works for me, he feels he needs to emulate anything he sees.

Rod
08-28-2003, 10:11 AM
I've done it for many years. It started because the side of the tip was not finished well. You know like a little fuzz on the edge. That was more common years ago when there wasn't a local cue guy and lathe handy. That bugs the hell out of me so I started running my bridge hand up to clear the extra. If you play long enough with a tip and don't true up the sidewall, it's common. Most people don't notice and could care less, good for them. Anything out of the ordinary down the shaft gets my attention.

Rod