PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tournament Suggestions

Steve Lipsky
08-28-2003, 09:02 AM
Anybody notice how the pros have been flying around the country recently at a ridiculous rate? They were just in England, then the northeast, then flew to Vegas, then came back to the northeast this week. Then they go to their respective homes, fly to Virginia, go to their respective homes, and fly back to New York.

First, wouldn't it be nice if the tournaments could be scheduled in a more convenient way for the players? Between the money saved in airline tickets and a better overall sleep schedule, this should really be looked into. Our top players are not wealthy; it's not fair to them if they have to crack a thousand dollar nut for every tournament they play.

The other idea, along the same lines, is to have some sort of pro tournament travel agent. For every tournament, they would guarantee the agent something like 60 or 70 tickets. I'm sure they could qualify for a huge group discount on a deal like that.

They could even arrange (again, with the travel agent) spectator deals. Something like: fly in, stay at the host hotel, watch the whole tournament, and play two races with two top pros, all for $600. Part of this money would go towards the tournament payout.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud. Also, I realize there are a ton of logistical issues with scheduling tournaments, so I'm not faulting anyone. I just feel bad for the lower-tier pros, who play for the love of the game, but lose money on virtually every stop. It shouldn't be like that.

- Steve

Rich R.
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Then they go to their respective homes, fly to Virginia, go to their respective homes, and fly back to New York.<hr /></blockquote>
Sometimes I wonder if some of the players actually have a "respective home". It seems like some of them work their way around the country, or the world, playing in small regional tournaments and gambling along the way, to make ends meet and pay their expenses, until the next major tournament.

As for the rest of your post, Steve, I think you have some good ideas and they would certainly help many of the players. Organizing it all, may be a little difficult.

UWPoolGod
08-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Yeah that is why someone has to go up to Alex Rodriguez and ask him for 50 Million to put into a slush fund. With the interest from the fund we could pay small salaries and travel expenses to all of the tour players. Make getting on the tour as difficult as the PGA with qualifying schools...so many points for winning qualifiers and such. But you get fully rewarded at the end. At the end of the year some come in from winning the Q-school and some go out for not playing up to par.

Normal tourney prize funds would still come from advertising but a portion of it would kick back to AROD for his contribution of the money.

All in a dreamm.....

Wally_in_Cincy
08-28-2003, 10:31 AM
If the promoters could coordinate or time their events better they would draw some bigger names. IIRC the Joss tour had some huge names show up the week before the Atlantic City 10-ball tournament.

Steve Lipsky
08-28-2003, 10:39 AM
But then of course the flip side to my suggestion is that, by scheduling many stops in the same area, you will cannibalize your spectators. The same spectator won't pay to see 3 different tournaments in a month, for example. So what's good for the players may not be so good for the spectators, which is not good for the players...

It's definitely not an easy situation.

- Steve

HarryDC
08-28-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> If the promoters could coordinate or time their events better they would draw some bigger names. IIRC the Joss tour had some huge names show up the week before the Atlantic City 10-ball tournament. <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Wally, Steve, RichR

It's time don't you think for a coordinated tour with all of the perks even a player program with stats and profiles for we fans. I hope it is time? I am looking forward to it.

Yes, a full package for example would have put me in Philadelphia for pool instead of the US OPEN TENNIS Tournament. LOL

HarryDC

Steve Lipsky
08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Hi Harry. Speaking of the tennis US Open, I was there last night - and I now see what pool is doing wrong.

The bastards in Flushing were charging $3 for a copy of the draw/schedule. I almost fell down laughing when I saw that. Can you imagine trying to pull that at the pool US Open, or at a Joss tour, for example?? LOL.

- Steve