PDA

View Full Version : One pocket

Qtec
08-28-2003, 09:04 AM
I have been looking at the rules for O.P and I see the only one object ball has to hit a rail.

Do you then begin with a safety break or whack the pack open ?

Q

Carlton31698
08-28-2003, 09:10 AM
A safety break is best. You have more aggressive safety breaks. The least aggressive is like a straight pool break where you hit between the last two balls on the side of the rack opposite your pocket, the most you hit the rack between the first and second ball on the side of the rack opposite your pocket. What ever you do don’t break like you are playing 8-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

look at UWPoolGod's post below, that is what I ment by an aggressive break that most players use. This is the less aggressive break I only know one player localy that uses this break, he uses it because he moves real well but can not runout
START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NI3R4%OI8L3%Ph6D2%UI2T3%VJ3[4%WJ3Z7%XJ3R2
%YD3M3%ZJ1M2%[H6L2%\C3M2%]L5L1%^h1C9%bN9G9%cC3E5%dJ3K3
)END

UWPoolGod
08-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Usually something relative to whats below. Knock a few balls towards your pocket and leave the Cb hidden behind the rack is what I have seen the good players do. Then your opponent spends a few shots "trying" to get your balls away from your pocket and not leave you a shot. I am not a OP player so I may have the CB english wrong.

START(
%AN7O5%BM1R1%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EN3P5%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KE7T3%LH9N3%MK6Q4%NH8W8%OH9K9%Ph3D6%QA9[5%RQ4E6%UO3M5%Vg3E1
%WE0G7%XN2M4%YP9F2%ZD2F6%eA8a6
)END

cycopath
08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Do you then begin with a safety break or whack the pack open ?
<hr /></blockquote>Corey Deuel use to play with like an 8ball break. I have an Accu-Stats match on tape with him breaking like that. It just blows Grady Mathews' (commentating) mind every time he breaks.
I've read since that Corey has gone over to a more conventional soft break.

Qtec
08-28-2003, 09:32 AM
What about a break from behind the pack? Just hard enough to bury the white and move 5/6 balls?

Q

Carlton31698
08-28-2003, 09:36 AM
I have not seen that break, so I dont know how well it will work, I have seen a player kick into the stack from the side rail on the break, it made for a strange game.

UWPoolGod
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
As long as you hit a ball to a rail it should be legal. Or do you mean thinning the corner ball and spinning it off the rail back towards the center of the back of the rack...kind of risky if you ask me.

bolo
08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
What would be the point? The break should give you an advantage, drive balls to your hole, it is not mente to be a defensive shot. Often you can lay down such a good break the guy never gets out of it and you win the game in just a few innings.

eg8r
08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
It is funny you brought this up. Right after Nick Varner won the Maine 1p tournament, I was up at his shop (Mikes shop, but he was partners with Mike Sigel at the time) and I asked him about Cory. I had heard a lot on the boards about his break and I was interested in seeing what Nick would say.

Nick's response (roughly paraphrased), "We can play all day long if he promises to use that break. He will learn the correct way to break one day.". I just laughed. I ended up buying the tape of Cory playing Shannon (I think it was Shannon). After Cory made that first break, you could see the funny face that Shannon makes. It was hilarious to see his face and hear Grady in the background wondering what the heck Cory was thinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r

eg8r
08-28-2003, 10:30 AM
I don't know how effective that break would be if one of your opponents balls moves towards his pocket. If you leave the cb behind the rack, then that guy has a perfect shot at his own hole.

eg8r

Head Hunter
08-28-2003, 11:40 AM
I have seen the break from the side rail before and it is a good break unless you don't hit the balls square ad it lets your opponent have a good shot.

From what I was told and saw from a good 1p player is that you want to send a low ball and a high ball to your pocket and get the CB behind the rack where the opponent can't see either one to knock it out. Sounds easier than done though.

Fred Agnir
08-28-2003, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I ended up buying the tape of Cory playing Shannon (I think it was Shannon). After Cory made that first break, you could see the funny face that Shannon makes. It was hilarious to see his face and hear Grady in the background wondering what the heck Cory was thinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>I was there and got to witness the last rack up close and personal. When Corey broke and left it wide open, with Shannon shooting at absolutely nothing (jacked up on a ball, long shot, right?), the whole crowd knew it was over for Shannon. What did the commentary have to say?

At Derby City, (the following year) Corey was breaking conventionally in the matches I watched him. But, Corey has been a leader at putting his break studies to the test. To beat Shannon, albeit a short race to three, is still quite a feat.

Fred

Fred Agnir
08-28-2003, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I have been looking at the rules for O.P and I see the only one object ball has to hit a rail.

Do you then begin with a safety break or whack the pack open ?

Q <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.cues.com/break_shots1_0.html

You can scroll through by hitting "NEXT" to see different breaks. Bill give a little blurb on what each type of break is trying to accomplish. If you put your cursor over the balls on the lower right next to SPEED, the graphic changes to the "after break" position.

Fred

eg8r
08-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I will have to watch it again. I will get back to you in a couple months when I move back into my house. All my stuff is in storage.

Does anyone else have the video???

If I remember correctly, Grady sounds a little down and is stating that it is a shame. Or something to that effect.

eg8r

smfsrca
08-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Using inside follow aim the tip of the cue to split the first two balls. Shoot with speed that will leave the cue ball at point A between the first and second diamonds on the side rail.
Also, if you break on the same side as your bridge hand so your pocket will be on the same side as your grip hand you will have fewer shots that you will have difficulty reaching.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ4R1%OJ5M0%Ph3Z1%QQ6Y7%]O4P6%^l0[2%eC1`6
)END

Aboo
08-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Can you explain this comment?

"Excellent bank players all have one thing in common—they bank with the vertical center of the cueball."

I pulled this from that link you listed. I've always been fascinated by One Pocket myself, but my banking skills are lacking, so I stay away from it in the pool hall.

NH_Steve
08-28-2003, 02:47 PM
At the time of that One Pocket tournament in Maine, Corey was not exactly known as a One Pocket player. Did it ever occur to any of you that Corey liked it that way? To put it even more clearly, it is quite possible -- indeed probable -- that Corey used that break intentionally to enhance the impression that he didn't know how to play the game. Not to come across as a cynic, but One Pocket is a money game, right?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any of you who are familiar with Corey's after hours play prior to this tournament (Nov 2000) who might have sweated Corey playing One Pocket have any comment?

Steve --&gt; was also in Maine for that tourney

Ralph S.
08-28-2003, 03:05 PM
I would love to see that Dalton/Duel 1p mathch. Which Accustats tape is it on? The look on Dalton's face had to be priceless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

heater451
08-28-2003, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> . . .The least aggressive is like a straight pool break where you hit between the last two balls on the side of the rack opposite your pocket. . . .<hr /></blockquote>I learned to use 'outside' english, and thin the last ball (either side). The results are similar, with the opposite corner ball often returning to (near) it's spot in the rack, the ball contacted behind the pack, and the cue ball up table, on the opposite side of the rack from the contacted ball.

Does anyone else break this way, or do you go with the "between the two" break?

I've never found anyone playing 14.1 around here (haven't really looked, however), and I haven't seen any old, video matches, so I haven't been exposed to any other straight pool breaks. . . .I mostly just shoot continuous for practice/warm-up.

======================

HOWARD
08-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Qtec

one pocket, is a defensive game where one is pushing the balls towards his pocket, speed of the cueball, banking into cluster of balls and keeping the opponent safe etc are of paramount importance.

The two breaks I know are the one like bowling hitting
the one-three pocket with a half tip of inside english (if your pocket is the right you hit left side of the rack).
at a medium soft speed. The other is in between the last two balls at the bottom of the triangle with a little more power - less balls roll toward your pocket, but your opponent can be in a jam right off because cue ball comes back a little further and the loose balls are sometimes much harder to get to.

I believe on the break the rule is three balls have to reach a rail - just like straight pool - thereafter you must hit the object ball and reach a rail.

NH_Steve
08-28-2003, 07:17 PM
No, the One Pocket break rules are not like the straight pool break rules. In One Pocket, only one object ball or the cue ball needs to contact a rail, after the cue ball hits the rack. Also, the cue ball can indeed hit a rail before it hits the rack, but like in any other legal safety, an object ball still has to go in the pocket or an object ball or the cue ball must hit a rail.

NH_Steve
08-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Why it's on the Daulton/Deuel One Pocket match /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, to be precise, it's on Accu-Stats 1P00-06

Call Pat Fleming at 1-800-828-0397 or visit
http://www.accu-stats.com/

cycopath
08-28-2003, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> At the time of that One Pocket tournament in Maine, Corey was not exactly known as a One Pocket player. Did it ever occur to any of you that Corey liked it that way? To put it even more clearly, it is quite possible -- indeed probable -- that Corey used that break intentionally to enhance the impression that he didn't know how to play the game. Not to come across as a cynic, but One Pocket is a money game, right?<hr /></blockquote>
This was not like he was trying to hustle anybody, especially Shannon Daulton a great One Pocket player.
In the interview afterwards Corey said it was a break he'd been playing with after noticing the movement of the balls during 8 ball play.

Fred Agnir
08-29-2003, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> Can you explain this comment?

"Excellent bank players all have one thing in common—they bank with the vertical center of the cueball."
<hr /></blockquote>Nope, I can't explain it. I'm not an "excellent banker" and could only think that an excellent banker needs to be able to bank with either vertical center or with english.

Fred

Billy
08-29-2003, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Head Hunter:</font><hr> ...what I was told and saw from a good 1p player is that you want to send a low ball and a high ball to your pocket and get the CB behind the rack where the opponent can't see either one <hr /></blockquote>

what happens if you can only see the eight ball? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PQQLK9
08-29-2003, 06:12 PM
I think the the poster meant low and high as revelant to pocket position as opossed to numerical (stripes or solids) as they and the 8 ball have no bearing on a one pocket game.