PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 newbie question

spanky
08-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Just starting to play straight pool. How do you practice the opening break by yourself. Bust'em like 8 ball ? Or keep trying a safety break 'til they start to spread ?
Also, at end of rack with just break ball, do you try and make something out of the rack as well as break ball (ie hit extremely hard) or just make break ball and spread rack ?

thanks

Rod
08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I've always thought it best to set up a break shot at the start. An angle that will spread the balls well, yet doesn't require much force. When I miss during a run I just pick it up from where I missed. At the end of the rack I try to leave a good break shot. Once again, one that doesn't require a lot of force to spread the balls. You really only want to spread the balls, your not after a killer break. Sometimes spreading to many balls is a disaster, not to mention missing the shot or lose control of Whitey.

Rod

ChrisW
08-29-2003, 02:52 PM
I think if you shoot the openning break like your playing 8-ball you are not really helping your self, other then get high practice runs. But in a game you will very rarely see an open table like that (off the openning break) so I think you should practice as close to game situations as possible.
I would pratcice the soft break or at least the same break that your opponent would use against you.

Chris

daviddjmp
08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey-

Break like you lost the lag. Rmemeber, two object balls must hit the cushion.Then, try to make the hard shot you left your opponent. Then try to find a ball with which to re-break the pack. The nice thing about straight pool is the fact that if you are alone and you miss, you just keep shooting. A great training aid is Jim Rempe's "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". He runs about 8 racks and thinks out loud during each of them, telling you why he is shooting each shot, his planning for break shots, etc. It is a fabulous way to learn the strategy of 14.1. It is amazing to watch him, as he does not miss a single ball in the entire tape, and he can pretty execute what he needs on every shot. I have watched that tape about 20 times and I get something new out of it on every viewing. Have fun-

Wally_in_Cincy
08-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Soft break.

You need to get someone to show you the classic break shot. If you really want to learn to play, buy Phil Cappelle's book "Play Your Best Straight Pool"

Enjoy. That is my favorite pool game even though I'm not real good at it.