PDA

View Full Version : How to keep OR get cloth tight?

preacherman
08-29-2003, 07:52 PM
I have an 8 foot Brunswick with Simonis on it. You have to love that Simonis. I have had the cloth stretched (at their cost) 3 times in a 18 months. Now it os a little lose again. Part of it may be my fault for using a small vacuum on it per the suggestings of many on and off CCB.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to tighten up the cloth to take out the slack (short of taking rails off)?
Most people don't notice it, but I do!

Thanks,
Jim
www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com)

pooljunkie73
08-29-2003, 10:24 PM
If the the cloth is a little loose around the pockets, you can dampen the cloth down with a damp towel/rag till the cloth just changes color, then smooth the wrinkles out.If it's real bad you will have to take the rails off.

How come you have had to have it re-stretched so many times?

Kent Mc.

preacherman
08-30-2003, 08:00 AM
It's not bad enough for me to want to take the rails off. The reason it was stretched so many times was because the crew didn't know how to balance a table, it would finally bother me their poor workmanship so they would come back and rebalance it and in the process they would have to re-tack the cloth - thus it's been stretched 3 times in 18 months.

I currently do use a slightly damp cloth in my process of cleaning the table. I'm not sure if your talking a wetter cloth than how I currently do it.

Thanks,
Jim

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2003, 10:29 AM
let me know if you find a good answer. My first response is that you needed a good mechanic to start with. Mine is loose at home, I made a bad choice in hiring out my job it seems. I've seen solid, tightly done coverings hold up on other tables far longer than mine did. Good luck! sid

preacherman
08-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Sid,
My were supposed to be professional installers (for big name pool table). Haven't been impressed. I notice it.
But most don't. So I guess were both in the same boat.
I might wait a few months as we are in the process of moving and would either sell my table and get another one OR I would have to get it taken apart and reput together in a few months anyway.

Jim :-)

nAz
08-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey where i play they recently redone the 40 year old GC with Simonis 860 and on one of the tables they put on new rails. while that table was being done i ask if they stretch it by hand or with a vice grip, i was told that Simonis recommends that it be done by hand. two month later the cloth feels a little lose and the table is so slow. Do you guys think its cause of the hand stretching?

wolfdancer
08-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Haven't done this for a few years..but I've done several rooms with a top mechanic, and he had to stretch that a lot more then the older coverings...even started using a cloth stretcher, instead of by hand.
We never had to go back to retighten any

AndyG
09-02-2003, 05:44 AM
Hi Preacherman, I think your problem is due to faulty initial installation. The cloth on my 12 tables never gets loose, and they're vacuumed 365 days a year. I'm replacing all the cloth next month after one year, and they're all as tight as the day they were covered.
Good luck,
AndyG

NBC-BOB
09-02-2003, 01:01 PM
I wonder if you have extreme problems with humidity in your area?The reason I ask this is, a friend of mine installed a table in his basement and had to keep tigntening the cloth up.One of the rooms I play in, occasionally wash the cloth down and I noticed that it also seems to, tighten the cloth up.Something to consider doing! good luck.

socrates
09-02-2003, 01:47 PM
I have 860 simonis on 9ft brunswick. Cloth has been on for three years with almost daily play. The cloth is still tight as a drum. My input for what its worth.

1. Do not vacum the cloth. IMO this casuses cloth to come loose.

2. I brush after every use. Then about 2x per week I take a face towel, run hot water over it and then wring out till damp. I then fold towel into 4ths and towel down the table working from head spot to foot spot, like a brush. The towel picks up the chalk and the moisture seems to help shrink the cloth and keep it tight.

Good luck hope this helps.