PDA

View Full Version : Sardo Tight Rack ?U.S.Open?

Brady_Behrman
04-08-2002, 05:51 PM
According to the rules, ALL BALLS must be touching...
What other rack can guarantee that?

The rack is fair to both opponents because the "Sardo" Racks the BALLS perfect 99.99999 percent of the time..

Try This,
Rack the 9 Balls regular, then move the 9 on the spot. Use two different tables so you can see what differences in ball position are...You will find there is Hardly no differences...The "Sardo" Racks so perfect and that's why the wing ball goes...Moving the rack up and eliminating the Soft Break would be fair to all players. The break would have to be 15mph or greater. The soft Break is 8 or 9mph.

Also, Keep in mind...Technology is always changing and I feel the Sardos are going to do what's best for OUR sport,IMO! I talked to Lou Sardo today, and he is totally looking out for the best interest of pool..

Wooden Racks do not rack consistent and often cause MAJOR problems between players,etc..

Thats it for now....

Thanks
Brady

Ken
04-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Brady, I think it's been determined that after you "train" the table by providing indentations for each ball that any rack or just rolling them there by hand will result in them all touching.

I have seen Carmine train the table by just banging on the one ball. If the Sardo rack works when only the one ball has been banged on then it might be a viable product. Why not do it that way and see how predictable the break is then?

Why not have referrees use the Sardo without all that cloth training and make the players accept whatever they get? Let the players check for gaps and use their skills to exploit any that might result. That might make the game more interesting.
Ken in CT

Race2-9
04-08-2002, 08:01 PM
The fact that the Sardo changes the table conditions with the table prep tells me it's not right for the game. If the rack works without putting dents in the table, go for it.

rackmup
04-08-2002, 08:13 PM
What would be wrong with letting the person breaking, rack his own rack, under the supervision of a referee (to ensure the one ball is on the spot and that the rack is "square"), with a standard wooden rack?

I have been told that no wooden rack will rack the balls so that all are touching. People, if we can send a man to the moon, cure deadly diseases and justify paying Alex Rodriguez a quarter of a billion dollars to go 0-for-4, then I have to believe that someone could make a decent wooden (or other material) rack that would lay this issue to rest.

Or is it not that easy? Mr. Berhman, I would like your thoughts on this, regardless of any fees paid to you by Sardo for the use of the "tight-rack."

Regards,

Ken (can't get three balls to touch each other with our wooden racks but can use them as a very efficient tire chock when changing a flat on a slope)

Brady_Behrman
04-08-2002, 08:31 PM
To my knowledge, There are hardly NO racks that Rack Perfectly. The old Duffy was the best i had ever seen. We used to do, rack your own. Players and fans asked to change it. They say it makes the game loose some excitement, aswell as other things.

04-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Hi Ken. The problem with "Winner Racks", and the reason it has never really caught on, is that it gives the breaker too much of an edge. Once he finds the exact spot at which the wing ball starts flying in, he'll keep racking there.

In this format, the loser, who can only check to make sure the balls behind the 9 are tight, will have absolutely no justification for a re-rack. "Loser Racks" allows the opponent to slightly move the 1 up on the spot (no more than 1/2 inch or so), to stop the wing ball threat.

"Winner Racks", ironically, will give the same result as the Sardo: a neverending barrage of five-packs.

Troy
04-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Brady... I gather you did NOT read the numerous posts AGAINST the damn SARDINE GIZMO !!!!! I will NOT repeat my lengthy experience "training" tables by putting craters in the cloth.

The tone of your post is that you are about to SELL OUT and now you're simply trying to justify your decision. So be it.

A PERFECTLY TIGHT RACK CAN BE OBTAINED WITH A GOOD WOOD TRIANGLE !!!

Troy...~~~ Knows how to rack

cheesemouse
04-08-2002, 09:38 PM
The cash speaks loudly...it is the way. It sucks sometimes but...hey...so it goes.

04-09-2002, 12:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> The tone of your post is that you are about to SELL OUT and now you're simply trying to justify your decision. Troy...~~~ Knows how to rack

/quote]

troy, respectfully, no-one on this board surpasses me in loathing the sardo rack. i coined the terms "sardine" and "rat trap" here and reported on it first when it was presented to the full field at a wpba tour stop. i was there. i ate my ration of crap when i reported that allison had had enough private time with the sardo to develop the soft break. no, corey was much later.

i say all that to forestall claims that i'm selling out.

brady is right to take the money.

he has made his bones on this board, asked for and listened to our opinions then made a wise business decision. have we forgotten the financial troubles he and his dad have had??? why should he turn down the cash when other big-time tourneys are not? honestly, i don't think the sardo rack is going to be made or marketed much longer since even the biggest boats must patch their leaks or sink. in the meantime, the silly gadget has not destroyed pool any more than jump cues, simonis cloth or leather tips did.

if using the sardo helps keep one of the best tournaments in pool going then i say "god bless and let's hope everbody gets paid in full and on time."

dan

Scott Lee
04-09-2002, 01:46 AM
I agree with Troy...that a perfectly good rack can be achieved with a good wooden triangle.

Scott Lee

04-09-2002, 02:57 AM
In my opinion, it's a catch 22. I, as everyone else I'm sure, have heard every side of the issue. I can completely understand why people would be against it. Actually, I bought one when they first came out, but I don't use it. I like having to work on my break, and the different challenges that each result gives on the break, verses knowing which ball will go in almost every time.

However, I can see why some people would want to see the use of the Sardo in big money tourney's (asside from the sponser aspect.)

In professional bowling, they don't vary the placement of the pins on different turns, or change the wax conditions of the lanes. And in golf, they don't change the hole location or the tee box between players. Now, before everyone starts yelling at me, of course I realize that these sports are completely different from pool. The point I am trying to make is that I can understand the rational behind creating an equal playing field from the beging of a competition, no matter what the sport is.

I am sure all of us at one point has had a crucial point in some match where you break the balls perfectly square, but the balls hardly scatter because your opponent gave you a bad rack; and what a coincidence that it happened when you were on the hill, and all of the other racks had been great... now some will say that it's your fault for not checking the rack (I tell myself that), but why should you have to when all the rest have been good? Not to mention the etiquette/karma thing that we all contemplate over at some point?

It does take the excitement out of one of the most entertaining parts of the game from a spectators point of view, which is a shame. I don't want people who read this post to think that I am a proponent of the rack...I am just trying to point out the pro's and con's.

One thing I do strongly believe in is that not matter what the situation is, it's the same for everyone. For example, I have met a number of people who don't believe that jump cues should be allowed...well guess what, they are, and it's not going to change. Instead of complaining about it, just go out and buy one and learn how to use it, because everyone else is. Imagine if a pro golfer was time-warped from the 20's and complained that titanium drivers weren't fair, and he just insisted on using his old wooden one? While you may not agree with the changes, you just have to adapt to them.

The point of that example is that I read in an article that Earl Strickland said that Corey Deuel didn't deserve to win in a tournament that he was using the soft break in. I believe that is crap; it's not Corey's fault they were using the Sardo...he was just making the most of the situation...he didn't have an unfair advantage, anyone else can do the exact same thing.

Whew! I'm tired of typing! Anyway, hope this doesn't make anyone angry; it's just my point of view... -Chisolm

Rich R.
04-09-2002, 05:44 AM
I have mixed feelings with this whole situation.
It is easy for us to sit back and say that the Sardo rack is junk and should be thrown out, but we do not have to deal with the financial aspects of putting on a major tournament. On that side, I say go for the money.
On the other side, I believe too many rules are being changed to allow the use of the Sardo rack. First you have to put divots in the cloth. Then the rack was moved forward, racking the nine ball on the spot, instead of the one ball. Now the speed of the break is going to be monitored.
When do the changes stop?
If you must, for whatever reason, use the Sardo rack, allow the players to break any way they choose. They are adjusting to the shot at hand, the same they do for any other shot on the table. Each player chooses the method of break shot to use for him/herself.
I would be in total favor of alternating breaks, regardless of what rack you use.
JMHO. Rich R.
Rich R.

MikeM
04-09-2002, 07:46 AM
I say grab the money Brady. But I agree with Rich. Changing the rules to adapt to a particular product seems wrong. And using a radar gun at a pool match just seems like heresy. Worse than the DH! IMO

04-09-2002, 08:00 AM
With all due respect to your opinion, I think that consistency IS the problem with the Sardo rack. Actually, there really isn't another sport where conditions are exactly the same throughout the match. For example: in bowling, the oil on the lane moves each time a ball runs into it and bowlers are constantly adjusting to the moving oil during a match. In golf, as the day progresses, weather conditions change, such as the wind, and the greens get walked on in different directions by the players. Balls land in divot holes that weren't there before, and so-on.

The beauty of sports is that it ISN'T the same for everyone all the time. The great thing about changing conditions is that every player gets a chance to bring out their individual strengths that got them there in the first place.

Fran

04-09-2002, 09:52 AM
I personally feel the using the sardo is comparable to taking a 7000 yard golf course and making it 5500 so the pros can hit the greens in regulation more consistantly. Whenever I watch a match where the sardo gets used I seem to find it alot more boring as there is not that excitment or anticipation of the big power break. to me the sardo is nothing more than a device to make this game easier to play...I THINK THAT HURTS THE GAME NOT HELPS IT

04-09-2002, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> I say grab the money Brady. But I agree with Rich. Changing the rules to adapt to a particular product seems wrong. And using a radar gun at a pool match just seems like heresy. Worse than the DH! IMO <hr></blockquote>

i agree that the radar gun sounds like a very bad idea. what about using the "break box"?? will that beat the soft break and make 'em get at it??

dan

Brady_Behrman
04-09-2002, 12:02 PM
We used the break box last year with the sardo...

The Radar Guns:
One would be on the TV table and would record the speed of the break so everyone could see..
The other one would be manned by carmen and he would randomly check tables.

If someone uses a soft break, Ball in Hand for oponent.

I dont think the Gun will even matter, if you tell the players NO SOFT BREAK, they will break em hard..

Thanks
Brady

Vicki
04-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Hi Brady,

I attended the Master's last year and the US Open for the last three years. I like the idea of having a radar gun on the TV table - that would be fun to watch as a spectator. I heard of a rule that at least 3 balls must pass the side pocket on the break using Sardo at the Derby City. I don't know if that was actually the rule but I am sure there was a rule about soft breaking because no one was doing it. I like the break box rule. That has also been a controversal issue around the US Open. I don't know if you have considered the alternate break option but I would be in support of that too. Remember the failed Billiard Channel events that had a best two out of three races to 5(?) and you had to win by 2 (similar to tennis) or there was a tie breaker with the spot shot but with both the OB and CB on the opposite spots? I am sure I have butchered the deatails of that particular set of rules. Maybe that is not the best set of rules for the US Open or for pool in general but it did add some interest to the game. I personally liked that format but I am sure I could be put before a CCB firing squad for that admission.

One thing is for sure... the US Open is the PREMIER event in the industry. While I appreciate your solicitation for opinions here on CCB I don't really think you need to do that. You and your father are the patriarchs of pool. We should be asking your opinion. I will see you at Brady's Spring Open and will introduce myself then. All though we have met several times it was always in passing and I am sure you wouldn't remember. Congrats on the new addition to your family.

Vicki

04-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Brady, I am a long time supporter of pro pool including the US open and Masters. Some years ago (1988) I promoted a pro event ( The Joey Spaeth Memorial). I also lost my shirt without the benefit of significant sponsorship monies. It is with this in mind that I approve of the Sardo assistance.
However, I loathe the soft break. It is my opinion that racking conventionally and alternating the break would level the playing field. add lagging for the first break and a win by two rule and the excitement may return to Sardo nine ball.

Sincerely Mike Hughes

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Brady,
According to the rules, spoting the NINE ball on the foot spot is not allowed.
Radar units? on every table? wouldn't that mean you'll have to have more people working the tables? Are the SARDO people going to provide Rack and Radar Boys again?

Just some questions..

Drake
04-09-2002, 07:10 PM
How Soft is Soft? What speed is considered a Soft Break?? I'm sure some people will say Deuel's medium speed break is killing everyone!

Brady_Behrman
04-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Under 15 is soft

Brady_Behrman
04-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the Kind Words and I look forward to seeing you in April at the SpringOpen....

Cuemage
04-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Question: If players have great success with a hard break, will there be limitations on how HARD they can hit them next year?

I think you can see where this is going...

The Cuemage

Rod
04-09-2002, 08:20 PM
I agree Tom, the one goes on the foot spot. If that is changed, then it will be the only game played that way. Sounds a little ridiculous to me. I know the women play it that way, but I wish it wasn't happening. I wonder about best games, sets or records. Someone says he had the best record ever. Then someone says, yes but that was done with the balls racked 2+" forward. It might be trivial, but a thought. Radar and all sounds interesting, if the tapes show the speed. They did that for a while in golf, but it is rarely shown anymore. The bottom line in my opinion is rack the balls legal not forward. It could be an alternate break format, but even if the winner breaks everyone plays under the same conditions. They know that well in advance.
Well who knows but being edited for tv might be another issue. Rack the balls, they will show up in numbers.

04-10-2002, 03:23 AM
As usual you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Are you not the one who says that pool needs a steady sponsor to grow in stature? Who have been a better sponsor than the Sardo brothers? Nobody. You can't have it both ways. As with anything in pool the conditions are the same for all involved. Some players adjust to the soft break and some cry and bitch and never adjust. Adjusting to conditions is all a part of pool. Corr, Fisher, Deuel and a few other have adjusted and prospered. If the complainers would adjust then they could prosper too. To suggest getting rid of the Sardo along with the money for being a sponsor is totally insane.

Drake
04-10-2002, 03:47 AM
Alternate breaks!!!!Alternate Breaks!!!!

Rich R.
04-10-2002, 05:09 AM
By limiting how soft or hard a player breaks, you are penalizing them for getting good at one aspect of the game. Like Cuemage said, are you going to penalize successfull hard breakers? To carry it further, are you going to limit how many rack in a row a player can run? Just because players become proficient at a game, or one aspect of a game, does not mean that the rules should be altered. Let those that practice a skill and master it, whether it be the hard break or the soft break, be rewarded. I don't care if you choose to use the Sardo or not, but don't tell a player how hard to hit the shot. Rich R.

Ken
04-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Rich, I agree that the rules should not be altered. But at the same time:
1. let's not change where the balls are racked.
2. let's bring back random ball placement in the rack instead of the same order every time.
3. let's not provide an indentation in the cloth for each ball just so the "tight" rack will work.

If the device will not work without all these rule changes let's drop it. I say have random order with the one on the spot. Only bang the one ball into the table. If the rack won't work then let Lou come down out of the stands to "train" the tables and have the spectators and the ESPN viewers decide how great the rack is then. I bet if you train only the one ball you will get some extremely variable racks with gaps all over the place. Be much harder to run out then.

I saw the rack used once with only the spot "trained". Nobody complained but it was not a serious competition. I'm sure the table manufacturer would have complained because I think the spot was hit hard enough to chip the slate.
Ken in CT

Rich R.
04-10-2002, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> Rich, I agree that the rules should not be altered. But at the same time:
1. let's not change where the balls are racked.
2. let's bring back random ball placement in the rack instead of the same order every time.
3. let's not provide an indentation in the cloth for each ball just so the "tight" rack will work.<hr></blockquote>
I totally agree Ken. I would be willing to compromise a little to allow promoters take advantage of the Sardo sponsorship money, but it is starting to go too far. Rich R.

Troy
04-10-2002, 10:54 AM
You don't post here often, and you didn't even bother to register, so you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Where did I "Talk out of both sides" of my mouth ???

I have been a critic of the damn SARDINE GIZMO for a couple years minimum and have posted extensively on its shortcomings.

You might want to get your story straight prior to shooting off your mouth.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: B.B:</font><hr> As usual you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Are you not the one who says that pool needs a steady sponsor to grow in stature? Who have been a better sponsor than the Sardo brothers? Nobody. You can't have it both ways. As with anything in pool the conditions are the same for all involved. Some players adjust to the soft break and some cry and bitch and never adjust. Adjusting to conditions is all a part of pool. Corr, Fisher, Deuel and a few other have adjusted and prospered. If the complainers would adjust then they could prosper too. To suggest getting rid of the Sardo along with the money for being a sponsor is totally insane. <hr></blockquote>

JimS
04-10-2002, 12:50 PM
The word rationalization comes to mind here and a good definition of that word is: a socially acceptable explanation for socially unacceptable behavior.

That's what we have with the US Open using the Sardo....imo. The whole dammed game has to be changed to accomodate the Sardo: put the 9 on the spot, no slow break, get a radar gun for Pete's sake, make a rule about break speed, etc, etc. All this and yet in order to get the $$$$$$$$ people find a way to 'splain all that and pretend that the Sardo is needed and good for the game. Spin doctors have been at work here and, again imo, it's all a load of crap..period.

Doctor_D
04-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Good afternoon:

All I hope, from a financial perspective, is that the check had lots and lots of Zeros (like a minimum of Five (Six would be even better)) on it after the Three, Four or Five!

Dr. D.

Troy
04-10-2002, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

All I hope, from a financial perspective, is that the check had lots and lots of Zeros (like a minimum of Five (Six would be even better)) on it after the Three, Four or Five!

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Reminds me of a story ---

Man asks Lady if she'll go to bed with him for $1,000,000.
Lady says for $1,000,000 the answer is YES.
Man then asks for $10 worth.
Lady responds with surprise asking what he thinks she is.
Man answers that what she is has already been determined, the discussion now is only about price.

Troy...~~~ Rack the 1 on the spot properly with a good wood triangle. If you don't know how, LEARN !!!

04-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Doesn't matter what rack you use. Once the Sardo's POUND the balls into place. You don't even need the rack to get the balls perfect.
You could rack with your hands.
If you took the balls and Systematically POUNDED THE DAYLIGHTS out of them....it wouldn't matter if you used bent plastic triangles.

It would be interesting to see how the rack would perform without the prepwork needed.
Try having a tournament where they DON'T smash the balls into place. See what type of results you have.

ENIGMA

04-11-2002, 03:55 AM
No I am not registered and that is called freedom of choice whether YOU like it or not. That has nothing to do with what I said. Try and comment on the issues I brought to the table and not on who brought them. Who do you suggest Brady get as a sponsor to replace Sardo and all of their money? HUH? WHO?

Gayle in MD
04-11-2002, 07:20 AM
Dan, good post, I totally agree. Business is business! Brady should, and will I am sure, make his decision from a business point of view. I hope that others will see his situation in that light, and that he will not be harshly judged for making a good business decision. While I personally cannot figure out for the life of me why anyone would purchase the Sardo, it seems to be here to stay as far as the big tournaaments go, since the pro players seem to have adjusted to it, and accepted it. I don't like any object that damages a table, since to me, a table is a work of art, and mine is treated with the same respect as my baby grand piano. But hey, as my Italian grand mother used to say, "Mama Mia, people buy dirt, in bags!?" With all due respect for Brady, and his experience of the Sardo folks, and their love of the sport, I don't give a hoot about that. It irritates me to think that just because these folks are rich, they can buy their way into changing a traditional variable, and or skill element of the game, as Fran so eloquently explained. Jim S. says it best, "Cloth is green, chalk is blue, and racks should be wooden!"
Gayle in Md, Wishing Brady and his family all the best, and happily racking perfect racks everytime with a good ol' wooden rack, LOL

04-12-2002, 04:32 AM
It's a no-brainer for Brady. Wood racks=no sponsor money. Sardo=a whole lot of sponsor money. We all know pool needs sponsorship and added money. Lets not kill the golden goose.

04-15-2002, 01:50 PM
The Sardo Rack does not POUND balls into the table!!!

I have been using the rack for every tournament I have played in for the past 2 years. I never bother to make alignment marks or to tap the balls into place.I simple align my rack over the spot, roll the ball into place and rack. I get 90 to 100% geat racks. The Sardo Rack does not need to have balls tapped or have markings on the table, because of the finger point pressure on all the balls at the same time.You will get a much better rack using the Sardo rack than the standar rack.
The best thing I love about it is that if you are playing for money ( which no one ever does...) your opponent can't maneover the balls with this fingers. You will always get the best rack, and the spread of the ball are better. If the spread is better than the greater the chance of a break and run (which means more money in my hand).

The SARDO TIGHT RACK is by far the best thing ever invented for the game of pool.. My hat goes off to the people who invented this perfect rack!!!!!!!

Hou..dbjr.

cheesemouse
04-15-2002, 09:06 PM
If what you say is true you better get that special rack back to the Sardo Brothers so they can reverse engineer the damn thing cause it is the only one that does what you say. Are you sure you didn't drop it when you took it out of the box or something?

04-16-2002, 11:30 AM
hey , cheesemouse
Have you even tried the Rack yet???? If I had to guess what kind of player you are I bet I would see a person who just hits the balls around hoping something goes in!!!
You know if you would shut your mouth and play some pool the right why with a tight rack than maybe even a chesshead like yourself could get better. You need to play with the rack before you can reject it.

I know there are people out there who don't understand the rack, but if E. Strickland raves about the rack the sardo brothers must be doing something right....

04-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Troy,
It' is a shame that you feel that way about the Sardo Tight Rack.The Sardo rack has changed for the better not for the worst. Do you know with the Old wood rack you can't get the same rack everytime!!! With the OLD wood rack the 9 ball will float into the corner pockets. Do you know that is NEVER.. NEVER suppost to happen!! If that happens than that means the rack was not perfect. If it was perfect than the 9 ball should stay in place no matter how slow, or how hard you hit the balls.. The only way the 9 ball will be made with the Sardo rack is when it is kicked in by another ball. I was in Vegas last year and watched Bustumonte and Strickland play head to head during the BCA tournament. You would think as hard as they hit the balls on the break the 9 ball would move.... guess what,, the only time the 9 ball moved was when the 9 was kicked by another ball.
I was amazed by the Sardo Tight Rack.. The Sardo rack proved it's point in that match. The Sardo rack puts the skill and run-out back into the game and takes some of the luck out of it..
Also, the Sardo rack does not put holes or damage the cloth. The only pressure you will receive with the Sardo rack is a finger like pressure onto the table. You hurt the table more when you jump a ball than with the Sardo rack.

Troy
04-16-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm not cheesmouse, but I have used the SARDINE GIZMO --- right out of the box new. The owner of the Pool Room where I was manager ordered two of the GIZMOS. First, he had to pay up front, then he had to wait SIX MONTHS for delivery.

The INSTRUCTIONS that came with the GIZMO say to use the TEMPLATE and WATER DROPPER (included) to START "TRAINING" the table. The water drops create a small DENT in the cloth. Those same instruction say to TAP THE BALLS that do NOT stay frozen.

When all was said and done, there were 15 CRATERS from TAPPING. Also, since the balls would simply FALL into those CRATERS, there was now NO NEED for the easily breakable, plastic SARDINE GIZMO.

Learn to rack with a good wood triangle !!!

Troy...~~~ Can get a tight rack every time with a wood triangle.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: hou...dbjr.:</font><hr> hey , cheesemouse
Have you even tried the Rack yet???? If I had to guess what kind of player you are I bet I would see a person who just hits the balls around hoping something goes in!!!
You know if you would shut your mouth and play some pool the right why with a tight rack than maybe even a chesshead like yourself could get better. You need to play with the rack before you can reject it.

I know there are people out there who don't understand the rack, but if E. Strickland raves about the rack the sardo brothers must be doing something right.... <hr></blockquote>

04-16-2002, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: hou...dbjr:</font><hr>
Also, the Sardo rack does not put holes or damage the cloth. The only pressure you will receive with the Sardo rack is a finger like pressure onto the table. You hurt the table more when you jump a ball than with the Sardo rack. <hr></blockquote>

What do you call it when you have to 'train' the table according to the Sardo rack?

Do you not agree that there are small indentations,the same as a trick shot artist will 'train' the table before his/her show.Tapping the balls in place insure that the shot will have a higher success rate.This is the same procedure as Sardo recommends?

04-16-2002, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: hou...dbjr.:</font><hr>

I know there are people out there who don't understand the rack, but if E. Strickland raves about the rack the sardo brothers must be doing something right.... <hr></blockquote>

I could be mistaken but I believe Earl is on the Sardo payroll?

Doctor_D
04-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Good afternoon:

When I completed my Undergraduate studies in 1976, (oops - showing my age) I accepted a position with a mechanical contractor. The senior mechanical systems engineer would always like to say; "The More You Over Think the Piping the Easier it is to Stop Up the Plumbing" Keep projects and equipment simple and they will work better.

High Tech has its place and applications however, when too many additional modifications need to be made to accomodate the new gizmo, simple will innevitably prove to be better. Wooden racks, properly used, yield excellent results!

For the record, I have used the Sardo Rack.

Dr. D.

04-16-2002, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: hou...dbjr:</font><hr> the Sardo rack does not put holes or damage the cloth. The only pressure you will receive with the Sardo rack is a finger like pressure onto the table. You hurt the table more when you jump a ball than with the Sardo rack. <hr></blockquote>

sorry pal, but that is where you are just plain dead wrong as troy pointed out in another post.

i attended a number of wpba tour stops including the one where the racks were first presented for general play rather than just the finals. one of the sardo brothers, the short one, was showing the women how to use the thing and explaining it. he explained how it was necessary to "train the cloth". i rubbed my fingers across the deep indentations, remarked upon it and did not ingratiate myself to him.

the reason for marking the pin locations on the cloth is that the simple downward pressure of the grips has no effect on untrained cloth. without the holes, it just does not work. with the holes there is no need for the machine.
advocate all you want but get the facts right.

dan

Doctor_D
04-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Good afternoon:

With all this having been said, the decision to use or not to use the Sardo Tight Rack is purely one of business and economics. Additionally, when you look at the content of this thread, you could never BUY this amount of publicity. If nothing else, it keeps life interesting and controversial!

Dr. D.

rackmup
04-16-2002, 01:34 PM
I too, have used the Sardo device and although I understand and appreciate the idea behind it, I have to agree that a good rack can be had with a quality wooden rack.

It's no different than the technology in golf. Clubs that reduce slicing, hooks, produce more spin, etc. do not make you a better golfer. The swing is the key factor.

Pool is no different. If you have no stroke, what the hell good does a tight rack do for you?

K.I.S.S.!

Technology has gone way too far in some instances.

Now, excuse me...I just bought a new spring-loaded-jump-break-cue with a titanium alloy joint, master lock 3/8 pin, super-phenolic-blended-resin-faux-ivory ferrules and imported leather tips with a Jamaican linen/leather/cocobolo wrap that I need to practice with.

Regards,

Ken (phenolically yours, now and forever)

Kato
04-16-2002, 01:45 PM
I think it's amazing that you finished your undergrad studies at the age of 7!!!!!! No wonder rackemup found your uhm............brain so attractive.

Kato~~~teasing the good Dr.

Doctor_D
04-16-2002, 01:47 PM
Good afternoon Kato:

I am not ashamed to admit that I will be 48 come this August. Yes, the good Dr is a Leo!

Dr. D.

Troy
04-16-2002, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>Jamaican linen/leather/cocobolo wrap that I need to practice with.
<hr></blockquote>

Don't get too much heat close to that Jamaican stuff, it'll make you miss shots and you won't even care..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Troy I think it's about time to get over it!! The Sardo brothers and their money are here to stay. Learn to adapt and get on with your life. Pool needs sponsors and the Sardo bothers happen to be one. If not for sponsors like them then there would be no US Open or any other decent money tournaments.

cheesemouse
04-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Unreg-dudeflop,
Having tried one would assume that I was stupid enough to buy one in the first place, of course, if I was stupid enough to buy one before asking any questions as to there worth I may be tempted to justify my purchase by ranting and yes, raving about there imaginary worth just to make myself feel less the idiot. Now that you own one do you feel like a wise guy?? Earl may have got paided to rave or didn't you think of that. Oh, I'm sorry I forgot.
As to your imagining my pool skills I doubt that we will ever resolve that issue but I would like to be one of your pool nightmares, that would be a pleasure in my mouse like life. Even a cheesehead, hum......better a cheesehead than an airhead, perhaps.

06-04-2002, 05:18 PM
I think that the sardo tight rack is the biggest piece of s**t ever invented in the game , because of 3 reasons 1 is the damn thing was only invented to eliminate complaints about the rack2 it has descraced the game by destroying the slate in the rack vicinity and 3 it simply takes the break out of the game . They pay pro players like Johnny Archer,Earl Strickland,Mike Massey,Allison Fisher,and Steve Tipton who is not a player in this game . Anyway they git payed big dollarz to endorse this peice of s**T.It sickens me to believe that who ever invented this needs there head examined. This product is a discrace to the game and to tournament play enough said ,,,,,,, jason tha twister lauria

06-04-2002, 05:35 PM
If you insist on using the Sardo rack, might I suggest...

10-ball. Ten-ball. TEN-BALL. X-Ball (Roman numerals). A-Ball (Hex). 12-Ball (Octal). 1010-Ball (Binary).

10-BALL!
10-BALL!
10-BALL!

I don't have a problem with the rack itself. I just don't like the wing-ball in 9-ball going in EVERY TIME (if the one is racked on the spot). And I don't like the one going in the side every time (with the 9 racked on the spot, and a soft break). And I hate the soft-break, PERIOD! Not only is it BAD for the fans, but I think that a hard (but controlled) break should be a required skill in games that have traditionally been hard break games. Like the serve in Tennis. Or the drive in Golf. Or the kick-off in Football. There SHOULD be an advantage to a hard (but controlled!) break. It should be a requisite skill for some games. People have been working for years at developing a hard (BUT CONTROLLED!) break. And now the Sardo comes along and all that work is useless? Sorry, don't like it.

06-04-2002, 05:49 PM
I will never like the break.
Even if you have a perfect very hard break, it is just up to luck for a ball to go in.
And i dont like the softbreak either.
I wish they just took the importance of the break, it is a luck shot, it shouldnt be the most important shot of the game!
If players always run when they get a shot at the first ball then why is it so hard to believe the whole match is decided in the breaks?
So if you know this and you know breaks are luck, you know winning a pool tournament is very much a lotery.
Im practicing to play pro tournaments, but this just ruens the whole thing for me.

06-04-2002, 05:53 PM
I look at it as a matter of percentages. The better a break you have, the higher chance you have of sinking a ball and having a shot. There is no absolute guarantee either way.

Actually, almost everything in life is like this. For example, if I drive home without my seat belt buckled (which I would NEVER do!), it doesn't guarantee that I'll die on the way home. And if I drive home with my seat belt buckled, it doesn't guarantee that I'll arrive home alive. But the odds are certainly more in my favor if I buckle my seat belt!

This can be applied to virtually EVERYTHING that happens in our lives. There are very few absolutes. Just have to play the percentages...