PDA

View Full Version : What other sport

Jimmy B
08-30-2003, 03:34 AM
I come from a long line of golfers, I on the other hand do not golf at all. But in some conversations with family members I asked them if they had the chance to enter a pro event and have a shot to play side by side or even in a foursome with Tiger or Phil, or any pro for some money would they? Everyone had the same answer "Hell Yeah!" So my question is why don't more people take advantage of what we have in pool? In what other sport can ANYONE play in a pro event and have a shot to rack for a pro? Sure you may have no shot to even get to 3, but you'd still be doing something that IMO most people would do in any other sport (except maybe football and Boxing LOL) I mean how much would someone pay to get on the field and bat with the Yankees, or play a 5 on 5 game with Shaq and MJ? So the question is why don't more people take advantage of this opportunity? JB

dardusm
08-30-2003, 05:40 AM
I agree with you. Every chance that I get I will play in a strong tournament. Its a great experience. A chance to play a pro in a meaningful situation for the price of an entry fee! I think some players are apprehensive that they might make a fool out of themselves but so what! A few years back, I had a good showing at the BCA nationals and decided to spend some of the prize money to play in the Sands Regency tournament in Reno. I played my first 3 matches in a backroom where no one else is really watching. I lost my first match but won my next two. Finally, I make it to the 128 player board and have a match in the main tournament room against a young California pro name Neil Fujiwara?. Anyway, there must be a hundred and fifty people watching the matches. Neil beats me 9 - 0 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I shot terrible and he shot great. But I still had a great time and didn't care what anybody else thought. If you want to play in a pro tournament, I say go for it.

cheesemouse
08-30-2003, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So the question is why don't more people take advantage of this opportunity? JB

<hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy B,

This is a question that has been bothering me for a couple decades, ever since I picked the stick back up and began to put my game out there. I began to notice in the pool scene where I was at that time, Portand, Ore that there were few opportunities to compete in actual tournament situations, outside of weekly events at Taverns. After a few months of dabbling in the sub-culture pool scene I became aware of who were the players. Players being a word that at the time I associated with ones abitity or level of play. This guy plays pretty good, this guy plays jam-up, this guy has buck fever, this guy hits the ball good but he has no game and any other evaluation one can think of.
When the first real tournament flyer went up at the place I normally played; field of 64, $75 entry( alot at the time ), I put my entry in a month in advance and made sure I had that weekend off. I thought if I didn't get my money in soon I would miss out because in a city where there were atleast 200 players as good or better than me the thing would surely fill up very quickly. Much to my surprise the tournament director, a man named Kenny Lane, was struggling to fill the field just a week before the kick off date. How naive and green was I? The thing didn't fill and the bulk of the players that did pay and play were from out of town. I simply could not understand this, where were all the local guys that 'played' the game so well, the same guys who had been pounding on me for months, the same guys who told me storys about their exploites in the game ( why don't they use this event to add to their chronicle? )? Well, I found out where these missing players were; they were waiting for the time to pass where entrys were no longer being excepted and the matches were drawn and that's is when they made their appearance's. As the non-players filtered in they all had a story to tell as to why they couldn't play, well damn their luck I thought. After a few hours I notice there were 20/30 of these non-players populating the place and geez, they all had the same story. Well damn there luck, damn their heart...that first event for me was when my definition of 'player' began it's transformation. A player to me now has nothing to do with the physical abiltiy to play the game but rather whether the player takes every opportunity to play in the events in his area. After the event was over I asked my mentor, a gentleman named Kenny Dodd, why these guys that should have played, the same guys who stayed and sweated the whole weekend didn't play? His answer: "It's a [censored] thing".......I never forgot that answer and find that it is still true two decades later....there are players and then there are 'real players' and it has nothing to do with how they hit the ball...If you love the game you play the game; no excuses...

pooljunkie73
08-30-2003, 07:14 AM
tap tap tap

There are those who say they can and there are those who show you they can.

Kent Mc.

Kato
08-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Cheese, very strong. Very strong indeed.

Kato~~~player.......definitely not a "real player" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS. I agree with you though.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Ever hear of the Derby City Classic?
For a mere $50 you can put up your game against a chance of playing Hall of Fame Pool players.
Next year, god and money willing, I will make the trek to Louisville for the 5th time.

You don't have to have a world class game to match up with Pool's best. You just have to have the 'desire' and $50.

9 ball Banks, One Pocket and 9 ball, in 10 days of nothing but POOL, being played by Players.

It's no Johnson City, but, it's the closest thing we have during our time.

I am very fortunate, Hard Times Billiards has TWO large tournaments a year, just before the VERY Large Reno tournaments. Lots of the Reno entrants play in Hard Times' jamboree as a warmup. Check out the site www.hardtimesbilliards.com (http://www.hardtimesbilliards.com) for last June's Summer Jamboree details and this is, and has been, a huge success.

Results of the One Pocket tournament:
1. Santos Sambajon $2,500
2. Scott Frost $1,250
3. Billy Palmer $750
4. Alex Pagulayan $550
5-6. Danny Basavich and Chris Macdonald $350
7-8. Tony Chohan and Ken Crenshaw $225
9-12. Shawn Putnam, Dan Wallace, Roger Estelle and Ronnie Allen $125.

Results of the 9 ball tournament:
1. Alex Pagulayan $5,000
2. Ismael "Morro" Paez $2,500
3. Shannon Bryant $1,250
4. Nick Kruger $750
5-6. John Schmidt and Jerry Matchin $550
7-8. Scott Frost and Dick Lane $400
9-12. Tony Chohan, Shawn Putnam, Dan Wallace and Danny Basavich $300
13-16. Max Eberle, Jesse Bowman, Josh Johnson and Paul Silva $200
17-24. EdwinMontal, Hsin Huang, Jimmy Mendoza, Tommy Lipps, Santos Sambajon, Tony
Ruberto, Joey Gebron and Bernardo Chavez $100.

Entry fees are cheap, lots of great players, and plenty of opportunities to put your game to the TEST.

Can you tell I am having a good time in California?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Find any straight pool players yet?

I think I'm going to play in the Viking stop at Snookers, just for grins, provided I have $45 left after the US Open /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keith Talent
08-30-2003, 02:13 PM
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; In what other sport can ANYONE play in a pro event and have a shot to rack for a pro? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Great point. Before anybody gripes about the game's second-class status and neglect by the media, they might want to think about what great days these are for fans. It's a shame for the pros, of course ... but I used to have the same thoughts about the jazz scene, say, compared with more popular forms of music. You could (can) go see the world's greatest players in a small club, sit down at the bar, and then, in between sets, somebody like Tommy Flannagan would sit down on the next stool and have a couple of words with you! Not gonna happen when you go see the Boss or the Stones. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But as for racking em up in front of the crowd against world class competition ... sounds great in theory ... you first! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2003, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Find any straight pool players yet?
<font color="blue"> No 14.1 players yet.. but you know me... I'll have California Straight Pool League soon. </font color>
I think I'm going to play in the Viking stop at Snookers, just for grins, provided I have $45 left after the US Open /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <font color="blue"> Put up $45 before you leave.. It's worth the experience. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
08-31-2003, 07:38 AM
Hi Wally,

Have fun in the tourney. Hey, cute little monkey there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2003, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Wally,

Have fun in the tourney.

<font color="blue">Well....you are obviously not afraid to step into the fire. I'm just following your example. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Hey, cute little monkey there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">Didn't think you would mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/images/heart.gif 8-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

pooltchr
09-02-2003, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> cute little monkey there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I just wanted to see how that read when taken out of context!

SPetty
09-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Actually, Wally, with help from the beautiful and talented Heater451, it's:

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/iheart8ball.gif

But yours was nice too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif