PDA

View Full Version : What's happening?

stickman
08-30-2003, 10:06 PM
I played in a double elimination eightball tournament today. I played fairly well but finally lost to a player that most people wouldn't have expected me to beat. He did give me chances, I just didn't take full advantage of them. It wasn't that he was unbeatable. I forgave myself for not winning this one, and hoped to get a second chance at him by coming through the loser's bracket.Coming up through the loser's bracket, I played very well. I was up two games on my opponent and made a good run right up to the money ball, even drawing nearly perfect shape. Then I missed the game ball, and let him out. If this wasn't bad enough, I did it again in the same match. I couldn't spot him two games and win. I haven't done this in a while. What's going on here? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
08-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Hum,

Jim that's a tough one to take. Glad to hear your out there playing, that's always good. Not much happening here except the US Open in a few days. I won't be there though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well on another thought CC just got a new cue. Look for a post from Heide in non pool. I'll bet the humidity is just wonderful this time of year, but getting better.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
08-30-2003, 11:49 PM
I really wish I didn't know what you are talking about. But, I do, first hand experience.

Missing two 9s in the same match can get into my head real quick. No time to recover, no time to work on mechanics or mental sharpness.

I go back to my 3 rules about playing.
1. Trust what I do
2. Accept the results no matter what they are, and go on..
3. and, complete my pre-shot routine on every shot.

If I do not follow my rules, I usually end up either missing the shot or bad shape. I accept this and go on.... and just wait for another turn at the table.. if I'm lucky.

Steve Lipsky
08-31-2003, 12:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> 2. Accept the results no matter what they are, and go on.. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom, this is great advice. It's sometimes difficult, but it takes a tremendous amount of pressure off in tough situations.

The guys that aren't scared to miss are the ones that exude confidence, interestingly. At least that's what I find.

Anyway, good post!

- Steve

stickman
09-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the advice Tom. I guess this happens to everyone at some time. Surely it will pass, or at least it BETTER! LOL It is just really puzzling, when you execute a perfect run and then miss a gimme shot on the money ball, and to do this twice in the same match!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess my game is like Kansas weather, if I don't like it, wait a while and it will change. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
09-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Hi, Rod. Yeah, I won't be there either. I hope to get there someday. I read the post about the fantastic love package. It couldn't happen to a nicer family. Fall league starts here soon. I'm on an eightball team. I'd like to play nineball also, but it's not looking like there will be enough teams. We have a local tournament here every Saturday. It switches between eightball and nineball every other week. I'd play every weekend, if I could afford it. I'm going to make an appointment at the local Kansas Rehabilitation Services office Tuesday, and see if they can help me find a part-time job of some sort. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif