PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help

04-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Sorry this isn't pool-related, but since we're all using computers I thought I'd ask for some help.

I'm in the middle of moving and my home office will be set up two rooms away from my tv. Rather than run cable lines all through the rooms for my internet connection, I heard that wireless is the way to go these days. Anyone using wireless, and if so how do you like it? Someone mentioned to me that rather than spend the extra couple of hundred to purchase Time Warner's wireless device (don't know what that's called), you can go with their regular connection and purchase a router and a network card for half the price which would accomplish the same thing. Anyone know anything about that? If anyone has any advice, you can post it here or e-mail me at fdcrimi@msn.com

Much Appreciated,

Fran

04-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Fran,

Using a router will allow more than 1 computer to connect
to the internet using only 1 phone /DSL/or cable conection however there would be a cable running from each computer to the router with the router making the connection to the internet.
There are wireless connections but if you are considering these be aware that they may be less reliable than cable as well as more costly. Depending on what freq. they operate at they may be affected by cordless phone ( 900 MHz range ) or microwave oven.

Hope this helps

Barbara
04-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Fran,

My Sweetie's your boy for computer toys and cable layouts!!! I'm sitting here in my living room roaming on my laptop wireless. Email Pete at prstock@comcast.net.

For a reference, ask Dawn Hopkins.

Barbara~~~got a signed set of CBs for my Hubby's work...

stickman
04-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Another advantage of a router is the built in firewall.

heater451
04-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Wireless works very well, albeit at a lower bandwidth. It runs up to 11 Mega-bits per second, versus a regular ethernet network connection, which runs up to 100 Mbs. For regular surfing/email, this should be plenty, but it's a little slow, if you plan large file transfers. Also, please keep in mind, wireless bandwidth drops over distance, and if there is interference.

I am assuming that you have a cable modem, since you mentioned the TV in your post. You will require the wireless router/hub, which should plug into the cable modem, and a wireless network card for each PC you wish to connect. If you're connecting a laptop, you would need a wireless PCMCIA card.

You can check out buy.com ( http://www.us.buy.com/retail/computers/category.asp?loc=219 ) for some pricing. *Note: last year, this stuff was at least double the price.*

Now, I bought a wireless hub (already had a DSL router) and a card for my fiance's laptop, and she can surf/work from the living room--one room/20ft away. I had purchased Linksys equipment, and it works very well, but I have since discovered one thing that I don't quite like about Linksys, but it really has to do with our router (also Linksys). If I purchased again, I would probably go with Netgear, or maybe D-Link, but I still think the Linksys stuff is well made and problem-free.

Wireless is a great solution, if you don't absolutely need the high bandwidth connection for work or gaming. The elimination of cabling strewn about will be worth it.

Also, in regards to the "Time Warner" thing. Just as a guess, they probably want to charge you more per month, for setting you up for wireless and/or multiple PC connections. If this is true, then you're better off buying a router (and any extra network cards needed).

So, if your connection is Cable(coax)>>modem>>network card(to 1 PC), then a router will let you change to Cable>>modem>>router>>multiple PCs (with NICs--Network Interface Cards). Keep in mind, however, that if you require phone support, your provider will want you to "back down" to the single PC/modem connection, before they can/will help you.

Doctor_D
04-09-2002, 06:05 AM
Good morning Fran:

Wireless access to the Internet is very functional. I use a wireless modem on my Palm Vx as well as my notebook computer. However, when it comes to my desk tops, I prefer hard wired connections. My NYC office computer is connected to a dedicated T1 line (1.54Mbps), while my home desktop is connected to a cable modem. Not as fast as the T1, but significantly faster then dial-up and/or wireless.

Dr. D.

04-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Well, hell, Diana...

You could download the entire Library of Congress with a T-1 line.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I think I'm going to go with the wireless router so I can always reconnect back to the hard line if I have to. Firewalls are a good thing too.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Fran,
I am a Network Engineer and have been experienced in Wireless network connectivity for almost 10 years.

In my home I have a Cable Modem, Router, hub and wireless hub for a desktop and laptop combuter.

No cables from room to room..

I have had this set up for more than 3 years (since Road Runner was available)

What is really nice, it taking the laptop out on the deck in the mornings and reading news, surfing and having a cup of coffee.

Wireless is the way to go.. Bandwidth considerations is always limited to the provider's links anyway.

Cable modems will only provide a 10meg bandwidth, most internet host sites still use T1 connections with only 1.54meg connections. Wireless will still be alot faster than the 1.54meg websites..

Good luck and great seeing ya post again..

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 10:20 AM
100meg connections are over rated.... ISP ususally only provide a DS3 (5Meg) connection to the internet. And, you are still only going to get the maximum speed of the host connections available (and this is usually only 1.54meg at most)

Now if you are talking about a local area network (LAN) that has all 100meg connections, it is screaming..

04-09-2002, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Fran,
I am a Network Engineer and have been experienced in Wireless network connectivity for almost 10 years. <hr></blockquote>

tom, there were some news articles here recently about a county office using wireless connections getting hacked pretty easily. isn't there some advice needed about getting the software (and using it) to encript the stream??? i would expect the hacker to get behind the firewall that way.

dan

04-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Hi Fran, I see you have gotten some help on the subject but I would like to point out a couple things.

1. Most high-speed home Internet connections are anywhere from a 384k to 2-3mbs download speed.

2. Wireless is 10mbs. More than fast enough to handle surfing, etc. If you are transferring large files between the computers in your home on a regular basis, then you will suffer some but still tolerable.

3. Wireless can be successfully secured. You need to read this for all the details. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

4. A wireless hub with built in router is the way to go, it offers some firewall type protection. If you have already got just a wireless hub, you can use a free software firewall solution like Zone Labs "Zone Alarm" and it will work just as well. What your protecting against here, is intruders from the outside, gaining access to your network via the Internet connection. With Wireless, you are vulnerable in a different way, with people accessing your network directly.

Sorry if I re-iterated on a few points but I thought you should see all these points in one post.

Good Luck!!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Yes, encrytion methods are most effective for wireless, firewalls are good and provide additional protection.

The 802.11b IEEE standards have included all the encryption methods needed to protect the users from hackers.
The articles that you have mentioned, were basically referring to the non-802.11b compliant manufactures and some that were thought to be compilant.

Wireless is still a very safe and well protected way to communicate..

04-11-2002, 08:24 PM
When a problem comes along you can whip it! Hi Fran...DJ