PDA

View Full Version : Professional & Amatuer interface

ceebee
08-31-2003, 11:07 AM
I read the other thread about playing with or against pros. Well folks, why not get a Pro-Am started before the Main Tournament kicks off. The Pro-Ams of the golfing world generate capital & they are fun for all. Even the gallery gets to watch their local hero play with a Pro. It makes for lots of memories.

In the golfing world, the pros are sometimes auctioned off to play with the highest bidder & sometimes it's a blind draw for teams. Then a Calcutta or Team auction takes place. The money gets spread across several layers because the Pro-Am is intended for fun & making new friends.

In the meantime jillions of cokes, candy bars, popcorn, peanuts, hot dogs & hamburgers are sold.. plus a few hundred beers are consumed as folks mill around & make new friends or chat with old friends. Everybody gets a chance to be involved & have some fun.

There are so many extras that can be added to a Pool Tournament, to enrich the atmosphere & participation. A 3 Ball tournament, A 9-Ball Break contest to see who can make it on the Break, A FASTEST Break Shot Contest like the Sardo folks do. These activities & more of their kind, allow players from all levels to participate, making a Pool Tournament gathering fun for all.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2003, 06:59 AM
I'm pretty sure the WPBA already does this.

The men, being somewhat unorganized, I would not expect to initiate this anytime soon.

ceebee
09-03-2003, 09:27 AM
I believe the Women Professionals do have a forum where anyone can compete head to head with the Professional Players, in a one game format. But it's not a Tournament, it's more like a "see me standing here while Jeanette runs out" deal. Being Jeanette's Scotch Double partner, while playing Allison & one of your friends a few games, is a much better scenario in my humble opinion.

I referring to playing a Double Elimination Scotch Doubles Pool Tournament as a Professional's Partner. The format could be one game, or two out of three or race to three or whatever the time constraints would permit.

Just start the Pro-Am before the real Tournament gets underway, to allow more interface with the Professionals. Today there isn't much interface, tomorrow there might be & then local & national heroes are adopted, then who knows where the Sport might go. The local Newspaper or TV might give some coverage when local people are involved. How would you like to see yourself & your Professional Partner on the 6 o'clock TV news on some Sunday afternoon.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I believe the Women Professionals do have a forum where anyone can compete head to head with the Professional Players, in a one game format. But it's not a Tournament, it's more like a "see me standing here while Jeanette runs out" deal.

<font color="blue">I believe this usually is done when a pro makes a personal appearance and the money is donated to charity. </font color>

Being Jeanette's Scotch Double partner, while playing Allison &amp; one of your friends a few games, is a much better scenario in my humble opinion.

<font color="blue">That's what I'm talking about. I think the WPBA already does this on the Wednesday night before a tournament.

Where's Fran? She could answer this /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
09-03-2003, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I believe this usually is done when a pro makes a personal appearance and the money is donated to charity. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>As is being done this weekend here in Dallas when Allison Fisher is showing up to a local charity pool tournament to benefit the Genesis Women's Shelter.

7th Annual Genesis 9-Ball Tournament (http://www.genesistournament.com)

Barbara
09-03-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm not Fran, but I can tell you what I see the night before the WPBA event at Valley Forge.

The top 16 WPBA players, or so, each form a team with 3 amateurs. Playing format is "scotch doubles", but each of the 4 team members shoots until their team's inning is over. Sharking is highly encouraged!!

It's a loud event with lots of fun for everyone.

After all that's done, some of the Pros take challenge matches.

The amateurs pay about $100 each to play and all that money plus that raised by the challenge matches is donated to a pre-determined charity.

Barbara~~~remembers the year Ruby and Fran played... oh, the hilarity!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif