PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open Tennis

Kato
08-31-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm watching Federer (who I think is the best male player in the world) and Blake. They just had a 10 duece game in the second set. Great tennis.

Kato~~~just tellin' ya'all

Keith Talent
08-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Kato,

Guy's something to watch, ain't he? One monster shot after another. I didn't tune in till 5-5 in the second set, so missed that epic game, but Blake was playing as well as I've ever seen him, and it just wasn't going to be good enough.

Hard to see anybody beating Federer ... Roddick and Agassi should have some kind of chance but I wouldn't bet on it. That combination of smoothness and power makes me think of Sampras ... almost inspires me to pick up a racquet! Unfortunately I'm in this frame of mind these days where EVERYTHING -- sleep, work, spouse, finances -- seems like a conspiracy to keep me off a pool table ... can't spare 3 hours for tennis out of the pool time budget.

Kato
09-01-2003, 05:28 AM
He just sends it everytime. So smooth, so much talent. He's just got every shot, every answer, every time. Sure Roddick and Agassi have a chance but when Federer is on, he's pretty much unstoppable. I think of Sampras alot as well when I see him but Federer is much more the baseliner though he comes in effectively when he wants to and doesn't have quite the serve. He does however play better from the baseline than Pete and has a better back hand. You are however correct about Blake, he did play great, got the crowd into it, and made me clap several times while sitting on my couch.

Kato~~~won't play tennis, too much running, prefers raquetball instead. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
09-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Best tennis I watched was during the rain delay when they reran the '91 open match of Connors/Kerstein.
todays tennis is too fast.

Kato
09-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Krickstein had a pink racquet grip. Jeez. No way Naz, gotta disagree. Watch any Andy Roddick match. That's good stuff. Crowd gets pumped, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Kato

Keith Talent
09-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Yeah, that poofter grip was painful to look at. And the funky way he hit his forehand, making sure, like a good student in the old style, to put his left foot in front, rather than hitting it open stance.

But he wasn't the only one suffering! This from the Times:

``Does anybody else have to suffer like this year after year,'' Krickstein laughed when telephoned at home by seasoned tennis writer and broadcaster Bud Collins.

``It took me a few days to get over it. It was the most gut-wrenching loss I ever had,'' he said of the 3-6, 7-6, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 defeat.

``But I keep telling my mother if I'd won that match, they'd never show it again and I wouldn't be famous for it,'' Collins wrote in the Chicago Tribune.

Leviathan
09-02-2003, 04:16 PM
I wish you guys could have seen the tennis I saw played in the Sixties and early Seventies; I think you'd appreciate it. The US championships were played on grass at that time, at Forest Hills, and there were some very talented players around. Men's winners at Forest Hills during that period included Fraser, Emerson, Laver, Santana, Newcombe, Stolle, Ashe, and Rosewall. Laver was fantastic, a magician. The public knew him mainly for his great backhand--but he was by far the best volleyer of the era, and he had the best second serve I've ever seen. His concentration and determination were spooky. If his game had a weakness, no one ever found it. Newcombe had a great game; Rafter's game resembles it in many ways. Honorable mention to Rosewall, who won the US Champs in '56 and again in '70, 14 years later. I was at Forest Hills in '68, when Ashe beat Okker, and in '69, when Laver beat Roche, and I'll never forget those experiences. Ah well, nostalgia.

DM

Keith Talent
09-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Gotta eat what I said about Federer ... he got knocked out by a personal nemesis, Nalbandian, who has now beaten him 5 straight times. Great news for Roddick, though. He should get to final now. Only a couple of semi-tough matches for him ... maybe a rematch with Schuettler, who beat him at Australian when he was hurt. And then maybe El-Aynaoui, whom he beat in an epic 5-hour match before that ... and got hurt at the end.

BTW, my wife and I were sitting by Sheep Meadow in Central Park on Sunday and twice saw El-Aynaoui circle by on training run. Mighty big guy!

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Gotta eat what I said about Federer ... he got knocked out by a personal nemesis, Nalbandian, <hr /></blockquote> This is a shocker. Federer has been playing what looked like unstoppable Tennis on the hard courts.

Fred &lt;~~~ go Andre

Kato
09-05-2003, 12:50 PM
In my heart I root for Agassi but my blood pressure goes up watching Roddick pumping 135 mph serves over the net.

Kato

PS. I watched a little of Justine Hennin-Hardine's match last night and I love the way she pounds the ball.

Fred Agnir
09-05-2003, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> PS. I watched a little of Justine Hennin-Hardine's match last night and I love the way she pounds the ball. <hr /></blockquote>Best back-hand in the game. Men or women.

Fred &lt;~~~ picks Justine to win '04 Wimbledon

Keith Talent
09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Thought the new gear Federer seemed to have found would have carried him past that guy ... but the mind's a funny thing. Apparently, Nalbandian could out-steady him and out-guess him in the juniors and so far in the pro ranks, as well. Nothing special in his game ... he was clobbered by Hewitt (who's even steadier) in Wimbledon final last year.

Anyway, looks like an Agassi-Roddick final ... that could be fantastic. Andy has beaten him a couple of times, so he shouldn't be overwhelmed. Hope Ferrero doesn't mess it up by beating Agassi tomorrow ... guess that's a longshot.

And go, Justine! Love that stylish backhand, too.

Kato
09-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Aren't Roddick and Agassi on the same side of the draw. Agassi is seeded 1 and Roddick 4 so shouldn't they play in the semi's.

Fred, you may just be right about Justine. Boy does she flat out belt the ball. Strong player.

Kato

Qtec
09-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Fred, I would agree that she has the best BH in the womens game. Overall, I dont know. Sjeng Schalken , the Dutch player has a magic backhand as well.

What a semi-final against Jennifer C. J.C must be kicking herself. Justine has guts as well as talent. Hope she plays the final.

Q

Keith Talent
09-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Kato,

Don't know why they do this, but often it's 1 vs. 3 and 2 vs. 4 in semis. Anyway, Andre's having some trouble with Ferrero ... lost first set and is losing second. Guy didn't win the French, and lose in final last year, without some game.

And that Justine showed some serious guts last night ... too bad Jen folded, though, spraying shots at the end. Found myself shouting at the tube to Henin: Stop coming in from the baseline -- wait for a short ball! Nearly cost her the match, rushing in from too far back. Great stuff, though.

Kato
09-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Agassi lost but didn't Roddick show great heart and fitness today? I didn't see the womens match tonight, gotta go find out who won.

Kato

Fred Agnir
09-07-2003, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Agassi lost but didn't Roddick show great heart and fitness today? I didn't see the womens match tonight, gotta go find out who won.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>Justine played perfectly, and Kim played her worst match.

Fred

nAz
09-07-2003, 04:24 PM
great match , im glad to see an American win the U.S. Open.

Kato
09-07-2003, 05:54 PM
I was happy to see it to. Damn he was dominate on his serve.

Kato

Keith Talent
09-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Didn't get to see the final but have been reading up on it. Interesting tidbit in Times, saying that Brad Gilbert, along with making some other changes in Roddick's approach, decided that old visor he used to wear had to go -- not intimidating enough.

Guess he played like a tough hombre yesterday with his new head gear.