PDA

View Full Version : Gear survey

BeanDiesel
09-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Hi, I'm looking forward to buying a new playing cue. I'm not really sure yet what kind of cue, and the money i want to invest.
I'd like to know what you guys use.
Can u guys tell me what's the make and model of your cue, weight, cue tip size and what's the hardness of the tip you prefer? Thanks.

Sid_Vicious
09-01-2003, 08:41 AM
All my cues are targeted at 19.5oz, standard length except for a couple of spare shafts gotten in a multi shaft used cue deal or two. All tip diameters are 13-13.25mm, except for my JCs and a Heubler SP @ 14mm. To best answer your question maybe, any standard length weighing 19-19.5oz, without a whippy shaft(reason why I won't own a Meucci), straight taper and a solid hit is what I look for....sid

BeanDiesel
09-01-2003, 05:22 PM
i'd really really appreciate it if more of you would respond to this. thanks.

WaltVA
09-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Schon STL-7, 19.5 oz., 12.5 mm shaft w/Talisman Hard WB tip.

Walt in VA

Rod
09-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Knowing what I play with or others will be of little use. What you should be doing is trying out a few different cues when you have the opportunity. Make note of the weight, balance point, wrap, type of joint, shaft size, taper and what kind of tip and ferrule. Do your homework and ask questions, when your ready to buy, you'll know what to ask or be better informed.

Rod

Jimmy B
09-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Buy a custom cue built to your specs from one of the million budding cuemakers out there. You can get good value and support someone trying to get started. Often times these guys will go the extra mile and work with you on exactly what you want. There are many guys who visit this forum who may be able to help you out. JB

Kato
09-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Currently I use an Omen Custom, 19.3 oz, medium taper shafts, ivory ferrules, Tailsman Pro Medium tips.

An old Cuetec jump/break beater is on the other side of the case, 19 oz, Tailsman x-tra hard tip.

For Christmas this year however that old beater will be sold and replaced by a Omen Ebony Ghost, 2 shafts, 1 Tailsman x-tra hard, 1 phenolic tip.

However in the past I've owned a couple of Helmstetters that hit great. A few Predators that are still out there though I sold them that the current owners really like. I've had a Predator shaft customized for one of my Helmstetters that I just couldn't hit.

I think Rod's advice is correct however. Hit with as many cues and combinations as you can. Take notes on the cues you hit with, weight, tip size, and tip hardness. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a great deal about your game in the mean time.

Good luck and have fun.

Kato

Ward
09-02-2003, 07:40 AM
BD

I have several cues. I have bought production and custom cues. I would take Jimmy suggestion and try to find a local cue maker and have one built. You might find that a cue maker has what you want ready and waiting but if that is not the case they will build to your specs. The cost will be about the same...

Later

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Already been said here,,,try cues when you are in the PH and you find someone agreeable to you hitting a few balls. If a Schon feels right, shop internet prices and then the next time a local has one for sale you might have found your cue. Thing is, you'll get A LOT OF INDIVIDUAL likes and dislikes with your original question. Only you will know when you find a cue that feels right for you.

I used Schon as an example only, but many people really swear by them. jm2c...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Although I agree with Rod I will answer your questions anyway. You are obviously just trying to get a feel for what's out there being used.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr>

I'd like to know what you guys use.
Can u guys tell me what's the make

<font color="blue">McDermott </font color>

and model

<font color="blue">I have two. Can't remember the exact model. </font color>

of your cue, weight,

<font color="blue">19 oz. and 19 1/2 oz. </font color>

cue tip size

<font color="blue">13mm. Actually one shaft is now 12.5 mm since I sanded it too much /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>

and what's the hardness of the tip

<font color="blue">Elk Master. They are pretty soft. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
09-02-2003, 01:07 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=79717&amp;page=&amp;vie w=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

dmgwalsh
09-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Viking VM-13 19 1/2 ounces with a predator shaft, talsiman tip.
Viking VM-25 19 1/2 ounces dnk tp
Falcon AC-15 Jump/break cue 18 ounces going to put a phenolic tip on it.

Go to a billiard supply store and try some out.