PDA

View Full Version : To Corner Billiards, Ria, and Arthur

Barbara
04-08-2002, 08:51 PM
For the record, I've never been to a tournament that finished up so quickly on both days. Because Corner Billiards has sooooo many tables, the whole first round could start at once. What a diff that makes!! We finished up by 7 Saturday night. I actually ate dinner before 10 for once!! Arthur ran a great tournament as he did the chart for Mic and me and I can't tell you what relief and stress that takes off us. Carol, if you're reading this, tell me what I can do for the both of them next year. Nuts, maybe?

Then on Sunday, I was treated to some really great matches ending with Kim Shaw just over powering Ying-Ya Lin in the finals. Ying-Ya really tried, but I could tell that Kim was more tournament seasoned and even though they both had to deal with a questionable rail on the table, Kim's experience won out.

Danny Barouty was loads of fun to chat with and MIA was Steve Lipsky. But he was "happily" losing to Jose Parica at Amsterdam. Did I miss any other CCB posters that never, ever come up to me to intro themselves to me?? (And why???)

And last but not certainly least, Corner Billiards has some of the best smoke/air management I've ever seen. Saturday night when we left at 7 pm I should've been trying to crawl out of myself with disgust from the smoke, but it didn't even stink up my hair all that bad! I was IMPRESSED!! I said this to Danny B on Sunday and he winced and told me that it does get worse, depending on the clientele, but Sunday I was still able to smell through my nose. If you are a non-smoker and find yourself in Manhattan, Corner is the place to go that does has smoking, but doesn't smell like an ashtray dumped in water!

And the music is great!! I don't know whether it's a jukebox or picked by the people working there or what, but I was bopping to Aretha Franklin (RESPECT got my game going) during my first match on Sat. and jazzing out on Sunday watching the winners move on. Total albums were played. Great, GREAT music!! Two thumbs up with snaps!!

The only downside that eclipsed the whole weekend was getting stuck in 2 hours of gridlock trying to get to the Holland Tunnel. I will NEVER do the Holland Tunnel again. I can't believe the stupidity of drivers that block intersections. I was looking forward to driving home in daylight but ended up taking out my contacts and wearing my glasses for the nighttime drive home. I almost had an anxiety attack. 4 tenths of a mile in 2 hours!! I got bumped and flipped the finger. Next time, go uptown and do the Lincoln tunnel to exit 16 on the NJ turnpike. Yeah, it's at least a half hour to 1 out of your way, but at least you're moving. And if you're driving a manual trans, all that much more important.

Barbara~~~was last seen doing 80 on the TP going home....

Barbara
04-08-2002, 09:11 PM
I was hoping to see Fran and didn't.

I was bummed.

Barbara<---was bummed

04-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Barbara, I really wanted to be there but am in the middle of packing, painting, moving... all that kind of fun stuff. In a couple of months you're going to have trouble getting rid of me. LOL!

Fran

CarolNYC
04-09-2002, 04:39 AM
Hey Barb,
Yes Im reading this-:)-and agree with everything you've stated-Corner is home for many of us-and we have to thank Vahe Andonian for his excellent scorekeeping-and now I have to shout out a personnal THANKYOU to my teachers Danny Barouty and Fran Crimi for their patience,support,knowledge and expertise in training me-God blessed me when I found them-I have two of the best and they are in my heart when I shoot!WORD-up!-and as for the NUTS,I'll look into it!
See you in two weeks-Have a great week!Hi to the Big-Guy!
Oh,whenever you leave Manhatten, tune to 1010 wins-gives you the traffic-then you can take an alternate route!
Carol

Doctor_D
04-09-2002, 05:58 AM
Good morning Barbara:

On your next excursion into Manhattan, why not park at the Metro-Park Train Station in Iselin which is close to Exit 11 off the NJ Turnpike. NJ Transit, for a $10.25 round trip ticket, will deliver you to Penn Station in about 40 minutes.

Dr. D.

04-09-2002, 09:35 AM
. Did I miss any other CCB posters that never, ever come up to me to intro themselves to me?? (And why???)

Hi Barb,

I was at Corner on Sat.(just shooting some stick) and must have missed most of the girls that were playing. Sorry I missed you! Actually, I don't know what you look like. Either way, it's a small world that keeps getting smaller and I'll just have to hunt you down, next time.

For an easier trip to Corner from NJ:
Take a train to Penn Station, walk 1 block East to 34 & 6(Herald Sq), take N/R Downtown train to Union Sq, walk south on University to 12th, walk east 1 block to 4th, south 1 blk to Corner
OR
Bus to Port Authority, walk in Subway tunnel to Times Sq, take N/R train downtown, see above for rest.

Eric >NYC battle worn commuter, with the shoes to prove it

Barbara
04-09-2002, 11:16 AM
As well you should, Eric! We ended around 7pm Saturday night.

Thanks for the commuter info. Next time I just might have to take the train into the city because I was a basket case when I got home.

Barbara

04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey Barb,

I goofed on the directions-when you're on 12th, walk TWO blks east to 4th, then south 1 blk to Corner. From 12th, I forgot that you cross Broadway, before hitting 4th. Sorry!

Eric >or is it cirE

Holly
04-09-2002, 02:12 PM
Here here Barbara! I totally agree : ) I want to thank you, Micaela, Arthur, Ria and the entire staff at Corner Billiards for making my first time playing in NYC a fantastic experience. I cannot hardly wait for the next opportunity! Corner Billiards is such a class act, from the fantastic staff, to the conditions of the tables and equipment, the great music to play by and the wonderful croissants and coffee offered every morning.

Also, I owe a thousand thanks and hugs to the entire Clark clan for opening their home and warm hospitality to me this past weekend.

I also want to say how much I enjoyed meeting several players I had not met before (enjoyed the safety games with Stu, talking a bit with Danny - nice hat sir, Kim - such a beautiful game and Noreen - we need to swap cat stories)and the chance to see a few players that I had not seen in many years (hi Abby!).

I also want to say, Dr. D - you played very well this weekend, don't know when you were knocked out, but I got the opportunity to watch part of one of your matches and you played beautifully. Keep up the good work lady : )

Bless you all and see you soon,

Holly

04-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Please tell me you're not moving out of NY Fran. Who would take over your Sunday workshops at Corners? It's one thing to teach less, now that you are playing tournaments more; but does this mean that you are giving up teaching all together?

DerickCue

TomBrooklyn
04-09-2002, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr>The only downside that eclipsed the whole weekend was getting stuck in 2 hours of gridlock trying to get to the Holland Tunnel. I will NEVER do the Holland Tunnel again. <hr></blockquote>Hi Barbara, I use the Holland on Sundays sometimes and I usually encounter a back-up, but usually it's only about 10 to 15 minutes. There are a lot of ways to approach the Holland. I usually go west on Canal Street or head in east from West Street (The old West Side Highway).

Going south on Varick Street or trying to go cross town into Varick could be a problem, though I'm not sure if thats the way you went. If you see a really big back-up, there are ways to bail out and head around to approach from another direction; though if you don't know all the streets, that could back-fire on you. Anyway, it's not normally nearly THAT bad.

If the whole thing is a total disaster/ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif which doesn't happen that often, you could go up to the Lincoln or alternately, go down West Street, through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ($4.00, but fast compared to the Brklyn Bridge), take the Gowanus, get off at 39th Street and stop by my place for a coffee, get back on and go over the Verrazano through Staten Island and over the Gothels to the NJ Turnpike Exit 13. It's actually all fast though the VZB will get you for another $7.00. You'll save a little on a shorter Turnpike run. You can even go down Staten Island, go over the Gothels, and catch the Turnpike at Exit 11, but I think the Gothels may have construction going on now.

I'm sorry I missed going to Corner last weekend. I wanted to drop in for some play and say hi; but regretably for me it didn't work out; and besides, you didn't promise any nuts./ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Barbara
04-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Yep Tom, I went Varick Street. 2 hours and I went 4 tenths of a mile. What the heck was going on that day that it got backed up so quickly? I mean by 6 pm the theaters should have been done, right?

Barbara

Doctor_D
04-09-2002, 06:34 PM
Good evening Holly:

Thank-you for those kind words of encouragement.

Dr. D.

Doctor_D
04-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Good evening:

There is actually an easier and more direct entrance to the N/R and the Q/W Trains at 32nd Street and 6th Avenue. Greeley Square.

Dr. D.

Barbara
04-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Hey Holly!

I'm sure I'll be traveling down to your tour for an event or two. It was great to have met you again since I really don't remember meeting you before but you say we have and your name has been on the points list for a while!

That was one of THE better pool halls I've played at in a long, long time. Thank God it wasn't smokey on Sunday or it would've made sitting in my car that much worse!! And those croissants were great along with the free coffee. What a place that was!!

Barbara~~~still has yet to open up that bag of those halapeno potato chips she bought at the cafe...

04-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Goodness sakes, DerickCue...you've got me leaving town AND giving up teaching. You left out the part about my marrying the crowned prince of Watchamacallit.

Really...NYC is my home. I love it here. No, I'm not leaving the City and I love teaching too. No plans to give that up either. Just moving to a bigger place with a long sought-after commoditiy in NYC --- closet space.

I'll keep you posted on the crowned prince.

Regards,
Fran

CarolNYC
04-10-2002, 05:24 AM
Hey Holly,
It was my pleasure,ANYTIME!
Carol

CarolNYC
04-10-2002, 05:28 AM
Barbara,
Sundays out and into Manhatten between 4-8,always traffic-especially the tunnels-take the bridges!
Carol

CarolNYC
04-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Hey Tom,
Its the Manhatten Bridge,the Gowanus,through Staten Island to the Outerbridge,then she gets on the turnpike at exit 10-alot closer to her destination!After she has coffee with you:)
Carol~more tolls,less traffic!

04-10-2002, 09:54 AM
What's up Carol,

Actually, I was at Corner , on Sat., for a little while. I was shooting in the front and might have got there after youse(!) were all gone. I'll have to catch one of your matches next time!

Peace,

E &gt;don't worry,not a stalker...

Barbara
04-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Yes Carol, there HAS to be a better way!! So let your Seetie give me new directions out of town next time because I will NEVER, EVER go the Holland Tunnel again!!!

Barbara~~~no marks on her back bumper from that a-wipe that bumped her.... grrrrrrr.....

Barbara
04-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Typo alert!! I meant "Sweetie", not "Seetie"...

Soooooo... how are those "ape hangers" doing now??? How much longer have his arms gotten???

Barbara~~~warning, they are illegal in NJ....

04-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Forgive me for being a sadist, Barbara, but I'm sitting here laughing at your NYC traffic "issues." Hahahahahahaha!

You people have no idea how spoiled you are. Step out your front or side door, directly into your garage with your nice clean car waiting for you. Drive where you need to go without sitting in traffic. Then when you get there, you're stress-fee and there's a place to park right in front. Ain't it the truth Carol? Hahahahahaha!

I was driving in Manhattan the other day and saw this on the back of a truck:

HOW'S MY DRIVING?
CALL 1-800-EAT S##T

Sorry Barbara, but it's just too funny. I guess that's why Sinatra sang "... if you can make it there you'll make it anywhere."

I just figured out how to toughen up the players. Have more tournaments at Corner Billiards!

Happy Travels,

Fran

04-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Fran...You are SUCH a crackup! LOL! LMAO! Indeed, how could any of us who love teaching so much, even think about giving it up? NOT! Now, about that rent-controlled apt! LOL

Scott Lee

CarolNYC
04-11-2002, 04:36 AM
Fran,That is too funny and the absolute truth! ha ha ha-I spoke to a girl from Alabama and she said in Alabama, they usually drive down the road and wave to eachother, so I said,"Yeah, NY has a wave,too-its either the finger or if we can get the chance, the whole arm goes out the window!"LMAO
See you soon!
Carol~Tried the Alabama wave, got the NY finger-ha ha ha!

CarolNYC
04-11-2002, 04:42 AM
Stick to the road,stay clear of the moors-(American Werewolf in London)
But, stick to the bridges, stay clear of the tunnels!ha ha ha-especially Sunday evenings!Too funny!
Carol

CarolNYC
04-11-2002, 04:51 AM
Hi there Scott Lee,
You made an excellent point there-"Someone who loves teaching"-in another thread posted, it was asked about the qualities of a good teacher-the fact that they LOVE teaching and CARE of their students progress is an important factor,like your Kindergarten teacher-you never forget them!:)
Take care!
Carol

04-11-2002, 06:13 AM
Yea Fran...Up here A few weeks ago, I was driving for quite a while on one of these long winding and very scenic two lane roads here in Vermont (The nearest regulation tables are about 75 miles from where I'm staying) Anyway, at one point a farmer appeared in the road with his hand signaling me to stop. It was a "CATTLE XING" So, I sat and waited until maybe 50 or so cows crossed. I started to wonder if this was an inconvenience, but then I remembered the days when I had to drive down 7th Av to the 20s from 42nd st about once or twice a week!

Bobby

04-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Carol...Yep, and there are MANY more of us "care-givers" out there, regardless of what Kimmel said about BCA instructors! There are certainly 'less' qualified people that are part of the program, but like Fran put it so well...they are being slowly but surely weeded out! Thanks for your kind words!

Scott Lee

04-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey Scott, well, if you can't laugh you might as well cry. That's how I figure it. LOL

You're right about teaching. Give it up? May as well give up my right arm.

Rent controlled apartment? Puhleeze! Ha! If you managed to stay in one place since the '60's then you're probably rent-controlled, otherwise, you're like the rest of us, scrambling for a place that won't take you to the poor house.

Good luck with your teaching. Sounds like you're getting around these days. Give me a call when you get to the Northeast.

Fran

Barbara
04-11-2002, 11:25 AM
More tournaments in Manhatten???

Yeah, that would certainly give me an addytood!

Barbara~~~now she knows why the NYers are like they are...

Doctor_D
04-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Good afternoon:

NYC Attitude!

Work here as a commuter for 20 years and you will not only have "Attitude" you will have develped a NYC Edge...

Dr. D.

04-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Awwwww...c'mon Barbara. Don't take it to heart. It was all in good fun. It's just that we have to live through that every day. It just feels good to see someone else have to walk a mile in your shoes once in a while. Believe me, I know what you went through with that traffic. It isn't easy.

Fran

04-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Carol, Stop! You're making my side hurt, I'm laughing so hard!

The thing is that over here, they'll yell at each other, give the NY wave and then they move on. No time to stop and argue. Some guy bumped me in the back a few weeks ago. I got out, took a quick look, saw the scratch, said "whatever" and just kept going. LOL

Fran ~~~ accumulates scratches and gets them all fixed at once.

04-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Bobby, you just reminded me of when the Ringling Bros. Circus came to town, they would walk the elephants into Manhattan through the Midtown Tunnel. It was the only time of the year when NYC had that country smell to it. I hear they stopped it last year because trip was too rough for the elephants. I miss the elephants but I'm happier for their well-being.

Fran

facets58
04-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Carol &amp; Fran, next time I'm in NY (Oct 2-6 hopefully) the first rounds on me.

You gals are too much..."or if we can get the chance, the whole arm goes out the window. HA HA HA HA!!!!!"
You just gotta love Carol.

Should I call Corner Billiards for the 2002 RTC??? HA HA HA!!!

Mike Hurst

Barbara
04-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Do that and you're DEAD MEAT!!!!

Barbara

Barbara
04-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Fran, I missed seeing you there. It's a great pool hall, Corners. I've never had a better time and a quicker tourny.

Yes, I can cope with traffic (I never beeeped once, I know it's rude), but the lack of cops keeping the gridlock from happening and keeping the drivers from blocking the intersections was what I don't understand. I know traffic etiquette. I got horn blown from behind because I wouldn't advance because I would block. That's where my angst and anxiety was. I took Driver's Ed. Yeah, I guess I live in "rural". If you parked in my driveway you wouldn't have to lock your doors to your car.

And NJ is busting out in all sorts of beautiful colors right about now with all the orchards and farms coming in to the new green of spring. What a color!! It's SPRING and a NEW GREEN IS HERE!!

Barbara~~~also putting in a new sailboat in the water this weekend... Fran should come down for a sail...

04-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Well Barbara, you've got me over a barrel. You have a beautiful new Trans Am, a computer maven hubby, a brand new sail boat, you live in a beautiful rural setting with lots of green bursting out all over...sounds like perfection.

I drive a 1996 Toyota with scratches and in dire need of an oil change. I share a living space with a parrot who bites my toes and I practice at midnight because traffic's lighter. Not gone, mind you...just lighter.

You win. Haha!

Fran

facets58
04-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Barbara,

You know I would't do that to you.

Mike--

CarolNYC
04-12-2002, 04:59 AM
My dearest friend Mr. Mike Hurst,
I know you'll be slowly headed East with the RTC and I'll be here for you!And Barabara, along with the new car and sailboat, get a Manhatten car!ha ha ha!
Stay well Mike,always thinking of you!
Carol

Barbara
04-12-2002, 01:47 PM
...If I had your looks and talent, I'd be all set!! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Barbara