PDA

View Full Version : Playing off the Rail (The Movie)

Irish
09-02-2003, 09:32 PM
With chat about pool movies and the people wanting a good one I wonder why this book is never mentioned. This book would make for a great movie if it was done with the right actors and a director that was true to the book and the pool scene.

L.S. Dennis
09-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Irish,

Funny you should mention that because I did speak with Tony Annigoni about that (you'll remember of couse that he was the true character in 'playing off the rail' and at one time he told me that there was some talk about doing a film of it. You're right, that book would make a good movie. At least it's based on reality.

bolo
09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
You need a michael Moore type to do a real documenatry. It would be great.

jjinfla
09-03-2003, 06:38 AM
I am rereading the book now and it means a lot more now that I can put faces to the names in book. I have met several, and watched others on video, and read about others, and learned more about the game since the last reading so the book is more enjoyable this time.

Who would play Bucktooth?

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>

........Who would play Bucktooth?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Does bucktooth have a website? I couldn't find it in google.

I just reread that book on my vacation. Very entertaining. Would make a great movie.

Fred Agnir
09-03-2003, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I just reread that book on my vacation. Very entertaining. Would make a great movie. <hr /></blockquote>I think much of it would make for good movie scenes, but ... (spoiler for those who haven't read it)

then ending sucked (if a movie was the goal). The hero isn't even in the big climax, if there was one. Maybe they can make the final score the big climax.

Fred &lt;~~~ likes big climaxes

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

...Maybe they can make the final score the big climax.

Fred &lt;~~~ likes big climaxes <hr /></blockquote>

Well of course it would have to be embellished. Consider the 2 or 3 days it took to set up some of the scores. That would have to be compressed mightily to hold folks' attention. Maybe Tony could match up with Archie the Greek or Amarillo Slim in the last scene /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Barbara
09-03-2003, 10:46 AM
The book's kind of old. Some of it would have to be rewritten with newer players.

The ending could be a big showdown between Tony and maybe one of the Filipino players.

Barbara

Aboo
09-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I just finished reading this book a week or so ago and I thought the "age" of the book made it MORE compelling, not less. To folks that know pool anyway. Cornbread Red... what a name lol

L.S. Dennis
09-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Wally,
Check this out:
www.crbucktooth.com (http://www.crbucktooth.com)

Brady_Behrman
09-03-2003, 09:03 PM
I AGREE, What a Great Movie it would make..

I think if you took that book and Grady's Book(Bet High, Kiss Low) the movie would do great..

bolo
09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
You know, enough goes on at your tournament, that a short documentary, something like Pumping Iron, could be done right there. If you have never seen Pumping Iron, watch, it and imagine it being about pool. It could be submitted to film festivals as well as sold. If I had an experty in that area, I would consider doing it. I am sure there are a few Spike Lee or Michael Moore want-to-be types out there that may want to give it a shot. I would love to see a real down to earth documentary on pool. Maybe something like the Discovery channel might be persuaded to look in to it. I just saw a nice piece they did on custom motorcycles. I really have no interest in seeing another COM treatment of pool, and all that BS. a hardcore documentary would fill the bill.