PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup Coming to Vegas!

Luke Riches
09-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Matchroom Sport can announce that the venue for the 2003 Mosconi Cup will be the biggest in Las Vegas - the MGM Grand.

Taking place from Thursday to Sunday 18th - 21st December, this will be the tenth anniversary of the pool world’s most prestigious team tournament. It will also be the first time in the Mosconi Cup’s glittering history that it will be taking place on North American soil.

Both teams will be announced soon and with Team Europe coming to the US as cup holders, the competition should be intense.

Packages including flights, hotels and tickets will be announced shortly when a new look www.mosconicup.com (http://www.mosconicup.com) is launched for 2003.

Commented Matchroom Sport Chairman, Barry Hearn “The Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas is something that the world of pool has been collectively dreaming about for a long time and I am delighted to say that it is now a reality.

“After nine years in the UK, this changes the whole complexion of this great event and it takes pool up to the next level.

“We want as many fans as possible to come and join in this celebration of the great game and we will be announcing some very affordable travel packages very shortly.”

Jimmy B
09-03-2003, 03:32 AM
To close to Christmas. Do they celebrate Christmas in Vegas???? JB

PS GO USA !

jjinfla
09-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Mosconi Cup - Vegas - Earl Strickland - How sweet it is.
Jake

JohnBarton
09-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Is is going to be broadcast on American television?

John

Barbara
09-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but do "real" pool players care about Christmas? Or any other holiday, for that matter.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> Is is going to be broadcast on American television?

John
<hr /></blockquote>

Last year there were 4 hours of highlights on ESPN. Did you see it? It was quite entertaining. Plus Corey Deuel made one of the best shots I have ever seen.

RedHell
09-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Are you reffering to the powerdraw shot on the 2 after the push out ? If so, that was a hell of a shot.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-03-2003, 11:29 AM

Kato
09-03-2003, 12:55 PM
I kept trying that shot over and over and over, couldn't get it to work.

Kato~~~can't shoot like Cory............Duel. I'll whip Cory Feldman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vagabond
09-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Hello Mate,
Match room has proved itself for it`s buisiness Savvy but I am wondering about this decision.I hope u will succeed.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Billy
09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Luke Riches:</font><hr> Matchroom Sport can announce that the venue for the 2003 Mosconi Cup will be the biggest in Las Vegas - the MGM Grand.

Taking place from Thursday to Sunday 18th - 21st December, this will be the tenth anniversary of the pool world&amp;#8217;s most prestigious team tournament. It will also be the first time in the Mosconi Cup&amp;#8217;s glittering history that it will be taking place on North American soil.

Both teams will be announced soon and with Team Europe coming to the US as cup holders, the competition should be intense.

Packages including flights, hotels and tickets will be announced shortly when a new look www.mosconicup.com (http://www.mosconicup.com) is launched for 2003.

Commented Matchroom Sport Chairman, Barry Hearn &amp;#8220;The Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas is something that the world of pool has been collectively dreaming about for a long time and I am delighted to say that it is now a reality.

&amp;#8220;After nine years in the UK, this changes the whole complexion of this great event and it takes pool up to the next level.

&amp;#8220;We want as many fans as possible to come and join in this celebration of the great game and we will be announcing some very affordable travel packages very shortly.&amp;#8221;

<hr /></blockquote>

wish you all the luck and good fortune with this fantastic event in Vegas but this is not the UK Luke.

you seem to have no problem filling the stands on your side of the creek but Christmas time in the desert?

don't be 'let down' if the crowds are not what you are accustomed to

you need to hold this much heralded event during an APA,BCA,or VNEA event imo

all the best

charlieb
09-03-2003, 08:13 PM
That shot by Corey ranks right up there with the best that I have seen. He stroked the ball so well that the 2 ball actually stopped, kept spinning, took hold and chugged back up the table like a locomotive for great position! Blew me away.

Hopster
09-03-2003, 10:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> To close to Christmas. Do they celebrate Christmas in Vegas???? JB

PS GO USA ! <hr /></blockquote>

I think i saw a christmas tree here once.

Alfie
09-03-2003, 11:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr> He stroked the ball so well that the 2 ball actually stopped, kept spinning, took hold and chugged back up the table like a locomotive ... <hr /></blockquote>It's called new cloth ...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr>... for great position!<hr /></blockquote>... but he did stroke it well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnBarton
09-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I saw some of them. I am asking whether we wil get matches in their ENTIRETY like they get in just about every other country than here. I just fail to comprehend why things like cheerleading contests and spelling bees are shown in their entirety and yet pool cannot get shown without cutting the matches to shreds. I would like to go see the Mosconi cup in Vegas. I probably will not get to go since it is very close to Christmas. I would pay to see it on TV but that will probably not happen.

I sincerely hope that it gets some decent advertising outside the billiard press.

John

RedHell
09-04-2003, 09:28 AM
John, I'd like to contact you, could you give me an e-mail I can use...

Thanks,

Genie
09-06-2003, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> Yeah, I saw some of them. I am asking whether we wil get matches in their ENTIRETY like they get in just about every other country than here. I just fail to comprehend why things like cheerleading contests and spelling bees are shown in their entirety and yet pool cannot get shown without cutting the matches to shreds. I would like to go see the Mosconi cup in Vegas. I probably will not get to go since it is very close to Christmas. I would pay to see it on TV but that will probably not happen.

I sincerely hope that it gets some decent advertising outside the billiard press.

John <hr /></blockquote>

Come on! What better place to spend Christmas time than Las Vegas??? I did actually spend Thanksgiving in Vegas one year with my extended family, it made for a great vacation. Do the same at Christmas! Think about what the players are going through. If they're willing to spend the holidays there than we can too.

I do agree with you about the cheerleading, spelling bee, oh and don't forget about all of those reality shows that are getting more air time than professional billiards events.

My loose change /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hopster
09-06-2003, 10:37 PM
I do agree with you about the cheerleading, spelling bee, oh and don't forget about all of those reality shows that are getting more air time than professional billiards events.

My loose change &lt;--Genie

Would you beleive they are actually showing Darts a few times this week on fox sports world ?? Darts ????

L.S. Dennis
09-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey Hopster,

This is great news about the Mosconi cup in your home town!
What's the weather like around Christmas? I can't think of a better way to spend the Christmas holiday!

I suspect this will be more exciting than the U.S. Open, natually the rest of the world will see more of it on tv than we will. What a shame!

jjinfla
09-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Quote John Barton:
... I am asking whether we wil get matches in their ENTIRETY like they get in just about every other country than here. I just fail to comprehend why things like cheerleading contests and spelling bees are shown in their entirety and yet pool cannot get shown without cutting the matches to shreds
_____
It's simple JB - Those other shows get more viewers.

I would venture to say that if you polled the pool players you would probably find only about 10% of them watch pool on TV. And in the non-pool playing public about only .0000001% watch it. If that many.

If a TV show does not draw viewers then it is hasta la bye bye for that show. Sponsors (the people who pay to run their TV commercials) will not bother if the viewership is down.

My wife was watching the Tennis Open yesterday and I happened to walk by as they were panning the spectators. I couldn't believe how many fans they had in the stands. When sponsors see all those fans they do not see people, they see dollar signs.

A sponsor is not going to give you $100,000 for a 15 second commercial unless he is going to get $200,000 in sales out of it.

It's the same old story, money talks, BS walks.

Unfortunately, the pros in pool just do not know how to attract an audiance, They don't care about fans, the UPA proved that, all they want to do is quibble among themselves and brag about their great gambling escapades.

Here you have the US Open about a week away and instead of ALL the pool players touting it, praising it, publicizing it, they do nothing but put it down. I believe that some promotors actually want to see Berhman, and the US Open, actually fail. Just out of pure jealousy.

They fail to realize that old adage that rising water lifts all ships.

But I have given up any hope of Pro Pool changing in my lifetime so I just watch what is on TV now and am thankful to get that. Could pool on TV be better? Hell yes. But it is a good start.

And now that football season is here, who the hell wants to watch pool?

Jake---In the tennis Open "the cute American boy" (My wife's words) was down two sets and the other guy was on game, set, match point and the American pulled it out. Talk about excitement! Where is the excitement in Pool?

Genie
09-07-2003, 05:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Hey Hopster,

This is great news about the Mosconi cup in your home town!
What's the weather like around Christmas? I can't think of a better way to spend the Christmas holiday!

I suspect this will be more exciting than the U.S. Open, natually the rest of the world will see more of it on tv than we will. What a shame! <hr /></blockquote>
Then that's it. Let's all get together in Vegas for the Mosconi Cup. Think of it as a huge family get together! Bring your family, do a little gambling, enjoy warmer climates, and have a nice vacation. Oh, and watch some kick a$$ pool as well. Let's do it!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

L.S. Dennis
09-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Genie,
That sounds like a great idea, maybe the people from this board would like to do a party thing in Vegas similar to what they'er doing for the US Open. Wouldn't that be a gas!!!